• It’s Wild & Fit To Be Tied

Posted by on September 26th, 2011 · Comments (9)

Extra, extra, read all about it -

The Boston Red Sox are face-to-face with a destiny no one wants: the biggest September choke in baseball history.

The Sox were nine games ahead of the Tampa Bay Rays at the end of play on Sept. 3, a lead that seemed insurmountable.

No team has ever blown a nine-game that late to miss the postseason. But now that lead is gone.

The Sox lost 6-3 Monday night to the Orioles at Camden Yards. That defeat, paired with the Rays’ 5-2 win over the Yankees, leaves the clubs deadlocked at 89-71 with two games left in the regular season.

Boston has lost 17 of its last 22. It has pitched horribly, played unsound defense and Monday night looked like it even had the baseball Gods lining up against it.

And, more from Gordon Edes -

The Red Sox are now looking directly into the same abyss that previously consumed the ’51 Dodgers, ‘64 Phillies, ’69 Cubs, ’78 Red Sox and ’07 Mets, teams that took the Perp Walk of Shame after epic collapses.

Silent John W. Henry, who hasn’t been heard from at all during this hellacious month, is liking soccer more each day.

So, what would be better – seeing the Red Sox blow this over the next two games, or, seeing them fight to force a tie and then see them lose a one-game playoff on Thursday?

As much as I would love to hear laments over Reid “Bleeping” Brignac from Red Sox Nation, I’m thinking I want Boston to lose their next two games and choke on it. How about you?

Comments on It’s Wild & Fit To Be Tied

1. Garcia
      September 27th, 2011 | 12:05 am

I’d like for them to just lay down from here on out and lose the next two games by double digits. Go down by 10 by the 4th inning.

2. EHawk
      September 27th, 2011 | 12:28 am

Its an interesting scenario indeed. I mean who do the Rays pitch on Wed if they win Tues. and the Sox lose Tues? Do you throw Price Wed and then be forced to throw Davis or Niemann in a 1 game playoff if Price doesn’t win Wed and Sox do? Or do you take a chance with a Davis on Wed and hope for the best and if you lose and Sox win at least you have Price going in the 1 game playoff? Either way both teams rotations will be a little messed up for the 1st round especially if their is a 1 game playoff game…not sure What I would do but I think you go with Price on Wed and hope he can get the W. Now if both teams are tied going into the last game its a no brainer to throw Price.

I do think the Tigers and Rangers will be playing very hard for the chance to play either the Rays or Sox due to how much each team has had to go through the last couple weeks. I think its clear you’d rather face either of those 2 teams at home then the Yanks on the road!

3. Evan3457
      September 27th, 2011 | 1:07 am

I’m still rooting for a 3-way tie and 2-game playoff, forcing the ALDS to wait until Saturday. C’mon Angels! Get in there and make a real mess of it!!

I’m for maximum strife, chaos and confusion in the enemy camps.

4. BOHAN
      September 27th, 2011 | 3:51 am

@ Evan3457:
      Angels are eliminated.

I think id like to see a playoff but then that does give the Red Sox to kind of redeem themselves. So i think id just rather see a complete collapse. But whats the chances of the Rays sweeping the Yanks or the O’s sweeping the Sox? S figure the Sox or Yanks have to atleast “accidentally” win atleast 1 game in these series. Right?

5. Evan3457
      September 27th, 2011 | 6:42 am

BOHAN wrote:

@ Evan3457:
      Angels are eliminated.

I know, but they hadn’t quite been eliminated when I posted that.

If the Yanks and Sox both win one game from here, the Sox and Rays wind up tied, forcing a 1 game playoff.

September 27th, 2011 | 6:48 am

@ EHawk:
      I imagine the Rays would stay with their rotation. If that means Price goes on Wed, then so be it. No sense saving your bullets for a game that may or may not come.

Either way the next two games will be a lot of fun to watch.

September 27th, 2011 | 7:24 am

Hellickson tonight, Davis tomorrow, I guess.

September 27th, 2011 | 7:25 am

Price, I meant

9. JeremyM
      September 27th, 2011 | 7:52 am

Girardi has all but conceded the game on Wednesday, saying he will use only non-playoff bullpen pitchers to piece through the game. He came out whining about the playoff schedule (only one day off before the playoffs start) to provide some cover against any criticism for his move.

Personally, I hope the Sox just lose their last two games and the Yanks win their last two, and we get a one-game playoff :)