• The Bartolo Bubble Has Burst

Posted by on September 23rd, 2011 · Comments (14)

Via Chad Jennings -

Bartolo Colon hasn’t won a game since the beginning of August. He has a 5.09 ERA with a .298 opponents batting average since the all-star break, and he’s lost his past four decisions.

The lightning might be out of the bottle.

“When we went into this year, we weren’t sure how many innings we could get out of him,” Joe Girardi said. “There is some concern there, so we’ll continue to evaluate as we move forward… It’s location, it’s movement and it’s some velocity, as well. That’s why there are concerns.”

Great. Colon is cooked. Sabathia cannot command his fastball. Hughes stinks and has a bad back. Burnett is Burnett. Garcia has been very hittable.

It’s Nova and a prayer in the ALDS for the Yankees. This thing could be a three and out job for New York.

Comments on The Bartolo Bubble Has Burst

1. clintfsu813
      September 23rd, 2011 | 11:54 am

Cant disagree with you here. Things do look bleak heading into the ALDS. As a proud Yankee fan, I’m choosing to simply be as optomistic as possible in our offense, strong bench, that CC & Nova pitch very well and then maybe we can slug it out for a few games.

2. September 23rd, 2011 | 11:56 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

That’s all any of us, can, and should do.

It’s baseball, anything can happen.

3. Evan3457
      September 23rd, 2011 | 12:09 pm

It’s possible, I guess. I don’t think so, but it’s possible.

4. G.I. Joey
      September 23rd, 2011 | 2:38 pm

DOOM & GLOOM

5. September 23rd, 2011 | 2:39 pm

G.I. Joey wrote:

DOOM & GLOOM

Numbers 34 and 40 in your scorecard…

6. #15
      September 23rd, 2011 | 2:45 pm

Joe is going to have to earn his pay mixing and matching out of the pen. Given the pitching limitations, Jorge might need to be dropped in favor of an extra arm. I count the following:

Outfield (4): Grandy, Gardy, Swish, Jones

Infield (6): Tex, Robbie, Jete, A-Rod, Chavey, Nunez

Catcher (2): Martin, Romine

Pitcher (10 or 11): CC, Nova, Barto, Freddie, AJ, Soriano, Robertson, Logan, Mo +1 or 2 Others.

That leaves 2 or 3 other spots… for some mix of Jorge, Jesus, Pena or a 5th outfielder option

I think if we are going to get deep into the playoffs we’ll have to get length from CC and Nova each time they take the bump. Two of the other three out of AJ, Barto, Freddie will start, the third becomes your long man-swing-man-emergency-man. Hughes, if he’s available, might be a two inning guy. If there is one thing I’d have done differently so far, it would have been getting Hughes a few outings from the pen to se if he can capture that short session mentality again.

7. bags
      September 23rd, 2011 | 2:47 pm

dude. we’re in the playoffs. again. probably with home field advantage. i think it is awesome.

who knows? we could win it all.

enjoy it a little, will ya? this is baseball, for crying out loud.

8. 77yankees
      September 23rd, 2011 | 3:10 pm

@ #15:

Cory Wade probably has one of the pen spots locked up too.

I don’t think you need to carry 12 pitchers in a five game series, but you never know with Girardi.

While the Yankees don’t PH much, they may need pinch runners in a key spot (remember Freddy Guzman in 2009?) Plus, you don’t want to leave yourself with a short handed bench if someone happened to get injured in the middle of a series like Tex did in the LCS last year.

9. Greg H.
      September 23rd, 2011 | 3:18 pm

I don’t think any of our prospective opponents is thinking, “hey it’s okay if we play the Yanks, CC can’t commend his fastball.” I think they’re thinking that the Yanks have and Ace and arguably the top rookie in the league, followed by two or three guys that will get the hook if things get slightly out of hand, and the best bullpen in the league. I’m not saying we’re custom built for playoff ball, but no one’s looking past the Yanks, an no other team is dissing our chances the way this post seems to do.

I guarantee opposing pitchers are thinking about this, though:
      Jeter, Granderson, Texiera, A-Rod, Cano, Swisher, Montero, Martin, Gardner.

10. #15
      September 23rd, 2011 | 5:57 pm

Looks like Joe is keeping the pedal to the floor. Just saw tonight’s line-up… Got our A-Team out their, at least to start the game. Good for us. 2 out of 3 this weekend would be so nice, from so many directions. Vitually locks in home field, changes how the Blosox view us and how we view them, kicks the Botox in the Boass and maybe out of the post season, allows us to rest some guys in Tampa next week, has us on the edge of a 100 win season… Yes, 2 out of 3, that’s the ticket.

September 23rd, 2011 | 6:47 pm

#15 wrote:

Will Jesus or Pena be an option? They weren’t on the 25 man roster at the end of Aug.

September 23rd, 2011 | 6:50 pm

I’d imagine the pitching staff would be
      CC, Nova, Colon, Freddie, AJ, Soriano, Robertson, Logan, Mo, Wade, Ayala

September 23rd, 2011 | 6:53 pm

Raf wrote:

I’d imagine the pitching staff would be
      CC, Nova, Colon, Freddie, AJ, Soriano, Robertson, Logan, Mo, Wade, Ayala

And that’s if Hughes’ back isn’t right. If it is, I’d imagine he’d take maybe Ayala’s place. I’m sure the odd guy out of the rotation would be the long man.

14. LMJ229
      September 23rd, 2011 | 9:25 pm

You know when I look back on this season I am still so amazed at where we are right now. I can’t help but feel that we’ve done it with mirrors all year. Hughes was a major disappointment. AJ pretty much sucked all year. Colon and Garcia have turned back into the pumpkins we thought they would be all along. Really, its amazing that this team is where it is.

The way I look at it, we have three things going for us: our offense, our bullpen and our defense. Unfortunately, our starting pitching is our weak spot right now. But if we could just get solid starts out of CC, Nova and TBD we will have a good chance to win.