• Los Mets – Dios Sólo Sabe

Posted by on March 13th, 2012 · Comments (8)

Via J.P. Morosi -

[Carlos] Beltran arrived in New York after the 2004 season along with future Hall of Fame pitcher Pedro Martinez, as the Mets made a resounding statement about their intentions to spend money and win championships. Now, the Mets are viewed as a possible last-place team in the National League East after lopping roughly $50 million from their payroll since this time last year.

“I think they’re going in a different direction,” Beltran said. “You have to be a little frustrated for the fans, knowing probably the team isn’t going to be what the fans really want to see out there. But at the end of the day, they have prospects, players who are going to be good one day. But when that day’s going to be, only God knows.”

I recently heard a caller on WFAN say that you could still buy tickets to the Mets home opener this year – whereas, in years past, fans would wait on line for hours for the chance to try and get what few tickets were left.

And, I thought to myself – is that such a bad thing?

Is there much difference between your team winning 75 games and not making the post-season and your team winning 95 games and getting knocked out in the first round of the playoffs? Neither team wins a World Series ring. And, there’s maybe 3 or 4 times a month, on average, where you’re watching the 75-win team lose a game that the 95-win team would have won. Isn’t that worth the trade-off of being able to get tickets to games without having to pay more than face value and for being able to see games in person with the place not being packed?

Don’t get me wrong – it’s great to be at a packed ballpark on Opening Day or during the post-season. But, there’s something else to be said about watching a game and maybe being able to stretch out your legs or not having some drunk sitting on top of you.

The Mets may be a lemon – but, they also could make some sweet limonada for their fans this season too.

(And, yeah, I know, the Los Mets thing went out the window with Omar. I just need to get over that.)

Comments on Los Mets – Dios Sólo Sabe

1. Corey Italiano
      March 13th, 2012 | 4:57 pm

I doubt if you had been a Pirates fan for the last 2 decades that you’d be saying the same thing.

2. redbug
      March 13th, 2012 | 5:04 pm

Well, I can relate. Some of my favorite times of going to the stadium or watching on TV were the years when it was obvious there wasn’t going to be a trip to the WS.

I liked sitting wherever I wanted. I liked being able to get there early, go to field level and get an autograph. It was fun thinking I saw progress.

3. Evan3457
      March 13th, 2012 | 5:42 pm

I used to love to go Mets games in the late 70′s and very early 80′s. I remember going to a twi-night DH late one season against the Expos, 1982 I think (I remember Bryan Little and Bryn Smith both being rookies I had never seen and wanting to see if they were any good), driving into the lot and parking about 15 minutes before the start of the 1st game, walking up the ticket window, and buying a box seat in the 3rd row between home and 1st for face value, which, back then, was what? $10? Something like that, maybe less.

Two games, nice weather if a little on the chilly side (what did I care? I was 24 back then…), great seats, hot dogs, pretzels, a virtually empty park nobody on top of me, no jam to get out the Shea lot as usual, no lines at the concession stand or in the bathrooms, and did I mention two whole baseball games?

Dave Kingman was on his 2nd go round with the Mets. Mookie was already there, it was Backman’s 1st significant seasons, and Gardenhire’s, they had just signed George Foster as their big free-agent get, Orosco and Terry Leach were already there, as were the two guys they would trade for Keith Hernandez, Ownbey and Neil Allen, Ed Lynch was there, as was pre-spitter, uh, pre-splitter Mike Scott.

They didn’t seem that all that bad to me, but they were well on their way to 65-97 and the 6th time in 7 years they would finish 5th or last in the 6-team NL East. The Expos were starting to slider from their Carter/Raines/Dawson/Rogers/Sanderson/Gullickson/Reardon peak, but they were still good enough for 3rd at 86-76.

Good times…low pressure, and it took my mind off the Yanks’ disastrous Ken Griffey/Dave Collins/Roy Smalley fiasco of a year.

…but I forget; yeah, it’s nice having a 2nd team in town for low cost, low pressure entertainment. Especially when the Yanks are on an off day, and the Mets are playing somebody decent but not too good from the Central or West (not the Dodgers; think Padres, Brewers, Rockies, D’backs, that sort of thing).

4. Evan3457
      March 13th, 2012 | 5:45 pm

Oh…total attendence at Shea on Sept. 21, 1982?

2,251.

Sweet. For me.

Not so much for the relatively new Wilpon/Doubleday ownership, though

5. Jim TreshFan
      March 13th, 2012 | 8:51 pm

@ Evan3457:
      I had the same eperience at the old New yankee Stadium in 1976. My friends and I would drive down to the game, park the car, walk up to the ticket booth and buy 6 or 7 field level seats about 4 rows in on the 3rd base side, stop at Manny’s Baseball Land for a spell, then head into the park to sprawl out in our seats about 10 minutes before game time. I remember in particular a little banter between some young turk hanging over the railing for autographs and Pat Dobson (then with the Indians);

Kid – “Hey, Dobber! How ’bout an autograph?”
      Dobson- “You don’t want an autograph from a fag!”
      Kid – “Is that why you been traded so much?”

God, I miss the old days!

6. March 13th, 2012 | 9:35 pm

Also, I will say this – it’s sweeter when you finally win one after being a so-so or not so good team for a while.

That’s why 1977 and 1996 were so sweet for the Yankees.

It’s a totally different feeling than when your team wins one after being in the playoffs for just about every season, for something like a half-dozen years, playing like crap in October, and then winning one.

The feeling there is “Well, it’s about time” more than “Holy bleeping bleep, I can’t believe they won it!”

7. satchel
      March 14th, 2012 | 7:50 am

I see both sides here but my heart tells me it’s better to have a winning team.

When your team is a 95-game winner, you don’t know they are going to be eliminated in the first round of the playoffs until it happens. You have a whole season of that hope, that excitement, something to look forward to.

When your team is a 75-game winner, you know – probably by the end of April – that they aren’t going anywhere.

Winning keeps the players energized, too. They are humans, not baseball-playing robots – and it has to be depressing, especially for the younger ones, to know that the season is at a dead end. It’s tough to give it your best day after day under those conditions.

So yeah, it may be nice to be able to get tickets cheap or at a moment’s notice. But it’s tickets for the privilege of sitting in a half-full, quiet stadium watching a mediocre, poorly-concentrating team go through the motions.

I guess for some that might be better than no live MLB at all – I guess it depends upon why you go to games, and everyone’s reasons are different. But, it’s going to be harder to get kids interested in a team that doesn’t win …

8. March 14th, 2012 | 8:19 am

FWIW, I became a Yankees fan at the end of ’72 and the beginning of ’73. And, at the time, the Mets were winning, or the better team, as they won in ’69 and again in ’73.

Why the Yankees? It just clicked for me.