• Still Playing? Doesn’t Matter. Dead Sox Walking

Posted by on September 25th, 2011 · Comments (17)

I was at this game tonight.  Had to leave after 9 innings – since my daughter has school tomorrow and I have a loooooong day planned at work.  We left the parking garage around 9:50 PM and got home in about 60 minutes.  That’s an all-time record.

Once home, I had some things to take care of…and it’s now 11:28 PM and they’re still playing.  Top fourteen and Scottie Proctor is in…

Doesn’t matter at this point.  Even if the Red Sox win, they had to empty their tank, and then some, to get it done.  They’ll be on fumes now.  The Yankees did their job with this series.  It’s perhaps the most proud that I’ve been of them all year.

Of course, it would be sweet if the Yankees win this one.  That would break Boston’s back, for sure.

I can give it a few more minutes.  But, 5:15 AM comes early.  So, I may have to read about this one in the morning.

Comments on Still Playing? Doesn’t Matter. Dead Sox Walking

1. September 25th, 2011 | 11:34 pm

Ellsbury. Crap. That was quick.

2. LMJ229
      September 25th, 2011 | 11:36 pm

Can someone please tell me why Scott Proctor is on this team?!

3. Jim TreshFan
      September 25th, 2011 | 11:38 pm

@ LMJ229:
      They needed a BP pitcher, I guess.

4. JeremyM
      September 25th, 2011 | 11:45 pm

I guess Girardi really wanted to punt that one. And what an awful “comeback” by Proctor. Not one of Cashman’s better moves, the guy was getting shelled in the NL.

September 26th, 2011 | 1:33 am

LMJ229 wrote:

Can someone please tell me why Scott Proctor is on this team?!

I’d like to know why Girardi keeps going to him.

From the sound on the radio, I knew it was hit hard, I was hoping it stayed in the park. I still think Girardi should’ve PH for Romine.

Rays are 1 out with 3 games to play. I still think they need to sweep the Yanks to make it.

6. #15
      September 26th, 2011 | 11:09 am

I was yelling at the TV, woke up my wife, to walk Ellsbury and pitch to Crawford. By what measure wouldn’t you make that calculation? Fear of putting another runner in scoring position? I’ll take the head to head match-up at the plate over the base runners situation.

In total, we really accomplished a lot this weekend. Home field, stretched the Botox to the breaking point, exhausted their pen, rested some of our guys, broke Boston’s sense that they owned us, created a sense for ourselves that we can and should beat them should it come together in the post season, AJ showed some signs of life, Freddie was good enough, no injuries, hammered Lester, irritated Lackey, Nova is being case hardened, the back end of our bull pen showed they are post season ready, and we nearly swept the Sox with something less that our best team on the field. A very, very good weekend that was almost a great weekend. Any current Yankee with more than 50 MLB games on their resume should have the day off today for the game in Tampa, except maybe get Hughes a couple of innings out of the pen today and ~ Wed. Go Baltimore. Man, a tie between Tampa and the Bloodsox would be great. Info I have is they would play in Tampa on Thursday.

7. Ryan81
      September 26th, 2011 | 1:01 pm

2011 Red Sox = 2004 Yankees

Preseason favorites to win the World Series

Gritty leader in the middle of the infield (Pedroia, who I hate that I respect him like Red Sox fans begrudgingly respect, and Jeter)

MVP candidate in the outfield (Ellsbury and Sheffield)

Potentially great starting rotation on paper yet incredibly underachieving (Beckett, Lester, Buchholz, Lackey, and Wakefield vs. Mussina, Brown, Vazquez, Lieber, and El Duque)

Headcase, big money acquisition whose not ready for the prime time (Crawford and A-Rod)

Core leader from glory days whose running on fumes (Varitek and Bernie)

Token a-hole pitcher who underachieves and then does something stupid in the middle of a pennant race (Lackey’s divorce and Brown’s boxing match)

Collapse against teams led by Johnny Damon

Anything else I’m forgetting?

8. redbug
      September 26th, 2011 | 2:52 pm

@ Ryan81:

I hadn’t heard Lackey is divorcing his wife. Very surprised since she’s battling breast cancer. What a bum.

September 26th, 2011 | 5:31 pm

Sox struggles aside, once they make the playoffs, anything can happen.

September 26th, 2011 | 6:18 pm

*if*

The Rays are mathematically alive, after all :D

11. 77yankees
      September 26th, 2011 | 9:59 pm

Raf wrote:

*if*
      The Rays are mathematically alive, after all

Looks like the Rays are going to be “very” mathematically alive after tonight.

12. redbug
      September 26th, 2011 | 10:35 pm

Very weird night – rooting for the Yanks to lose. Righted by rooting for the Red Sox to lose – and they do! Feeling like the good old days when the Red Sox broke their fans’ hearts.

13. 77yankees
      September 26th, 2011 | 10:39 pm

Just imagine what it will be like Wednesday if Tampa wins & Boston loses Tuesday night…….O…….M…….G. :-)

14. LMJ229
      September 26th, 2011 | 10:50 pm

I’m still disappointed that Girardi didn’t go for the juglar last night against Boston. It would really have been sweet to sweep them and put the last nail in their coffin. They were so cocky when they were beating up on us earlier in the season. It would have been sweet revenge to end it for them.

15. LMJ229
      September 26th, 2011 | 10:52 pm

Raf wrote:

I’d like to know why Girardi keeps going to him.

Me too
      Raf wrote:

I still think Girardi should’ve PH for Romine.

Me too

September 26th, 2011 | 11:20 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

Same here. It takes one game to start a winning streak.

17. Evan3457
      September 27th, 2011 | 1:08 am

Raf wrote:

LMJ229 wrote:
      Same here. It takes one game to start a winning streak.

Boston winning streak over. :d