• Mo Is The King Of Saves

Posted by on September 19th, 2011 · Comments (9)

Nice!

Too bad there were probably less than 40,000 there to see it.

Comments on Mo Is The King Of Saves

September 19th, 2011 | 5:49 pm

Look forward to seeing the video replays on and off-line.

I was just talking about him Saturday. He’s come a long way from playing baseball with a milk carton glove, hasn’t he?

2. 77yankees
      September 19th, 2011 | 6:36 pm

I can proudly tell you I was there to witness it in person. And there were probably more like 30-35K there. easily the greatest moment I’ve witnessed at the Stadium.

3. JeremyM
      September 19th, 2011 | 6:50 pm

What a man. So proud and fortunate to be able to root for Mariano Rivera.

4. LMJ229
      September 19th, 2011 | 10:51 pm

It is really a privilege to watch Mo pitch. He is such a professional and truly a class act. I’m so happy for him. Now there is absolutely no denying that he is the best closer ever.

However, I was very disappointed that Girardi did not let Posada catch his record save. I mean, come on, Posada could have caught one measly inning for God’s sake. Girardi is an ass for denying Jorge that special moment.

5. Evan3457
      September 20th, 2011 | 2:22 am

LMJ229 wrote:

Disagree. The game is there to be won. Win it and drop both magic numbers. The wins are about to get much harder. If the Yanks hadn’t played so many close games recently requiring Mo to get so many saves, and they had already clinched the post-season, then, yeah, by all means, let Jorge catch it. But not Saturday; not today.

You want to let Jorge catch Mo’s save one last time after clinching? Fine by me. But let’s not blow a playoff spot out of sentimentality.

6. redbug
      September 20th, 2011 | 6:35 am

@ Evan3457:

I’m w/ LM, Jorge should’ve been behind the plate. He just caught a few innings recently, and despite the rust, did fine.

99% of the time, Mo throws to the glove. It’s not like when AJ’s throwing and the ball is all over the place.

Even if somehow Mo blew the save, it’s not like Martin’s been doing anything worse w/ the bat than Jorge.

the Yanks had a 2 run advantage. As is typical of MO, he got a 1, 2, 3 inning. It seemed petty of Girardi not to have Jorge in.

7. JeremyM
      September 20th, 2011 | 8:40 am

Would Mo have wanted that? He really didn’t want a big scene being made out of it and certainly wouldn’t want to show up the Twins. It would’ve been kind of cool, but I get why they didn’t do it.

8. LMJ229
      September 20th, 2011 | 5:07 pm

@ Evan3457:
      Do you really think that Jorge would have somehow blown the game for the Yanks? Seriously, what are the odds of that happening with a 2-run lead?

@ JeremyM:
      I had heard that Mariano would have preferred it but didn’t openly push for it. (I think someone posed the question and in typical Mariano style he said “that would be great”.)

9. LMJ229
      September 20th, 2011 | 5:13 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

But let’s not blow a playoff spot out of sentimentality.

Evan, you’ve been doing the math all along, defending the Yankees near-perfect chances of making the playoffs, so even if the Yankees somehow lost the game – because of Jorge – I think you’d agree that their chances of “blowing a playoff spot” would still be slim. Heck, Joe Girardi himself gambled with those chances when he sat Jeter, Granderson and Texiera in the same game. But he can’t catch Jorge for a half inning?