• The Return Of Andy Pettitte

Posted by on March 16th, 2012 · Comments (25)

The story.

Just in time for Michael Pineda’s Javy Vazquez routine…

Comments on The Return Of Andy Pettitte

1. MJ Recanati
      March 16th, 2012 | 12:13 pm

I wonder what Pettitte has left in the tank, especially after such a long layoff.

That being said, if he’s willing to toil in the minors for a spell in order to get himself in shape, I’m more than happy to welcome him back with open arms in May or June, or whenever he’s ready.

And, for the record, I agree on Pineda. I don’t think it’ll be for the reasons you think — the “can’t handle New York” thing is baloney — but I think Pineda is going to be awful simply because he’s a flyball pitcher in a hitter’s park. It’ll be brutal watching Pineda the next couple of seasons (before he’s sent packing).

2. March 16th, 2012 | 12:52 pm

Pettitte is one of my all-time favs.
      I just hope he doesn’t embarrass himself with this move.
      I doubt that he will – if he does some tune up games and doesn’t have it, I suspect he will hang it up again.

Pineda? Looks like Cashman got smoked again in that deal – the velo is an issue.

I know that his 2nd half stats last year where just bad luck, etc. So, you can throw them out. But, a 2-pitch pitcher, which Pineda is now, without velo is, well, see Phil Hughes last year. BP time.

3. G.I. Joey
      March 16th, 2012 | 12:54 pm

Supposedly Pineda’s change-up is coming along, but I wouldn’t be surprised if he abandoned it after the first regular season game he mixes it in and doesn’t have success with it.

4. MJ Recanati
      March 16th, 2012 | 12:59 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Agree. Pineda is going to be pretty hideous…

5. Greg H.
      March 16th, 2012 | 2:48 pm

You guys are brutal on Pineda. The big kid will be fine.

I’m more skeptical of Andy at 40 yrs. The one thing it does give us is an option before the trade deadline IF he’s capable of picking up more or less where he left off. That could be an upside.

I would like to see Hughes get a full season of work, and not get switched to the BP in June to make room for Andy Pettitte.

6. March 16th, 2012 | 3:01 pm

I don’t think it will be that long for Pettitte. Barring injury, he’ll be up by May 1st.

7. Corey Italiano
      March 16th, 2012 | 4:53 pm

Steve L. wrote:

I bet the Yankees hope just long enough for Hughes or Nova to get a few good starts in so that they can be traded.

I’m “rooting” for Hughes.

8. JeremyM
      March 16th, 2012 | 6:16 pm

Wow, you guys are really tearing Pineda a new one. Can’t he throw a single game for the Yanks during the regular season first? That said, there is a lot riding on Cashman on this one.

March 16th, 2012 | 6:25 pm

Mrs. Pettitte was driving Andy nuts? :D

Good to see him back, I’m sure the year off did him well. It’s not like he retired due to lack of effectiveness.

I wouldn’t worry about Pineda just yet.

10. Evan3457
      March 16th, 2012 | 7:09 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Pettitte is one of my all-time favs.
      I just hope

There’s no reason to believe this, yet.

He’s getting a changeup, or haven’t you heard.
      Way, way too early for this kind of panic mode.
      It’s March 16th, for spit’s sake.

11. Corey Italiano
      March 17th, 2012 | 1:11 am

I think Pineda will do just fine. He was nasty last year in Seattle.

12. redbug
      March 17th, 2012 | 4:34 am

@ Raf:

More like Andy was driving her nuts!

Cashman has nothing to lose..Andy’s salary is $2.5m If he doesn’t have it, he’ll go home and resume driving his wife nuts.

Boy, if he had re-signed last yr, he probably would’ve gotten $13m+. But, he’s made plenty of money.

It’d be great if he’s got another year to give the Yanks 12 – 15 wins. It’ll be great to see him again.

March 17th, 2012 | 7:53 am

7 starters for 5 spots… Read Pettitte’s return was discussed back in December. Wish he would’ve signed then, it would’ve been nice to have kept Montero.

Oh well, them’s the breaks. I still think Pineda will be fine.

So, does Pettitte have the same deal Clemens got? Even with the year off, I think he can be at least a 5 and fly pitcher. Has anyone contacted Suzyn Waldman for a reaction?

March 17th, 2012 | 8:34 am

There ya go…

From Chad Jennings:
      “Cashman just spoke on YES Network and told the story of Pettitte’s signing. Turns out, the Yankees offered Pettitte a substantial deal in December but Pettitte turned it down because he wasn’t sure he wanted to come back. Pettitte started working out to get in shape, but when the Yankees made their moves for Pineda and Kuroda, Cashman told Pettitte he no longer had the money to make the signing. Pettitte shut it down briefly, then resumed throwing and approached Cashman during that brief stint as a guest instructor late last month. Earlier this week, Pettitte sneaked into camp for an early morning bullpen in front of Cashman, Joe Girardi and Larry Rothschild. Cashman confirmed that Pettitte will have to go through his own sort of spring training and pitch in some minor league games before he’s ready to join the big league rotation.”

H/T to Bronx Banter

15. Corey Italiano
      March 17th, 2012 | 11:52 am

Raf wrote:

I think they would have traded for Pineda even if Pettitte signed back in December. The difference would have been that they wouldn’t have signed Kuroda. With all the talk about staying under somewhat of a budget, I just don’t see them signing both Kuroda and Andy and keeping Montero.

I honestly think this might turn out to be better for the Yanks. Now they can build Hughes up throughout ST and then trade him for a bat or a upper-level outfield prospect.

March 17th, 2012 | 8:10 pm

@ Corey Italiano:
      I dunno, I think they keep Montero and slide Burnett to the #3. Or they trade Burnett and sign Kuroda anyway. I guess there are so many ways they could’ve gone.

I could see them moving Montero only for the fact that they waited so long to bring him up, and they weren’t going to trust him with that staff, so you’re right in that Montero may not have been around anyway. Especially when he was the centerpiece in a couple of deals.

17. MJ Recanati
      March 19th, 2012 | 1:31 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

I just had a good laugh with that one. Hughes has no trade value right now and even a good ST wouldn’t do much to change that. He’s got to make it through an entire season in the rotation, stay healthy, and demonstrate that he’s not just a one-pitch pitcher with a fringy second pitch.

Hughes, right now, is very much worthless in terms of yielding a bat or a MLB-ready OF prospect. He’s obviously got value to a rebuilding team that wants any old arm to slot into a rotation but the fact that he only has one more year of control after this one makes him only minimally attractive to the second-tier MLB teams.

18. PocketAces
      March 19th, 2012 | 2:54 pm

OK……..I get that the Yankees have some up and coming pitchers in the Minors.

But why would it be a good idea to trade Hughes/Nova? This is the 37 year old model that hasn’t thrown a pitch in in 1+ seasons. And to hope to get 150 IP and live the drama of will he or won’t he pitch next season for the next 3 or more years……I say hang on to all your pitchers.

Give Pineda a chance (wasn’t that bad last year)…..keep Nova (only won 16 with a 3.70 era and threw 165.1 IP)……

I have less of an argument for trading Hughes, but still has experience over the other Minor League/AAA pitchers gettng close to the big team

19. Corey Italiano
      March 19th, 2012 | 6:01 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

I’m not so convinced.

Remember, there was a team out there that paid us 13 million dollars to have AJ Burnett.

20. Corey Italiano
      March 19th, 2012 | 6:11 pm

PocketAces wrote:

But why would it be a good idea to trade Hughes/Nova?

Because you definitely won’t get crap for Garcia, and Hughes is kind of expendable anyway. There’s really no spot for him in the pen either because Joba will be back soon.

21. Corey Italiano
      March 19th, 2012 | 6:13 pm

PocketAces wrote:

Give Pineda a chance (wasn’t that bad last year)

I don’t think anyone who works for the Yanks seriously thinks that Pineda will not be in the rotation.

I’m all for keeping Nova. I think he has good stuff.

22. Corey Italiano
      March 19th, 2012 | 6:14 pm

Of course all of this is the nonexistent vacuum where no one ever gets injured.

23. MJ Recanati
      March 20th, 2012 | 3:00 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

I’m not following how that shows that Hughes has trade value. The Yankees got nothing in return from Pittsburgh because the Pirates were willing to pay money to keep their prospects in house.

Hughes has yet to prove that he’s anything but a #5 starter on a second-division team (like Pittsburgh) so I don’t see how or why you perceive him to have any trade value right now. He’d make a fine relief pitcher on several clubs but teams don’t trade a lot for relievers which is where the Yankees lose leverage in any potential trade.

24. MJ Recanati
      March 20th, 2012 | 3:05 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

I’d rather have Hughes over Chamberlain in the bullpen. Neither one is a good pitcher but Chamberlain has more trade value because someone might still believe that Chamberlain can be put back into the rotation.

To trade Hughes just to clear a spot in the bullpen for Chamberlain would make no sense to me. Chamberlain shouldn’t have his bullpen spot guaranteed at Hughes’s expense since the 6th inning/low-leverage role can be filled by anyone. Not only that but you’d want to trade the guy with the highest trade value.

25. G.I. Joey