• ’86 Mets Vs. ’98 Yankees

Posted by on October 26th, 2011 · Comments (6)

Straw likes the Mets and O’Neill takes Yankees.

Mike Silva once looked at this.

Ditto Lisa Swan.

Who do you think would win?

Comments on ’86 Mets Vs. ’98 Yankees

1. Jim TreshFan
      October 26th, 2011 | 10:31 am

I’ll go with the ’98 Yankees. And I’m far from alone. As you can see they won that simulated series 4 games to 2. Even more, they have been rated higher by independent sources. In Baseball Dynasties (2000) Rob Neyer ranks the 1998 Yankees 3rd all time (behind only the 1939 Yankees and the 1970 Orioles) while placing the 1986 Mets 8th. Eddie Epstein in the same book ranks the 98 Yanks 4th (behind the ’39 and ’27 Yankees and the ’70 O’s) and the ’86 Mets 10th. And in the appendix to that book The ’98 Yankees come out with the highest single season Standard Deviation score while the ’86 Mets rank 7th.

Anecdotally, some time after the 1998 season I tried to come up with ways of evaluating the Yankees that year. I wound up creating a couple of statistics. The first arrived at by deducting the Yankees total plate appearances and run scored from the league totals that year. I then took those runs scored by AL teams other than the Yankees and divided them by the AL plate appearances minus the Yankees. This gave me a type of “batting average” or actually a “scoring average” for the AL outside the Yankees. I then took just the Yankees totals in runs scored, divided that by their total plate appearances and then divided that scoring average by the AL average, moved the decimal point over two places and rounded it out to the nearest whole integer. This gave me my first stat: Adjusted Run Production (ARP). An ARP of 100 would be average, meaning a team scored runs at an average rate for the league that year. I’ve long since lost my notes but I believe the Yankees were somewhere in the neighborhood of 105 which compared favorably to other great teams. I then did the same for runs allowed and total defensive innings to create a stat I called Adjusted Defensive Efficiency (ADE). Once again the 1998 Yankees compared favorably to other great teams (and I believe they topped the ’86 Mets in both categories). I know it’s just another cuple of stats in a world of stats but I liked them because they were simple enough and based on the only things that ultimately only count in a baseball game: runs scored and runs allowed.

2. #15
      October 26th, 2011 | 3:00 pm

I don’t think it’s even that close of a discussion. The ’98 Yankees dominated the regular season and ran through the playoffs like poop through a goose. Try it this way… Was the ’98 Yankees team better than the 86 Red Sox? Not even a close call; and, it turned out the ’86 Red Sox were damn close to better than the ’86 Mets.

The only reason we are even having this discussion is the Mets have so little to hold on to in their team legacy. They were one and done.

3. October 26th, 2011 | 3:53 pm

That’s sort of my take on this…

The 1998 Yankees ran through the season and than ran over everyone in the post-season. The 1986 Mets needed the Red Sox to choke in order to win the World Series.

4. redbug
      October 26th, 2011 | 5:45 pm

@ Steve L.: and #15

One error and the Red Sox would’ve won.

No one came close to the Yankees domination in ’98.

5. October 26th, 2011 | 9:16 pm

The Mets have thrown a few dollars Strawberry’s way over the past few years so his opinion has been bought and paid for. It is silly to even bring the whole thing up. The 1986 Mets had a great season but it was not a great team. Where was the before or after, St. Louis beat the Mets out in both 85 and 87 only to lose the World Series to run of the mill championship teams. You want to talk about the 75-76 Reds we can have a discussion, but the 86 Mets, no way. The 86 Mets would make a good match with the 84 Tigers.

Also one must remember Strawberry was a critical component of the 86 Met team, he was contributor to the 98 Yanks, and maybe that was the difference in the self-serving world of Strawberry.

6. October 26th, 2011 | 9:29 pm

@ Jim TreshFan:

The 1970 Orioles shouldn’t even be mentioned in the same sentence with the 98 Yankees. The Orioles had strong starting pitching , the strongest in the league, but that’s it. The 70 Reds had no pitching whatsoever and they still managed to take the series 5 games. A horrible call at home plate in game 1 that went against the Reds may have cost the team a shot to at least make the series close. Of all the World championship teams of the 70′s I thought they were the least talented.