Here some information on what’s in this one:
- Defensive Runs Saved— these defensive evaluations are back with significant enhancements to the eight-component system first introduced in Volume II.
- Timer Plus/Minus—the Plus/Minus system, which measures each fielder’s ability to turn batted balls into outs, gets a facelift to incorporate the brand new batted ball timer information, creating a better and objective fielding evaluations.
- Good Play/Misplay Runs Saved—turns Bill James’ in-depth Good Fielding Plays and Defensive Misplays system into a new component of Defensive Runs Saved, adding previously-unrecorded aspects of defense like scooped throws and pitch blocks.
- Total Runs—adding Pitching Runs Created to offensive, defensive, and baserunning ratings to combine every aspect of the game into one tell-all number for every player.
- The latest essay from Bill James on defense.
- Defensive scouting reports and player commentaries on every regular and semi-regular position player in baseball.
- New studies on crucial aspects of fielding, including defensive positioning, the “Ted Williams shift”, bunts, double plays, outfielder arms and catcher defense.
The Fielding Bible – Volume III contains some fascinating findings and should be considered the “go to” reference resource on the defensive ability of recent major league baseball players. This book helps you eliminate the noise around a player’s defensive value and separates fact from fiction. You can spend hours going through The Fielding Bible – Volume III and still not touch the bottom of this wonderful pool of data and analysis. If you’re a fan of sabermetrics, this is a must read for you. And, if you’re a fan of baseball, it will be to your benefit to check out The Fielding Bible – Volume III . I sincerely recommend this book.