• 2012 Topps Opening Day Retail Blaster Box

Posted by on March 10th, 2012 · Comments (8)

Today, after dinner, my son (who will soon be eight) and I picked up a 2012 Topps Opening Day Retail Blaster Box. Not a bad deal – 77 cards for ten bucks.

He had a blast (no pun intended) opening up the packets and seeing who he got – and then separating them and stacking the cards up by team.

Best yet: He got no dupes in the 77 cards and got at least one player from every team sans the Cardinals. And, he also got a card for Mickey Mantle, Mr. Met and Raymond (the Rays mascot). He especially like the “Opening Day Stars” card for Jose Bautista with the 3D-effect. (I thought it was funny that he got a Jesus Montero Yankees card and a Michael Pineda Mariners card. I guess that tells you when they were cut – because he got Angels cards for C.J. Wilson and Albert Pujols…and a Marlins card for Health Bell and a Reds card for Matt Latos.)

He’s still at the age where he likes to “play” with the cards – looking at the pictures, reading the names, sorting them in different ways. He’s not at that stage where the cards have to be kept untouched and pristine. Oh, to be almost eight years old…

Before we got the cards, during dinner – and it was just me and him since my wife and daughter were at a birthday party – I reminded him that I had a race coming up. Related, I said to him that maybe one day, when he’s older, we’ll run a race together.

He said that running for miles was not his thing. And, hearing that, I told him that maybe that would change when he’s an adult, like it did for me.

Without any delay, he answered me with “Dad, did you forget? When I grow up, I’m going to be a baseball player!” Ah, yes, to be almost eight years old, indeed…

Comments on 2012 Topps Opening Day Retail Blaster Box

March 11th, 2012 | 8:38 am

You run now? 5k I presume?

As for your son, you know the drill; if he throws left handed, teach him to pitch. If he bats left handed, teach him to catch. :D

2. March 11th, 2012 | 9:00 am

@ Raf:
      Yup – I started running back in January 2011. Ran my first two 5K races at the end of last year and got hooked on racing. I like the 5K because it doesn’t require my wife and kids to hang out long and wait for me at the finish line. They know I will be showing up in 25 minutes or less – depending on the hills in the course.

I would do a race every week if I could – the problem is Little League baseball and basketball. We have games on Saturday (just about 12 months a year) and most 5K races in NJ are on Saturdays. But, if I see one in my area on a Sunday, I usually jump on it.

And, I like to have the kids there to see that you’re never too old to run, etc. Plus, they like the crowds.

Last race I did was in Toms River back in Decemember and it had over 600 people running it. That makes for an exciting starting line, etc.

For a newbie runner, I do OK. Keep in mind, for the first 48 years of my life, I never ran, period, EVER.

In my first race ever last November, overall, I finished 91st out of 317. For men in the race, I finished 58th out of 138. And, for my age group in the men, 40-49, I finished 14th out of 31.

In my second and last race, back in December, there were 615 runners in the race – and I finished 207th overall. I finished 133rd out of the 283 men running the race. And, I finished 14th out of the 28 men who ran the race between the ages of 45 and 49.

On my own, I try and run at least twice a week – doing some different 5K routes that I have mapped out by my house.

In fact, in a bit, I am heading out to get a 5K run in today.

March 11th, 2012 | 9:08 am

@ Steve L.:

Good job!

I’ve recently (last week :P) started one of those “couch to 5k” programs (corporate race in July), so I can empathize. It sucks when you first start, but hopefully things will get better.

I still have my workout program that I’m sticking to about 3 weeks in.

It’s amazing how quickly one gets old. Time is like a ninja the way it sneaks up on you.

4. March 11th, 2012 | 10:48 am

@ Raf:
      C25K is what I used to get started too. And, to be honest, when I FIRST started, it was HARD to run 30 seconds without stopping. Needless to say, it gets better! Hang with it. The program works. I was NEVER a distance guy. My runs were 90 feet, 180 feet and 270 feet, if you get my drift. Anything more than that required 0h-two. :-)

March 18th, 2012 | 1:43 pm

@ Steve L.:
      Do you still lift?

6. March 18th, 2012 | 3:19 pm

Oh, yeah. At a minimum, I try and hit the gym three days a week and run two days a week.

I have to do it – between commuting and work hours, I sit on my ass for at least 12 hours a day Monday through Friday. If I didn’t lift and run, I would be jello.

March 18th, 2012 | 3:55 pm

Same here, I try to do 3 and 3 with a rest day on Sunday. Lift days are built around the major exercises (squat, deadlift & bench). Running I try to build on as per the program. Not strong enough to run on back to back days (other than getting loose) yet, though I blew my timing belt so I’ve been walking 4 miles daily.

Haven’t been to the gym since, though in it’s place I’ve been doing bodyweight exercises; squats, situps & pushups

8. March 18th, 2012 | 6:05 pm

Lately, I’ve been in a routine of Chest & Back one day, Legs & Shoulders another, and Biceps and Triceps another. Sometimes I will do Chest & Triceps, Legs & Shoulders, and then Back & Biceps. Or, to mix it up, sometimes I’ll do total body one day, run another day, do upper body another day, and then lower body the next. Always do Abs every time in the gym. Core is my weak spot.

If you like body weight exercises, try P90X.