• Theo Says Goodbye To Red Sox Nation

Posted by on October 25th, 2011 · Comments (11)

From Theo Epstein today -

Football legend Bill Walsh used to say that coaches and executives should seek change after 10 years with the same team. The theory is that both the individual and the organization benefit from a change after so much time together. The executive gets rebirth and the energy that comes with a new challenge; the organization gets a fresh perspective, and the chance for true change that comes with new leadership. This idea resonated with me. Although I tried my best to fight it, I couldn’t escape the conclusion that both the Red Sox and I would benefit from a change sometime soon.

With this thought in mind, my assistant general manager, Ben Cherington, and I discussed how best to finish preparing him to take over as general manager, likely after the 2012 season, and how to ensure that the Red Sox could maintain continuity within our talented baseball operations group. Those steps were important for me before I could begin to feel comfortable making a transition. This summer, when ownership and I first discussed Ben as my successor, the Red Sox were stable, thriving, and talented enough in the big leagues and in the farm system to compete as one of the best clubs in baseball this year and for many years to come.

Then, September happened.

All of a sudden, we found ourselves needing to pick a new manager, a decision with long-term implications and one best made by someone who could lead the Red Sox baseball operation for the foreseeable future. Then the Cubs asked permission to interview me. The Cubs – with their passionate fans, dedicated ownership, tradition, and World Series drought – represented the ultimate new challenge and the one team I could imagine working for after such a fulfilling Red Sox experience.

So, knowing my time as the general manager was drawing to an end, I had a decision to make: stay one more year and do my best to conduct the manager’s search under less than ideal circumstances, or recommend the succession plan, allow Ben to run the search process, and join the Cubs. I wrestled with leaving during a time when criticism, deserved and otherwise, surrounded the organization. But Walsh’s words kept popping into my head, and I recalled how important it was for me as a relatively new general manager to bond with Terry Francona during the interview process back in 2003.

I totally agree with the notion that there comes a time when it’s best for the individual and the franchise to move on – after they have been a manager or front office executive for a long time. Too bad the Yankeees and Brian Cashman don’t understand this concept.

Comments on Theo Says Goodbye To Red Sox Nation

October 25th, 2011 | 2:14 pm

It could be that they’re not at that point yet.

2. MJ Recanati
      October 25th, 2011 | 2:50 pm

Raf wrote:

It could be that they’re not at that point yet.

If the Red Sox had made the playoffs, there’s a chance Theo and Boston wouldn’t have reached that point either.

3. tanzo
      October 25th, 2011 | 5:15 pm

That is the biggest BS in the world. Where would have Theo gone next year?? Retirement?? Biggest snow job in the world.

John Schuerholz has been with Atlanta for 21 years, 17 as GM and now 4 as president.

Billy Beane has been GM of the A’s for 15 years.

October 25th, 2011 | 5:26 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Hope Theo wins in Chicago just to stick it to RSN. I wish the best to Francona as well.

Joni Mitchell never lies…

5. October 25th, 2011 | 5:34 pm

The advantage of having a term limit is that it creates a regular infusion of fresh ideas and new perspectives. The disadvantage is that it creates a loss of organizational memory. I’ll trade the latter for the former every time.

6. Garcia
      October 25th, 2011 | 5:37 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      I do think it was time for a change. I think Cashman is a smart guy, but a new GM would be something I would have welcomed.

7. redbug
      October 25th, 2011 | 6:03 pm

I think Cashman’s ready to go too. The extramarital affair, the public disagreement re Soriano, etc.

The yankees are in transition. George’s kids are not George. Levine is there w/ more of a voice than he had before. Can you imagine working for that guy?

I bet Cashman wished his phone rang instead of Theo’s.

October 25th, 2011 | 7:13 pm

Steve L. wrote:

I’ll take the 90′s over the 80′s. Having said that, the Yankees are doing what they’ve always done; throwing money at players, with some parts from the farm system thrown in.

Has there been a year since 1973 where the Yankees weren’t involved in the FA market?

9. Corey Italiano
      October 25th, 2011 | 8:01 pm

tanzo wrote:

110% agree.

10. #15
      October 25th, 2011 | 9:44 pm

“Down Goes Lackey! Down Goes Lackey!”

11. agsf
      October 26th, 2011 | 6:17 pm

“Agreed. Just goes to show the morons running the show in Boston. Glad the Yanks aren’t like that anymore.”

Theo was close to leaving before. He wasn’t going to stay with boston regardless. Even without the cubs, he would have moved higher with another club. Anyone that believes Theo was ever going to stay for an extended period either hasn’t paid attention or is clueless.

“Just goes to show the morons running the show in Boston. Glad the Yanks aren’t like that anymore.”

The only difference between the Yankees and Red Sox this season was one pitching staff collapsed and the other didn’t. Looking at how the season ended, the Red Sox are doing well to move on. Also, Hal Steinbrenner says hi.