• 15 Hours After Game 5 Of The 2011 ALDS

Posted by on October 7th, 2011 · Comments (14)

Maybe I’m really tired, or looking forward to the weekend starting – and the plans I have for the next few days; but, I’m starting to feel less “stung” by the Yankee loss last night – and beginning to put the whole thing in the rear-view mirror and closing the book on the 2011 season.  How about you?

Comments on 15 Hours After Game 5 Of The 2011 ALDS

1. G.I. Joey
      October 7th, 2011 | 3:34 pm

I needed to vent this morning and now that I got that out of the way I’m beginning to come out of the funk.

2. #15
      October 7th, 2011 | 3:51 pm

Nope. The funk is fully intact and will only get reinforced as the playoffs continue. Watching baseball after the Yankees are out of it is always an awkward thing for me. I don’t think Detroit is a better team than we are, and only Philly really presented issues if we had advanced. I thought we’d need a break or two to beat them, but that we could out hit them and had a better pen. Last night’s performance made me question that evaluation re: the hitting part.

The only tonics will be when pitchers and catchers show up, when we sign the right parts over the winter to make us a better team next year, and the first practice of my men’s hardball league.

I’ll probably pull for the Rangers from this point, with only little passion.

3. cr1
      October 7th, 2011 | 4:05 pm

I am not as depressed as I have been other years when the Yankees have exited the PS at this point, maybe because along with the disappointments of this season there have also been pleasant surprises along the way. Sure, Rodriguez has given reason for me to think his body is giving out, but Jeter seemed done early and then came back to have a pretty repressentative season. Sure, we failed to lure Lee or Pettite into the rotation, but Colon and Garcia turned into legit pitchers after being picked up off the junkpile. Yeah, Hughes made everybody who ever sold him as some kind of savior look silly, but Nova showed us we can still develop amazing young pitchers, and DRob fully earned his ‘Houdini’ nickname. Swish and Tex can’t seem to hit, but Montero sure can. There’s good stuff to remember and to build on for next season.

I score a season from A (winning the WS) down to F (not making it into the PS at all) with all the other steps in between graded accordingly, so according to me this one earned a D, with maybe a plus after it to indicate good potential for improvement. In other words, just passing.

4. redbug
      October 7th, 2011 | 5:49 pm

2011 isn’t in the rear mirror for me because we’re going to be stuck w/ Arod and Tex for too many yrs to come.

5. nwyank
      October 7th, 2011 | 6:03 pm

Still very mad about this series. Didn’t know we had outscored Detroit 28-17. Same old story: blowout wins and close losses.
      Watched the game in a Seattle alehouse. The place errupted when ARod struck out (they still hate the guy). I walked out, fuming, amid a chorus of cheers.

6. 77yankees
      October 7th, 2011 | 7:05 pm

It usually hurts for a day or two and then it’s history.

Been a Yankee fan for 35 years and 28 of them have ended without championships (Well, 27, since 1994 will forever be in limbo).

In the grand scheme, Yankee fans should feel thankful, as opposed to if you were a fan of the ________.

7. Evan3457
      October 7th, 2011 | 8:45 pm

nwyank wrote:

Actually, NOT the same old story. In ALDS losses past, they got outhit and outscored: 31-25 by the Angels in 2002, 25-20 by the Angels in 2005, 22-14 by the Tigers in 2006, and 24-16 by the Indians in 2007. In all four of those series, the Yanks were outpitched and outhit to one degree or another. Not so this one.

8. LMJ229
      October 7th, 2011 | 10:50 pm

I’m sure it will take me the weekend to fully get over it and “decompress” so to speak. My secretary is a Detroit fan so I will probably root for them now plus that city could use a real pick-me-up. But I will root for the Phillies in the WS (if they get there!) since my husband is a Phillies fan. If the Phillies lose tonight I will be even more disgusted because they are the team that I feared the most.

For me, there is always a kind of “withdrawal period”. After watching baseball every day for 6 months straight and having it end so abruptly is tough.

Then I will move on to worrying about the “Hot Stove” topics!

9. Jim TreshFan
      October 8th, 2011 | 12:39 am

Well, after watching the Phillies roll over and play dead in front of their home crowd I guess last night wasn’t so bad. Ryan Howard, meet Alex Rodriguez!

10. LMJ229
      October 8th, 2011 | 11:57 am

Jim TreshFan wrote:

Ryan Howard, meet Alex Rodriguez!

LOL! My husband is a Phillies fan and he said the exact same thing!

11. G.I. Joey
      October 8th, 2011 | 12:32 pm

I’m rooting Brew Pack all the way. No way in hell would I root for Detroit or Texas, two teams that were responsible for knocking out the Yanks the past two years.

October 8th, 2011 | 2:31 pm

G.I. Joey wrote:

Plushdamentals!

13. G.I. Joey
      October 8th, 2011 | 9:10 pm

Raf wrote:

G.I. Joey wrote:
      Plushdamentals!

Ahhhh gotta go! Ahhhh gotta go!

14. nwyank
      October 10th, 2011 | 11:02 am

True enough. I was thinking more about the Yankee offense in general. They bludgeon opponents, at times, but have a hard time scoring 1 run when needed. The 2011 team was horrible in extra innings.