• Yankees 2011 ALDS Roster

Posted by on September 28th, 2011 · Comments (10)

David Waldstein has a great post on this matter.  If it were up to me, I would go with:

CC Sabathia

Alex Rodriguez
    Mark Teixeira

Brett Gardner
    Curtis Granderson
    Andruw Jones
    Nick Swisher

Yup, no Bartolo Colon. And, I think Girardi will also leave him off. Maybe that’s too many RP? I would have no issue if one of them was left off and Romine was added to the roster.

Comments on Yankees 2011 ALDS Roster

1. Ryan81
      September 28th, 2011 | 12:53 pm

No way. Colon has looked awfully shakey in the past couple of weeks, but not shakey enough to lose his spot to Laffey.

2. September 28th, 2011 | 1:08 pm

I’m thinking Joe wants two lefties out of the pen.

3. 77yankees
      September 28th, 2011 | 2:15 pm

According to what I read this morning, Girardi was thinking of going with 11 pitchers, in which case I’d forego Laffey for either Dickerson or Romine.

4. redbug
      September 28th, 2011 | 5:55 pm

Who knows? I read he was going w/ 10 pitchers.

September 28th, 2011 | 6:46 pm

Steve L. wrote:

I’m thinking Joe wants two lefties out of the pen.

Not so sure about the why. The Rangers (Hamilton) and Tigers (Aviles) don’t have much in the way of LHB. I think they’d be fine with Logan as a LOOGY (despite his reverse platoon splits)

6. JeremyM
      September 28th, 2011 | 6:58 pm

No to Laffey. One thing you can’t do with managers is give them a “don’t use unless there is an emergency” player. Girardi would use him at some point, and he’s no good. The last thing we need him to do is mix-and-match with bad relievers.

September 28th, 2011 | 7:01 pm

They have their starters, and a long man (Hughes) in case someone gets shelled. 7-8-9 is covered with Soriano, Robertson & Mo. Mo will also go longer than an inning if needed for a 1+ inning save. I would have Colon on the staff as a hedge against 2 starters going down. Also, with Hughes back issue, you never know how he may be impacted.

8. butchie22
      September 28th, 2011 | 7:30 pm

Sl, your assessment looks about right. As much as I loathe AJ Burnout the Yanks have no choice but to use them in the playoffs.

9. butchie22
      September 28th, 2011 | 7:31 pm

I meant use him in the playoffs. I’m not in love with Garcia as a potential four BUT what is the alternative…Bruce Chen?!;)

10. LMJ229
      September 28th, 2011 | 10:46 pm

Romine has to be on the roster as the back-up catcher. Girardi is loathe to catch Montero and Posada should something happen to Martin. Also, I’d go with a speed guy like Dickerson to pinch run. That brings us to 10 pitchers.