• Yes, There Will Be A Game Five!

Posted by on October 4th, 2011 · Comments (19)

Amazing, huh?  I like the Yankees chances in that one. Nova on full rest.  Back in the Bronx.  Tigers have to be thinking  “We really didn’t want to come back here.”

Comments on Yes, There Will Be A Game Five!

1. Evan3457
      October 4th, 2011 | 11:50 pm

Odds swing back to Yanks, slightly.

Only thing worries me is that Tigers never saw Nova before, and they’re getting their 2nd look at him in 5 days.

October 4th, 2011 | 11:50 pm

Nova on full rest, CC on short rest, Mo with too much rest, Soriano & Robertson will be available as well.

3. Evan3457
      October 4th, 2011 | 11:51 pm

Raf wrote:

Joe will try to keep CC out of it if at all possible, to start game 1 of ALCS.

4. October 4th, 2011 | 11:55 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

Fair point.

5. JeremyM
      October 4th, 2011 | 11:56 pm

That went from unbelievably tense to a laugher. Let’s hope they can run off another one. Loved seeing A-Rod’s swing looking better. That catch by Granderson was incredible. Well, both of them for different reasons, but the second one was insane. The first one, I had to have a shot of adrenaline to my heart….

6. JeremyM
      October 4th, 2011 | 11:59 pm

I could see this going like game 5 in the 2000 ALDS. Hopefully we have a Mike Stanton available to lock it down….

7. October 4th, 2011 | 11:59 pm

First Grandy catch saved Burnett. If he doesn’t catch up with that, A.J. may be out of the game in the 1st inning.

8. JeremyM
      October 5th, 2011 | 12:03 am

The good news is Nova wasn’t particularly sharp in game “1″ and can throw better. I hope he does!

October 5th, 2011 | 12:15 am

Evan3457 wrote:

Raf wrote:

Joe will try to keep CC out of it if at all possible, to start game 1 of ALCS.

Yeah, but it’s an elimination game; all hands on deck.

10. October 5th, 2011 | 12:16 am

Evan3457 wrote:

Odds swing back to Yanks, slightly.

That IS true. However, the Yankees are also getting their second look at Fister in 5 days as well.

11. LMJ229
      October 5th, 2011 | 12:27 am

A couple of observations from tonight’s game:
      Nice to see A-Rod finally have some good ABs.
      Soriano and Hughes looked good, Logan looked even better.
      Glad we got Montero’s feet wet.
      AJ came up big, who woulda thunk it?
      Leyland is a class act.
      The stadium and crowd makes it advantage Yankees.

12. Scout
      October 5th, 2011 | 5:01 am

I, for one, never doubted AJ for a moment.
      And, if you believe that, I would like to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge.

13. JeremyM
      October 5th, 2011 | 7:48 am

@ Scout:
      How much?

14. Garcia
      October 5th, 2011 | 7:58 am

I never doubted AJ, not exactly because of his “awesome” pitching stats, but because he was our only choice.

So Steve, is he still “our” AJ Burnett?

15. redbug
      October 5th, 2011 | 8:13 am

I think we simply got lucky w/ AJ. Whole different game if Grandy doesn’t catch that ball. And, as luck would have it, AJ was good from then on. He could’ve just as easily stunk up the joint. We live another day.

I’m just glad they didn’t fold after winning the 1st game.

btw…notice Jorge is having a great series? batting .400, 1.2 OPS

16. Garcia
      October 5th, 2011 | 8:31 am

@ redbug:
      Luck is the residue of design.

17. October 5th, 2011 | 9:21 am

Scout wrote:

I, for one, never doubted AJ for a moment.
      And, if you believe that, I would like to sell you the Brooklyn Bridge.

LOL

redbug wrote:

Agreed, 100%. Give Girardi and Larry R credit for milking A.J. thru the 5.3 IP. Also, the two plays by Granderson, the AT’EM liner to Jeter, the DP after the leadoff batter reached, A-Rod’s picks, Jeter ranging to his left (!), there were a lot of balls that usually go through – and, if they did, it’s the same old “our” AJ. (Garcia, last one is for you.)
      Garcia wrote:

So Steve, is he still “our” AJ Burnett?

18. Garcia
      October 5th, 2011 | 9:27 am

Steve L. wrote:

and, if they did, it’s the same old “our” AJ.

Haha, right. Now he is “our” AJ and “your” AJ. Nothing left now but to look forward to game 167.

19. nwyank
      October 5th, 2011 | 4:02 pm

No homers in Detroit. That means we’ll hit a few in game 5. I hope.