• The Best G.M. In Baseball

    Posted by on February 29th, 2012 · Comments (17)

    Please consider taking the following poll:

    {democracy:121}

    Thanks in advance. And, please feel free to add comments on your opinion in the comments section.

    Comments on The Best G.M. In Baseball

    1. February 29th, 2012 | 1:48 pm

      Wow. Some people really do believe that Brian Cashman is the best G.M. in all of baseball.

    2. MJ Recanati
      February 29th, 2012 | 5:15 pm

      Steve L. wrote:

      Wow. Some people really do believe that Brian Cashman is the best G.M. in all of baseball.

      When you look at this list, he’s certainly closer to the top than the bottom.

      Now, whether you attribute that to his own skils or the fact that his peers might be worse at his job than he is (depending on your perspective), that’s a different story.

    3. MJ Recanati
      February 29th, 2012 | 5:16 pm

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      or the fact that his peers might be worse at his job than he is

      *his peers might be worse at their jobs than he is…

      Damn typos…

    4. Corey Italiano
      February 29th, 2012 | 7:30 pm

      FWIW I voted for Friedman.

    5. Corey Italiano
      February 29th, 2012 | 7:31 pm

      Bet most people don’t even know Jed Hoyer is the Cubs GM

    6. Raf
      February 29th, 2012 | 8:49 pm

      Steve L. wrote:

      Wow. Some people really do believe that Brian Cashman is the best G.M. in all of baseball.

      It’s not that hard of a stretch. Let’s face it, if he were as incompetent as you and others think he is, he wouldn’t have had the success he has had as GM.

    7. Raf
      February 29th, 2012 | 8:52 pm

      Hard to argue with
      4 World Series titles
      6 AL Pennants
      11 AL East titles
      2 AL Wild Cards,

      Not a bad run.

    8. Jim TreshFan
      March 1st, 2012 | 1:41 am

      A related question: Who is the best bullpen coach in baseball?

    9. March 1st, 2012 | 6:50 am

      Raf wrote:

      Hard to argue with
      4 World Series titles
      6 AL Pennants
      11 AL East titles
      2 AL Wild Cards, Not a bad run.

      How much of that is Cashman’s skill as a GM as opposed to the cadre that he inherited from Stick/Watson and then, later, the Steinbrenner Family Checkbook (to offset mistakes and overpay for wins)?

    10. March 1st, 2012 | 6:51 am

      Jim TreshFan wrote:

      A related question: Who is the best bullpen coach in baseball?

      Oh, that’s easy. It’s Mike Harkey. Why? Simple. He’s a Yankee. And, the Yankees are the best at everything.

    11. Raf
      March 1st, 2012 | 7:40 am

      Steve L. wrote:

      Raf wrote:
      Hard to argue with
      4 World Series titles
      6 AL Pennants
      11 AL East titles
      2 AL Wild Cards, Not a bad run.
      How much of that is Cashman’s skill as a GM as opposed to the cadre that he inherited from Stick/Watson and then, later, the Steinbrenner Family Checkbook (to offset mistakes and overpay for wins)?

      That cadre wrapped 2 first round exits (one where they blew a 2-0 series lead) around a WS win.

      And what, Harding Peterson gets no love?

      Gene Michael and Bob Watson didn’t use the Steinbrenner Family Checkbook? News to me… I could’ve sworn Wade Boggs, Spike Owen, Tony Fernandez, Danny Tartabull, etc, etc, etc were bought

    12. March 1st, 2012 | 11:40 am

      @ Raf:

      You know the value of RCAA, RSAA, WAR, and other metrics that bring relativity to numbers and provide context.

      Don’t you think the same should be applied to GMs? Something like Wins/Salary or something like that. If there was such a stat, then you would see the real value of Cashman in terms of how he gets the job done.

    13. Raf
      March 1st, 2012 | 2:54 pm

      Wins/Salary would make as much sense as pitching wins, even less so, especially when you consider things like variances in salaries, contracts and team worth.

      At the ML level, the Yankees are fine. At the MiL level, the Yankees are fine. I’m sure their finances are fine. I’m confident their brand is fine.

    14. MJ Recanati
      March 1st, 2012 | 5:06 pm

      Raf wrote:

      Wins/Salary would make as much sense as pitching wins, even less so, especially when you consider things like variances in salaries, contracts and team worth.

      Bingo.

      Doing it for cheaper doesn’t do anything but pad an owner’s wallet. The Yankee business model doesn’t contemplate doing it for cheaply because, if it did, that $1B monument to excess wouldn’t have been built on the other side of the street from the old ballpark.

      The bottom line is that Cashman may not be the best GM — that’s entirely subjective — but he’s done a very good job and the results speak for themselves. His methods — the same methods as his predecessors and, increasingly, the same methods as other teams whose fortunes have been raised over the past decade — may offend some but that’s really a subjective issue and nothing more.

    15. March 3rd, 2012 | 8:48 am

      Raf wrote:

      Wins/Salary would make as much sense as pitching wins, even less so, especially when you consider things like variances in salaries, contracts and team worth.

      Agreed that wins can sometimes be BS for pitchers, just as RBI can be for hitters.

      However, for teams, or a franchise, it’s more than acceptable to judge them in terms of wins.

      If not, what would you suggest – instead of wins and losses in the standings rank teams by wOBA and xFIP? Really?

    16. Raf
      March 3rd, 2012 | 11:40 am

      @ Steve L.:

      Judging by wins isn’t the same as tying wins to salary for the reasons I mentioned.

    17. Kamieniecki
      November 19th, 2013 | 9:36 pm

      Raf wrote:

      Wins/Salary would make as much sense as pitching wins.

      And what is it that wins?

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      … Doing it for cheaper doesn’t do anything but pad an owner’s wallet..

      “Doing” what “for cheaper?” Winning only one pennant in ten years, or a period of time within which at least three or four pennants should have been won, for the money spent, as other franchises have?

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      The Yankee business model doesn’t contemplate doing it for cheaply…

      The “Yankee business model” doesn’t comtemplate winning more than one pennant in ten years, or a period of time within which at least three or four pennants should have been won, for the money spent, as other franchises have?

      What does it contemplate?

      A team should be able to outspend all other franchises with a substantial payroll advantage, and have 9-10 playoff appearances in a ten-year period, and win 3-4 pennants in the ten-year period; there is not data to suggest otherwise.

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      Cashman

      He did Meanwell.

      MJ Recanati wrote:

      [Cashman's] methods — the same methods as his predecessors and, increasingly, the same methods as other teams whose fortunes have been raised over the past decade

      False.

      Cashman’s “methods” are not the same as Michael’s “methods,” and the only other team with “methods” comparable to Cashman’s which has experienced success in the past decade has been the Los Angeles Dodgers, and only in the last year.

      Raf wrote:

      Judging by wins

      A G.M. can not be judged by wins. The New York Yankees had six or seven different G.M.s from 1980-89, and still finished the decade with the most wins in baseball.

    Leave a reply

    You must be logged in to post a comment.