• A.J. Being A.J.

Posted by on September 19th, 2011 · Comments (8)

Yo, Cash, lay off the objective pipe!

Comments on A.J. Being A.J.

1. September 19th, 2011 | 6:20 pm

The Yankees are paying 16 million a year for a mediocre 5th starter who can’t pitch relief. This now needs to be the recognized as fact. He finishes the season with the team and under no circumstances is he placed on the postseason roster.

2. JeremyM
      September 19th, 2011 | 6:36 pm

Burnett was just trying to ensure that Mo would get a save opportunity. What a guy!

Seriously though, I am so sick of his act. He couldn’t get through 5 innings up by 5 on a decimated Twins team? Pathetic. And it’s one thing to stink, but he has a problem taking ownership of his bad outings as well.

3. KPOcala
      September 19th, 2011 | 8:40 pm

Hmmm, who sucks the most, AJ, Carl Crawford, or John Lackey? It’s strange, because it “seems” that whenever Burnett starts the game with a bunch of K’s, he suddenly wilts. Stamina, age, or concentration? I really think that he should go to the bullpen and try and work his way up the bullpen ladder.

4. LMJ229
      September 19th, 2011 | 10:44 pm

If AJ is on the post-season roster both Giradi and Cashman should be simultaneously fired.

5. JeremyM
      September 20th, 2011 | 8:38 am

Here’s an AJ quote/gem from last night: “I didn’t get through the fifth because I wasn’t allowed to get through the fifth. So it wasn’t that I couldn’t get through the fifth.”

That said, I’d take him over Lackey- I think…..

6. KPOcala
      September 20th, 2011 | 11:07 am

@ JeremyM: He says the same sort of thing after every poor outing. He’ll become governor of Arkansas one day, after that…..

7. Scout
      September 20th, 2011 | 11:33 am

Girardi clearly no longer believes that Burnett can be trusted to get through a tight spot. A.J. has been yanked early, even when he has big leads.

The one compelling reason for taking A.J. over Lackey is that the former’s contract will be up one year sooner. Boston has to put up with Lackey for another three years.

September 20th, 2011 | 12:35 pm

Scout wrote:

Yeah, with a deep bullpen, he can do that. I think we’re going to see the return of Captain Hook in the postseason.