• Game 3 = MUST WIN For Yankees

Posted by on October 2nd, 2011 · Comments (11)

Well, that was somewhat exciting at the end, wasn’t it?  But, no cigar.

I’m surprised that Leyland didn’t walk Cano in the 9th with the open base and elect to face A-Rod.  Wouldn’t that have been interesting?

In any event, the Tigers got the out and ended the game.

Yankees, and Sabathia, have to win Game 3 now.  You don’t want to be down, 1-2, in a five game series with A.J. Burnett, on the road, starting the game in a can’t lose situation.

Comments on Game 3 = MUST WIN For Yankees

1. LMJ229
      October 2nd, 2011 | 6:59 pm

Load the bases AND put the winning run on to pitch to A-Rod? No way.

This game was very disappointing, going into it I really liked our chances. I can’t believe we got no-hit for 5 innings by Scherzer. The ump helped him alot IMO. That really sucked.

Also, I would not have let Garcia pitch to Cabrera in the sixth inning, I would have gone to the pen there.

2. LMJ229
      October 2nd, 2011 | 7:04 pm

SteveL wrote:

Yankees, and Sabathia, have to win Game 3 now. You don’t want to be down, 1-2, in a five game series with A.J. Burnett, on the road, starting the game in a can’t lose situation.

Agreed.

3. LMJ229
      October 2nd, 2011 | 7:08 pm

JeremyM wrote:

Not sure if it would’ve changed the outcome, but that was sure some awful managing by Girardi. Pinch-hitting Chavez for Gardner? Using Ayala with the game close? Yikes.

Yeah, both moves there were highly questionable. Not a good game for Girardi in my opinion. He should have went to his heavies out of the pen as soon as Garcia got into trouble. After all, if CC is CC tomorrow he might not need to use them.

4. JeremyM
      October 2nd, 2011 | 7:13 pm

The Chavez one was made because he wanted him to “pop one” apparently. Gardner has more homers than Chavez, as does Jones and Montero. And Benoit is tougher on left-handers than right-handers, so Montero or Jones would’ve made sense if you don’t want Gardner to hit there. Very odd move. The binder must have had some pages replaced by an underhanded party…..

October 2nd, 2011 | 7:18 pm

Tough game for Jeter.

Not a bad start for Garcia.

With Soriano, Robertson, Hughes and Colon, why Ayala who pitched yesterday?

October 2nd, 2011 | 7:20 pm

I would’ve rather seen Gardner than Chavez in that at bat. For a minute I got worried, I thought that Gardner was hurt.

7. LMJ229
      October 2nd, 2011 | 7:24 pm

Raf wrote:

Agreed. Gardner is a pesky at-bat. Plus I hate to lose his defense and speed at that point in the game. Chavez came in cold and he sure looked it.

8. JeremyM
      October 2nd, 2011 | 7:25 pm

Agreed Raf. Chavez is a good player to have around to spell guys during the long regular season, but he’s a long way from being the first pinch-hitting option for a playoff team. Dumb move, I would’ve left Gardner but if you had pinch-hit, Jones or Montero are your guys. And if you’re not going to use Montero because he’s a backup catcher, then you should’ve brought Romine after all.

9. LMJ229
      October 2nd, 2011 | 7:36 pm

@ JeremyM:
      Agreed. With the way this roster is construed, Girardi will never pinch hit for Russel Martin, no matter how deserving it might be.

10. G.I. Joey
      October 2nd, 2011 | 9:16 pm

I was at the game today and was really hoping they would pull a win out on my birthday. Unfortunately not every birthday wish comes true. I thought Freddy did a decent job and a few people around me at the game, including myself were puzzled by the decision to let Feddy face Cabrera in the 6th as well as the Chavez PH. I was incredibly frustrated by the Yanks lack of fire power. I don’t know if Scherzer was getting a generous zone, but it looked like I was watching another showing of The Dead Bats Society.

11. JeremyM
      October 3rd, 2011 | 10:22 am

I completely agree that game 3 is a must win. With Burnett starting game 4, I get bad flashbacks to Jaret Wright doing the same in 2006 and Burnett in game 4 last season.

Girardi has really got to learn that these games are do or die, and if you’ve got a chance, do all you can to win the game in front of you. This article actually sums up his stupidity yesterday pretty well: http://tinyurl.com/3rfpbac