• It’s Cashman’s Call To Stay Or Go

Posted by on September 27th, 2011 · Comments (10)

Via Andrew Marchand -

After a successful regular season, the New York Yankees would like Brian Cashman to remain as the team’s general manager beyond this year.

“Clearly, we want him back,” Yankees president Randy Levine told ESPNNewYork.com.

Cashman is in the final year of a three-year contract, with a reported total value of around $6 million. As per team policy the two sides are waiting until the offseason before talking about a new agreement. However, both sides have now said they want to continue the relationship.

“We have a great relationship,” Cashman told ESPNNewYork.com on Monday. “I work for a great owner, but we really haven’t talked about the future. Now is not the time to talk about that, to be quite honest. That’s all for another day. They know that I would like to come back and we have a good working relationship, but we’ll deal with that stuff on another day.”

Last week, in an interview with ESPNNewYork.com’s Ian O’Connor, Cashman outlined the plusses and minuses of his job.

“I like what I do, and you couldn’t find a better place to do it, with the best fan base, tremendous facilities and an ownership with a full commitment,” he said.

“But at the same time, it comes at a price of time, effort, expectations, pressure, stress levels, all that different stuff. Like everything else, there are positives and negatives. There’s stuff in this job that can bury you if you let it.”

With possible interest from the Chicago Cubs, Baltimore Orioles or other clubs that might have openings, Cashman could have options. In the past he has often been rumored to be sought after by other clubs, but has never left.

Sounds like the ball is in Cash’s court, no?

Comments on It’s Cashman’s Call To Stay Or Go

1. lardin
      September 27th, 2011 | 2:53 pm

If we wants to continue to be an MLB GM, why would he leave? There is no other GM job in baseball that is equal to the job in the Bronx. He has a great farm system. He has a huge payroll. He has an owner who wants nothing more than to win every year and gives the resources to make that happen. I cant see Cashman leaving for another GM job. If he leaves, its because he wants to take his life in a different direction, not remain parallel..

2. Evan3457
      September 27th, 2011 | 5:00 pm

Seems that way to me too, Steve. Of course, we may not both be hoping for the same result. :)

3. redbug
      September 27th, 2011 | 6:09 pm

It does seem he’ll be back. They’ve both indicated they want him to stay on. Might as well negotiate the deal, if they haven’t already. It still ticks me off that this exception has been made. The owners have never made it clear to a valued player that they want him back.

4. LMJ229
      September 27th, 2011 | 9:40 pm

@ lardin:
      Agreed. Why would one leave the premier job in the sport? If he goes, so be it, the Yankees will do just fine without him.

September 27th, 2011 | 10:02 pm

redbug wrote:

The owners have never made it clear to a valued player that they want him back.

Same goes for players who want to test the market. Fact is if they really wanted to come back, if they made it clear, they’d never hit free agency.

6. September 27th, 2011 | 11:15 pm

Cashman has a rep at this point and he may want to cash in on it, if someone wants to make him an offer he can’t refuse, he won’t refuse it. That said, I think this club will not do well in the postseason. I blame him for the wrong way starting rotation that I fear will doom the Yanks once September becomes October.

7. Evan3457
      September 28th, 2011 | 2:18 am

Joseph Maloney wrote:

Once Lee decided he want back into Philadelphia, there was nothing more Cashman could’ve done.

8. LMJ229
      September 28th, 2011 | 10:56 pm

Joseph Maloney wrote:

Agreed. Cashman admitted that he failed in his bid to strengthen the rotation this past winter. He preached patience, alluding to the fact that he would address the problem before the trade deadline. He didn’t. Now, our biggest weakness remains the starting rotation.

9. September 28th, 2011 | 11:26 pm

@ LMJ229:
      Well said.

September 29th, 2011 | 12:43 am

LMJ229 wrote:

Joseph Maloney wrote:

And yet, here we are, with the Yanks having the best record in the AL. Anyone care to run the numbers to show how well or poorly the starting pitching did relative to the league?