• Bosox Owner: I Didn’t Want Crawford

Posted by on October 14th, 2011 · Comments (6)

Via Alex Speier -

Red Sox principal owner John Henry, in an appearance on CBS Radio, said that the signing of outfielder Carl Crawford to a seven-year, $142 million contract was a decision driven purely by baseball rather than concern about declining TV ratings. Indeed, Henry suggested that the Sox were convinced that the drop in NESN ratings was the result of changes to the people meter that measures TV audiences. That being the case, Henry said that the decision to sign Crawford was driven by a desire to improve the competitiveness of his team.

Indeed, Henry made clear that he opposed the signing, but that he deferred to the desire of baseball operations to add a player who could impact the team’s on-field competitiveness.

“[Crawford was] definitely a baseball signing. In fact, anyone involved in the process, anyone in upper management with the Red Sox will tell you that I personally opposed that,” said Henry. “We had plenty of left-handed hitting. I don’t have to go into why. I’ll just tell you that at the time I opposed the deal, but I don’t meddle to the point of making decisions for our baseball team. … It wasn’t a PR move. Neither was the [Adrian] Gonzalez signing.”

…I don’t have to go into why. I’ll just tell you that at the time I opposed the deal, but I don’t meddle to the point of making decisions for our baseball team…

Maybe Crawford was “too street” for ol’ John Henry? And, yes, I’m kidding.

Comments on Bosox Owner: I Didn’t Want Crawford

1. #15
      October 14th, 2011 | 5:59 pm

This is like watching a great horror movie where the bad guys eat each other….. and then start gnawing on their own legs.

There ought to be a few books on this whole fiasco.

Searching for the right title…

Kentucky Fried Failure

Tek… Captain of the Sinking Stinking Ship

Lackey the Slackey

No Homies in my New Home by Carl Crawford

Crawfishing on the Crawford Signing

Chicago… My Kind of Town!

I Didn’t Know How to Spell Evil Empire… and Now I Are One!

Poppy Can Kiss My….

2. redbug
      October 14th, 2011 | 6:04 pm

So, how does Crawford feel after reading this?

What a mess!

3. Evan3457
      October 15th, 2011 | 12:18 pm

…and the best part about it is this:

When Crawford has a good season in 2012, Henry can look like a fool twice.

And then backtrack on what he said here. And look like a fool a third time.

October 15th, 2011 | 2:54 pm

redbug wrote:

So, how does Crawford feel after reading this?

He’ll be fine once he looks at his bank statement. I also think he will have a good 2012

5. KPOcala
      October 16th, 2011 | 1:49 am

Smugness can be very fleeting, no? I haven’t seen any articles by Gammons lately. Maybe he’s in Henry’s bunker?

6. MJ Recanati
      October 17th, 2011 | 2:17 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

…and the best part about it is this:When Crawford has a good season in 2012, Henry can look like a fool twice.And then backtrack on what he said here. And look like a fool a third time.

What sort of owner opposes a signing but doesn’t get his way? A passive-aggressive one that likes to object to things on the record so that he can look prescient when it doesn’t work (and won’t mention his objections publicly when it does work).

Who else is famous for passive-aggressive behavior? Hank Steinbrenner. Seems like John Henry and Hank share an affinity for the same sort of stupidity.