• So, What I Miss?

Posted by on August 27th, 2011 · Comments (17)

Just got back (late last night) from five fun filled days down in Disney with my family.

So, we had an earthquake? The Yankees fell out of first? Colon, Hughes and Burnett pitched like crap. (That’s going to be great if that happens in October, huh?) Three grand slams in one game? A-Rod had a Little Jack Horner moment? Jim Thome went home. Minka Kelly is out? Very sad news on Mike Flanagan. Posada to Swisher was the 4-3 moment of the season. And, here comes Irene. (I was soooo happy to beat her back up the coast.)

Seriously, for all those in the way of Irene, please be careful and accept my sincere best wishes for good fotrune during her pass through. I’m about 3.5 miles from the ocean (and about 2 miles from the Raritan Bay) and hoping that we don’t have to evacuate. I’m also surrounded by trees. So, I’m going to be sweating this one out. And, of course, there’s always the chance of a prolonged power loss. So, this may be it, from me, for a while.

Please take care during Irene. Be smart. Be careful. My fingers are crossed for you. And, I can’t wait until this over.

Comments on So, What I Miss?

1. redbug
      August 27th, 2011 | 8:25 am

It’s good to see you back, that you were on vacation, and that you were maybe fortunate enough to miss another Burnett fiasco.

The other thing you missed…Jeter is hitting .299. He’s looking great since he came back from the DL.

2. redbug
      August 27th, 2011 | 8:27 am

Meant to add…my best wishes to you Steve and all of us living in the storm track. Sounds like we’re in for a rough time. Be safe everyone.

August 27th, 2011 | 9:16 am

CC’s been pitching like crap too. Whatever little chance he had to win the Cy is gone now.

On a personal note, you missed my first week as a corporate stooge :D. I now work for Fiserv, out of Morris Plains. Hell of a commute, 5 trains and a bus for 3 hours either way. Needless to say, I will be moving to the other side of the river…

I think NJ has a state of emergency, will be interesting to see how things’ll go this weekend.

I’m in Port Chester, hard by the Byram River. Further out is the LI sound. I’ll probably get a lot of wind and rain here, but don’t anticipate too much damage given that LI will take most of the hit from Irene.

Everyone, stay safe and stay dry.

4. redbug
      August 27th, 2011 | 9:25 am

Raf, so glad to hear you’re back working, albeit so far from home. That area of NJ is nice. You’ll find a good place to relocate.

5. KPOcala
      August 27th, 2011 | 10:57 am

Steve,glad your back. As a 54 year Florida native, watch out for any trees w/ shallow roots. Fallen trees and power lines are the big killer from low intensity but large, wet, hurricanes. Good luck to all you guys up there. I’m sure that dealing with “snow-hurricanes” will make Irene seem like small potatoes ;)

6. Scout
      August 27th, 2011 | 11:24 am

@ Raf:

If you like red meat, Arthur’s steak house near the train station in Morris Plains is excellent. :-)

7. August 27th, 2011 | 12:06 pm

I just got back myself, good louck to you steve and all the board reglars.

August 27th, 2011 | 1:32 pm

@ redbug: Thanks!

Scout wrote:

@ Raf:

Yes, I’ve heard many good things about Arthurs (right across the street from the station), will celebrate there once I get my first paycheck. :D

Depending on the train, I may have to change @ Newark Broad St, which means I have a chance to catch a Bears game. Hopefully before they fold; every time I pass there, there’s like 10 people in the stands.

August 27th, 2011 | 1:36 pm

Steve, was this your first trip to Disney?

10. August 27th, 2011 | 2:35 pm

Thanks for the welcome backs everyone.

@ redbug:
      Agreed on Jeter. It’s been an amazing turnaround. I hope he hits .320 this year.

@ Raf:
      Congrats on the gig! That’s too far to commute. You have to move.
      This was my 3rd time to Disney. First time was in ’72 when I was young. We took the kids in 2009. So, this was our 2nd time there as a family.

@ KPOcala: We had a tree come down here in a storm in Jan. 2010. Came down right across the front of the house. Just missed our car. It was a mess. I sweat the trees ever since then – we’re surrounded by them.

@ Joseph Maloney: Welcome back. Good luck with the storm!

11. ken
      August 27th, 2011 | 3:08 pm

very interesting:

August 27th, 2011 | 4:50 pm

@ ken:
      Both players have no trade clauses
      Burnett has value (albeit limited, given his production) by eating innings. Or looking at it another way, pitchers are worth more than hitters.
      Bay is blocked in either OF corner, DH and @ 1b.
      Burnett isn’t blocking Betances, Banuelos or anyone.

13. redbug
      August 28th, 2011 | 10:50 am

I hope all in the storm track did OK. We had large trees come down on power lines and knock out service in my neighborhood. Fortunately, I still have power. It’s a good thing since my sump pump has been going non-stop.

14. KPOcala
      August 28th, 2011 | 1:01 pm

Hope all you guys up there are good. A word of advice. If your not very experienced with chainsaws and cutting up trees, don’t! You can easily get catapulted or brained by a tree snapping back. I kid you not! Another thing of course is downed power lines. After all the hurricanes that hit Florida, I’m still amazed at how many people get killed by them, usually because people will walk into puddles….Watch yourselves!

15. LMJ229
      August 28th, 2011 | 4:04 pm

Damn, we started the series against the A’s 1 game ahead of Boston just six days ago and now we are 2.5 games back. Losing 4 out of 5 to the A’s and O’s sucks! And you wouldn’t believe what my yard looks like right now! :(

16. August 29th, 2011 | 9:48 am

Update on me.

The storm in my area was bad. We lost power around midnight on Saturday and it’s yet to be restored. One cop told me that it could be another 4 or 5 days before we have power again. Everything is out for us – lights, phone, internet, TV, etc.

We had two large trees uproot and come down in the storm. They went my neighbors way and did not land on my property. (He’s up, 2-1 now, since, 18 months ago, one of his trees uprooted in a storm and came across the front of my house.)

We had three major chunks of other trees come down on my property. Luckily, they all landed on grass. But, I can’t move them yet since my saw is electric and we don’t have power.

I hope that you all got through the storm OK.

I’m at work today. (There’s power there!) I hope to have a new post up later today.

August 29th, 2011 | 12:17 pm

Metro North and NJT are out, so I’m working from home.

Heard part of 287 collapsed too…