• Big Papi Threatens To Join Yankees

Posted by on October 13th, 2011 · Comments (13)

Via Pete Abe -

David Ortiz is threatening to go play for the Yankees.

“That’s something I gotta think about. I’ve been here on the Red Sox a long time, and I’ve seen how everything goes down between these two ballclubs,” he said in an interview with ESPN’s Colleen Dominguez. “It’s great from what I hear. It’s a good situation to be involved in. Who doesn’t want to be involved in a great situation where everything goes the right way?”

Ortiz hit .309 with a .953 OPS this season. He had 29 home runs and 96 RBIs. But would the Yankees actually want him? Ortiz turns 36 next month and has played a total of 12 games in the field the last three seasons.

Jorge Posada, a pending free agent who is likely to retire, was the primary DH for the Yankees this season. But in 37-year-old Derek Jeter and 36-year-old Alex Rodriguez, the Yankees have two players who could see increasing time as the DH.

Jeter was the DH 10 times this season, the most in his career. Rodriguez also was the DH 10 times. Mark Teixeira, who will be 32 in April, was the DH nine times.

In addition, the Yankees have young slugger Jesus Montero, a defensively challenged catcher whose primary contribution could be as the DH next season.

As for the Red Sox, Ortiz said was “too much drama.”

“I have been thinking about a lot of things. I don’t know if I want to be part of this drama for next year,” he said.

Someone should tell him that the Yankees already have a #34 with a bad contract…

Comments on Big Papi Threatens To Join Yankees

1. MJ Recanati
      October 13th, 2011 | 9:45 am

He’s a whiny, self-centered douche that I despise…but he’s a lefty bat with the type of swing and power perfectly built for Yankee Stadium.

On a two year deal, I’d take him.

2. 77yankees
      October 13th, 2011 | 11:07 am

There’s an open spot for him……….

If he wanted to replace Gene Monahan, that is.

3. October 13th, 2011 | 11:10 am

A-Rod likey rub down from Big Papi!

4. 77yankees
      October 13th, 2011 | 11:24 am

Steve L. wrote:

A-Rod likey rub down from Big Papi!

Ewwwwwwwwwww!!!

5. JeremyM
      October 13th, 2011 | 12:23 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      It’d be fun to stick it to Boston, but I’d hate to see Montero as strictly a platoon player at this point.

6. MJ Recanati
      October 13th, 2011 | 12:28 pm

JeremyM wrote:

Frankly, we’d be doing Boston a favor. It’ll be a very tough choice for them on whether or not to bring him back (and at what salary/for how long) so signing him would open the door for them to get creative with Prince Fielder…

Having said that, I’d sign Ortiz on a short (one or two year) deal and deal with Montero splitting time at C/DH.

October 13th, 2011 | 12:30 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

On a two year deal, I’d take him.

Yep.

8. Mr. Sparkle
      October 13th, 2011 | 2:27 pm

Just what the Yankees need. Over-the-hill, slow and strictly DH. If they’re in the market for a lefty, power hitting, slow, strictly DH-type, then avoid the over-the-hill aspect and go for the younger option with Prince Fielder.

9. MJ Recanati
      October 13th, 2011 | 2:42 pm

Mr. Sparkle wrote:

The difference in money and years between Fielder and Ortiz would make Fielder an unattractive option relative to Ortiz.

You could conceivably get Ortiz for 2Y/$24M. Fielder can command a Ryan Howard type contract (5Y/$125M). Seems like an easy choice to me if those are the two choices.

10. redbug
      October 13th, 2011 | 6:08 pm

$12 million is a lot of money for a guy who would likely be a bench player.

October 13th, 2011 | 7:32 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Mr. Sparkle wrote:

To add, I doubt Fielder’s interested in DH’ing.

And at that kind of $$, I’d rather make a push for Pujols.

12. MJ Recanati
      October 14th, 2011 | 11:02 am

Raf wrote:

And at that kind of $$, I’d rather make a push for Pujols.

Pujols probably isn’t interested in DH’ing either.

October 14th, 2011 | 5:36 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      Of course. Just sayin that if you’re going to lay out that kind of cash, may as well go all in and shoot for Pujols.