• Cashman: I Believe Yanks Will Win The Next Two Games

Posted by on October 4th, 2011 · Comments (9)

Via Joel Sherman -

Brian Cashman insisted it was “not a guarantee,” yet the Yankees general manager repeated several times this morning that “I expect to win the next two games” and advance to the ALCS.

The Yankees face elimination Tuesday night with Detroit leading this best-of-five Division Series two-games-to-one. But, of all things, the loss that put the Yankees on the brink actually has Cashman encouraged about the abilities and mental makeup of his squad.

“(Justin) Verlander had Nolan Ryan stuff and we figured out a way to score four runs and be in that game,” Cashman told The Post by phone. “This team is tough. Verlander was amazing last night and what we did against him was amazing, too. I know we lost, but I think we have a mentally tough team. I know it is not a good spot to be down two-to-one, but this team is tougher than people think. I believe in our guys. It is not a good spot, but I believe we will win the next two games.”

Verlander, after the first inning of Game 3, locked in with all four of his pitches, particularly bedeviling the Yankees with a fastball in the 96-101 mph range and with a curveball that was buckling knees one hitter after another. Yet Brett Gardner’s two-run double in the seventh tied the score before Rafael Soriano served up a game-deciding homer to Delmon Young in the bottom of the inning in what became a 5-4 Detroit triumph.

“It was spectacular what we did against Verlander,” Cashman said. “It is an indicator that we are not going away. That we are going to be tough to put down – and I don’t expect us to be put down.”

However, to survive, the Yankees have to first win in Detroit on Tuesday night with A.J. Burnett simply to get back to The Bronx for a decisive game Thursday.

“It’s A.J. and everybody else,” Cashman said, speaking of the bullpen being on instant alert for Game 4. “If everything is working for him, (Burnett) will be tough on the Tigers. If not, I will expect Phil Hughes (to relieve) and be on. Or the next guy.”

I sincerely believe, if the Yankees can get to Game 5, they have a decent shot at reaching the ALCS. But, I don’t share Cashman’s “can do” attitude about Game 4. Not with Burnett starting, and Hughes next in line, and with A-Rod, Teixeira and Swisher not hitting. I can see this one snowballing quickly and the Yankees finding themselves in a hole that the hitters cannot escape from…like Game 7 of the 2004 ALCS…or Game 4 of the 2006 ALDS…or Game 6 of the 2010 ALCS…or Game 4 of the 2002 ALDS. (Which, by the way, all happened on Cashman’s watch.)

Comments on Cashman: I Believe Yanks Will Win The Next Two Games

1. clintfsu813
      October 4th, 2011 | 1:39 pm

If Torre can call it ’96…

2. nwyank
      October 4th, 2011 | 4:07 pm

It feels like 2006: Yanks flex muscles in game 1, only to lose the next 3 while going cold offensively. Last time it was Rodgers/Bonderman, this time Verlander/Scherzer.
      I keep the faith, and hope they mount a comeback. But after so many playoff losses in the 2000′s I’ve become somewhat conditioned to seeing the Yanks beaten by inferior teams.
      Still, they are better than they’ve shown and great things may happen.

3. 77yankees
      October 4th, 2011 | 4:09 pm

Or…….tonight could end up being one of those 10-9 games.

4. October 4th, 2011 | 4:35 pm

nwyank wrote:

I don’t see that at all – best team always wins. And, if the Tigers win the ALDS, it’s because their starting pitching was deeper, their ace was better than our ace, and their meat of the order didn’t have their balls crawl up into their asshole like our meat of the order.

5. October 4th, 2011 | 4:36 pm

77yankees wrote:

Or…….tonight could end up being one of those 10-9 games.One thing I think you can count on is if the Yanks have a lead going into the 7th we’ll see Robertson and Mo to get the last nine outs. Robertson has one inning and Mo has thrown three pitches in this series, so with a day off tomorrow before a possible game 5, that scenario would be a no brainer to go all in.

I sincerely would not be shocked to see Robertson pitch the 6th and 7th tonight – followed by Mo in the 8th and 9th. Really. And, if the game is close after 5, I think Girardi has to consider this – with the off-day on Wednesday.

6. redbug
      October 4th, 2011 | 5:41 pm

@ Steve L.:

I don’t think the best team always wins. It’s only a 5 game series. One team may be hot, the not.

But, given that swisher and Tex haven’t contributed much to any PS, and Arod has contributed to only one, in their tenure as Yankees it’s not hard to see why the Yankees have such a hard team winning.

October 4th, 2011 | 6:51 pm

Meanwhile, the Rays, who led the AL in pitching, got bounced today by the Rangers.

Funny how the game works ;)

8. Evan3457
      October 4th, 2011 | 7:14 pm

Steve L. wrote:

nwyank wrote:
      I don’t see that at all – best team always wins.

Not true. The Pirates were not the better team in 1960. The Mets were not the better team in 1969. The Giants were not the best team last year.

They’re all champions. But short series don’t determine the best team, or the Baltimore Orioles are the real champions of the American League right now, having, in the last few weeks of the regular season, taken 2 of 3 from the Rays, 5 of 7 from the Red Sox, 2 of 3 from the Tigers, 2 of 3 from the Angels, and 2 of 4 from the Yankees.

9. LMJ229
      October 4th, 2011 | 9:47 pm

redbug wrote:

Amen redbug! I’ve been saying exactly that for 2 days now and getting some backlash for it but you put it best.