• It’s Time For Yankees Fans To Stop Saying “Count The Rings!”

Posted by on October 29th, 2011 · Comments (6)

Unless they were born before 1945 or something like that.

Comments on It’s Time For Yankees Fans To Stop Saying “Count The Rings!”

October 29th, 2011 | 11:03 am

I’ve never seen Babe Ruth or Mickey Mantle play, that doesn’t stop me from appreciating the ridiculous numbers they posted in their day.

2. agsf
      October 29th, 2011 | 3:53 pm

“It’s part of history, they can’t take that away, no matter how much they’d like to.”

You’re completely missing the point. Who says they’re not part of history? Let me help you out with this. Most people become fans of teams because of random choice, or they happened to be born in the area, or they happened to be born into a certain family. In other words, it’s luck.

That’s what makes fandom often so silly (of any team). And if a Yankee fan was born in 1980 and responds to debate with ‘count the rings’ they look like a moron. Of course it’s part of history. You don’t have to ignore it, and you can certainly appreciate it. But there’s no trophy for it. There’s no point in it. It’s simply history. The past.

3. October 29th, 2011 | 6:48 pm

For me, a fan who likes to brag about rings his team won before he was born is a lot like a guy who likes to take credit for something that his great-grandfather did…as if it was his own accomplishment.

Or, it’s like someone who joins a company with a long history of success walking around on “day 2″ of his employment and bragging about the firm’s profits back in 1950.

4. Jim TreshFan
      October 30th, 2011 | 12:11 am

So if you’re a Cardinals fan and you’re younger than 25 you must realize that your team is no more special than the Minnesota Twins or the Florida Marlins. But if you’re a Cardinals fan and you’re older than 47 then your team is almost as special as the Yankees?

I happened to live in St. Louis for a year. 1991. I don’t remember them making any such distinction. In fact everyone, young and old, was excited about the upcoming centennial—”I’ll see you at the top of the 2nd!” Jack Buck beamed on the TV ads—as if it were a big, fat, family shindig.

I don’t know. Next year, 2012, will mark the 50th year since I began rooting for the Yankees. Life has been good overall I must say. Maybe the Cardinals fans have it better, or maybe they just think they do. What I feel myself is that I wouldn’t trade places with them now or then. How about you?

5. 77yankees
      October 30th, 2011 | 2:03 am

I wouldn’t trade being a Yankee fan for being a fan of any other team – college or pro – in any sport.

October 31st, 2011 | 10:10 am

agsf wrote:

You’re completely missing the point.

No, you’re completely missing the point.

Todd wrote:

You can cherry pick stats anyway you want to, but in the end the only thing that matters when it comes to championships is the number of them.