• Happy Berthday To All of Us

Posted by on September 21st, 2011 · Comments (6)

Personally, I would have liked to have seen the Yankees clinch against Boston, but this will definitely do.

The new magic number is now 3 (to clinch homefield in the ALCS).

The Yankees also extended their record streak to 19 consecutive years finishing at least 12 games over .500 (1993-2011).  The old record was 18, held by (who else?) the New York Yankees from 1926-1943.

And one wild thought:  What if the Wild Card is neither the Bosox or the Rays but the Angels?

Comments on Happy Berthday To All of Us

1. clintfsu813
      September 22nd, 2011 | 2:15 am

That would be Legen..wait for it…DARY!

2. Garcia
      September 22nd, 2011 | 2:24 am

Didn’t Steve’s predictions have the Yanks in 3rd place this year? Let’s not forget about the dog days of August because the Yanks would be mostly on the road. And then there’s Colon (ERA+ 116) and Garcia (ERA+ 117) in the rotation.

Anything can still happen in the playoffs, but ultimately the games still have to be played. And guess what the Yanks did this year, they showed up to play.

This team did a lot to make me proud, I enjoyed this season very much. Girardi and Cash get a lot of credit, especially Girardi. Cash is not that great, but he did a lot of things well this year. e.g the bench, assembling a pitching staff, no trades during the deadline, young players helping out.

It could have been worse, he could have signed Crawford. Feliciano was already a bad enough signing.

3. September 22nd, 2011 | 7:58 am

Garcia wrote:

I think it’s this sort of attitude that puts a target on the backs of Yankees fans…and makes them hated.

Based on the roster moves (and lack thereof) during this past off-season, I think most rational people expected the Red Sox to be a 100-win team, and, that the Yankees would have starting pitching concerns.

Obviously, what happened in reality was the opposite of that. But, to claim that you knew this was going to happen all along…well…anyone who did that was full of something…hope…maybe…or something else.

I just hope that anyone who is pounding their Yankees chests today doesn’t go hiding in the woods if the ALDS is like 2005, 2006 and 2007…which I suspect, sadly, that it will be…

4. Garcia
      September 22nd, 2011 | 9:58 am

@ Steve L.:
      I guessed you missed the most important part. I never predicted anything, you still have to play the games, and it wasn’t anywhere near as doom-and-gloom as you were “predicting”.

September 22nd, 2011 | 12:22 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Even if it is, it doesn’t take away what the Yanks did during the regular season.

6. Evan3457
      September 22nd, 2011 | 11:31 pm

I said the Yanks would win 91-3 games and win the Wild Card. They exceeded my expectations. I said the Rays would be a hitter or two short, and they are. I said they’d win about 85-88 games, and they might wind up a game or two better than that, and I said they’d finish 3rd, and they probably still will. I said I though the Sox would win 95+ and possibly 100+, and I’m wrong on that one. I never, ever thought they’d collapse so totally as they have.