• WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 8/25/11

Posted by on August 25th, 2011 · Comments (12)

Feel free to use this entry as a place for you to comment on anything Yankees-related (or within reach of tagging the bag of being Yankees-related on a decent slide) today. It could be a casual conversation offering, or, something you saw in the news, or something very detailed that you want to share that’s within the territory of Yankeeland.

Just remember: keep it Yankees-focused.

Also, feel free to use this post as a place to share your opinions, observations, complaints, rooting, and other sundry comments with fellow fans during the playing of the Yankees game today (if there is one).

Or, comment on something that someone else has posted here in the comments…

And, of course, please, also be mindful of the WasWatching.com Community Standards.

Comments on WasWatching.com Water Cooler Talk 8/25/11

1. redbug
      August 25th, 2011 | 6:24 am

I’m missing posts from Steve.

2. clintfsu813
      August 25th, 2011 | 7:30 am

I’m sorry..buy these 2 recent losses really annoy me.

3. G.I. Joey
      August 25th, 2011 | 10:22 am

@ clintfsu813:
      Me too. I feel like we’re giving the division away.

4. Corey Italiano
      August 25th, 2011 | 12:21 pm

@ G.I. Joey:
      Besides the fact that it doesn’t really matter, we’re only 1 game back.

5. ken
      August 25th, 2011 | 3:52 pm

As I watch this afternoon another horrific performance by the pitching and lack of timely hitting (as of the 3rd inning) it is amazing that this team has the record that it does. I’m afraid that:

• the clock has struck midnight on the starting pitching and the Colon’s, Garcia’s and Hughes’s are becoming the pumpkins that they are;
      • Gardner’s brief offensive breakout is over and he is returning to form
      • age is catching up for this veteran team.
      • Soriano really is an overpaid, overrated league-average reliever
      • Tex is a great player but not quite good enough to carry this team for a stretch

Hope that this is just one of those slumps but perhaps not……

6. ken
      August 25th, 2011 | 3:55 pm

Missing out on the Lee trade at last year’s non-waiver deadline may impact this team’s fortunes for years.

7. JeremyM
      August 25th, 2011 | 6:50 pm

Lot of doom and gloom for a game that they are currently up by 11 in :)

The starting pitching is becoming a concern though….

8. KPOcala
      August 25th, 2011 | 8:24 pm

The Yanks have by far the best run differential in baseball. They have the best outfield, a catcher that’s having a really good year, and if not the best, then no lower than the second best right side of the infield. The Yankees old? Does anyone think that Boston is an young team? Oh, and for an old non-athletic team it’s interesting that the Yankees are first in the majors in home runs and base stealing. Oh, and before some of you guys take a cyanide pill, the team also has the second best team ERA in their league, all the more impressive considering their division.
      However, it remains to be seen if the Yankee pitchers have the stones to pitch in October. The flip side of that is that the other team’s starters aren’t going to enjoy pitching to that lineup, especially if A-Rod starts swinging the lethal bat. Let’s see if the Sept. call-ups yield a secret weapon that could tilt the field in the play-offs. Lord knows I’ve seen teams do it to the Yankees over the years……..

9. KPOcala
      August 25th, 2011 | 10:22 pm

“Answer me these questions three, ere the other side ye see”:

1. Is this Yankee outfield the best offensive/defensive trio in the last 40 years?

2. Can anyone name a better trio from any club that’s better than the above in the same time period?

3. Should the Yankees make every effort to try to identify and use some of the ‘blue chip’ prospects in the play-offs?

10. ken
      August 25th, 2011 | 10:26 pm

OK so my post was premature but despite today’s ending I am still worried about what I wrote above. I am more concerned about how we play against the better teams and in the post season than a freakish game against OAK.

11. KPOcala
      August 25th, 2011 | 10:27 pm

@ ken: If the Yankees gave up three blue chip prospects for Lee and then failed to sign him, what then? And then if they did sign him, for all that money and potential talent lost and he blew his shoulder out, how devastating would that have been? And as an aside, isn’t the scenario of paying big money for a pitcher on the wrong side of thirty been the scorn of Yankee fans over the last decade?

12. Greg H.
      August 26th, 2011 | 1:23 pm

Ken’s concerns are probably shared by a lot of fans. Except for the starting pitching, though, I don’t share them. I come out more on the lines of KPOcala. The team is solid, and not one that many pitchers, at least, are eager to face. Every team worries about how they’ll do in the playoffs. I agree that our starters have not matched up yet. But even the Phillies fans are worried that when they get to the playoffs their bats will quit and they’ll get beat like last year.

I read an interesting stat that 25 teams have won more than 100 games since 1986. Only 2 of those have won the World Series.