• Brian Cashman Finds A Howie Spira In Drag

Posted by on February 2nd, 2012 · Comments (11)

$6,000? That’s nothing compared to what Kei Igawa got from Cashman. The story via the AP -

A woman stalked and shook down New York Yankees general manager Brian Cashman, getting him to pay her $6,000 and demanding more by threatening to harm his reputation, prosecutors said Thursday.

The case represents “a long-term effort to control and manipulate the victim,” Manhattan Assistant District Attorney Eric Iverson told a judge as Louise Neathway, 36, was arraigned on grand larceny, stalking and harassment charges.

Her lawyers said Cashman had had “an inappropriate relationship” with Neathway, a medical sales worker and single mother of a 14-year-old daughter, and he turned on her when it ended badly.

“The Manhattan district attorney’s office bought his account of how this happened, hook, line and sinker,” lawyer Stephen G. McCarthy said. He and fellow Neathway lawyer Alan M. Abramson said Neathway denied the allegations.

Cashman said through spokesman Chris Giglio that he is “very grateful that this matter is in the hands of law enforcement.”

The Yankees declined to comment.

Neathway — who has a history of arrests on similar charges, prosecutors said — sometimes called and texted Cashman more than 10 times a night and threatened to harm someone he knew, prosecutors said.

After he told her last April that he didn’t want to talk to her anymore and even changed his contact information to avoid her, she asked him to pay for a $15,000-plus medical procedure and threatened to contact the press and his family with claims that would hurt his personal relationships and professional standing, according to a court complaint.

In response, he put $6,000 into two of her bank accounts Jan. 18 and tried again to extricate himself, but she instead demanded more money for operations, the complaint said.

A British native who also goes by Louise Meanwell, Neathway has a record that goes back to a 1998 trespassing arrest in North Carolina, Iverson told a judge. She’s still on probation stemming from a 2008 trespassing conviction in a New Jersey case that involved allegations of stalking and sending someone as many as 200 text messages in a weekend, and she has an open 2010 Manhattan harassment case, Iverson said.

McCarthy noted in court that the Manhattan case had been put on track to be dismissed, and he suggested prosecutors were making too much of the New Jersey case.

As for the current case, “it would be unfair to all of the parties involved to speculate about what occurred,” he and Abramson said in a written statement.

Neathway was being held on $300,000 bond. Her next court date is Tuesday.

And, Deadspin offers another angle here.

Does all this make Brian Cashman “Steve Phillips minus the hair”?

Comments on Brian Cashman Finds A Howie Spira In Drag

1. Garcia
      February 3rd, 2012 | 9:21 am

I hope this isn’t a distraction to the New York Football Giants.

So Cashman had some strange, she went crazy cause Cash dropped the elf sausage on her, she told Cash that if he didn’t fork over more Vienna Fingers (Cash as the Keebler Elf) then she was going to tell the authorities. Cash can only get fleeced so many times, I bet her crazy ass was wild in the sack.

The Steve Phillips chick was still evolving, this Cash girl, though, looks like she can be a lot of fun if only she stopped following him.

2. February 3rd, 2012 | 10:29 am

After Pavano, Igawa, Weaver, Burnett, Vazquez, et al, should any of us be shocked that Cashman has issues with making evaluations on risk?

So, Brian hooked up with a party hound and it turned into a Fatal Attraction thing. And, he tried to buy his way out of it (just like the deals for CC and Tex to cover up for his turkey in 2008) and then had to call the cops when the price got too high.

I’m telling ya, I wouldn’t want this guy managing a Dairy Queen, much less the Yankees…

3. Garcia
      February 3rd, 2012 | 11:52 am

@ Steve L.:
      I think you are making correlations that really don’t apply, but hey it makes you feel better to kill the guy then so be it.

I could care less about his extracurricular activities, unless he was out driving drunk and putting me at risk with his out of control behavior.

I’m willing to bet that his success/failure rate is no different than most GMs. The Yankees have a different business model where they need to spend money, sometimes those decisions backfire, and when they backfire then it’s different than when the Angels decide to go with Brandon Wood as their SS, or Casey Kotchman at first base.

It’s a better story to say that Cash’s decision to spend on player X backfired because it’s easier for people to puff their chest out and say: THIS GUY IS SO AWFUL!!!! How didn’t he know?

I understand wanting a changing of the guard, I fully support that, and I wanted Cash gone. But to act like Cash is somehow the worse general manager ever in the history of general managers, then I’d have to question how much time you’ve spent in corporate America. Because I have a slew that I know who are making over $200K a year and I wouldn’t want managing a dairy queen.

4. February 3rd, 2012 | 12:50 pm

Great line at BBTF:

Looks like it may be time for Cashman’s wife to smoke the objective pipe.

5. February 3rd, 2012 | 2:46 pm
    6. Corey Italiano
      February 3rd, 2012 | 6:03 pm

i can’t believe we were actually in contact with this person lol…the internet is a crazy place!

February 3rd, 2012 | 7:06 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Another great point:

Great point? The only point that comes out of this is that this chica got played. Fool shoulda stayed in her lane. Gotta respect the game, a side piece is just that, a side piece. No matter how you dress it up, ground chuck will never be filet mignon.

8. February 3rd, 2012 | 8:44 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

Amen brother. Or, should I say thanks for pointing her in my direction? :-)

9. Garcia
      February 4th, 2012 | 1:20 pm

@ Raf:
      Exactly.

10. Ricketson
      August 18th, 2013 | 9:23 pm

Aug. 18, 2013: “‘Is this a distraction? For me, yes,’ [Cashman] said. ‘I can’t speak for others but I know it’s definitely a distraction for me. I’ve got a lot of extra work from this stuff. It’s very frustrating… ‘There’s not much to say other than the fact that I wish we weren’t dealing with any of this stuff,’ Cashman said…

[T]he GM described the situation as negative for the club.

‘Listen, none of this stuff is productive,’ he said… ‘We’ve never had anything like this. This is my 16th year here, and I’ve never seen anything like this.’”

11. Ricketson
      August 19th, 2013 | 11:04 am

Aug. 18, 2013: “‘It’s like, how do you handle that?’ Cashman said. ‘I felt like Selena Roberts a little bit there, or Katie Couric… because I know that, at that moment in time, I was lied to.’”

Or Mary Bresnan…