• Fan Arrested For Moving His Seat At Ballpark

Posted by on May 18th, 2012 · Comments (6)

Via the Daily News

An off-duty NYPD cop ended up arrested Wednesday night for moving to a better seat at Citi Field, then refusing to budge when security cried foul.

Officer Eduardo Cornejo had a legit ticket to the Mets’ sad 6-3 drubbing by the Cincinnati Reds, but ballpark management confronted him once they realized he was stretched out in a seat better than the one he had purchased.

“He was in a section he wasn’t supposed to be,” Police Commissioner Raymond Kelly said. “They asked him to leave. He wouldn’t. [A] supervisor asked him to leave. He wouldn’t. The uniformed police sergeant asked him to leave. He wouldn’t, and he was arrested as a result.”

The obstinate 30-year-old was arraigned on criminal trespass charges Thursday and released.

When Cornejo and a woman arrived at his Staten Island home afterward, he was sporting a Mets cap.

“I’m sorry but I have no comment,” Cornejo said.

He works within the 67th Precinct in Brooklyn and has been with the NYPD since 2005.

Pretty stupid. This all could have been avoided if he just went back to his seat when asked.

Comments on Fan Arrested For Moving His Seat At Ballpark

1. Corey Italiano
      May 18th, 2012 | 9:09 am

=========
      Yes, but the place was empty. Who cares if he moved up? I hate that about stadiums now.

I went to a Yankee game a few weeks ago and I moved over a section (to a section that was COMPLETELY empty) just so my view wouldn’t be obstructed by the foul pole and I got forced to move back. What’s the difference? If the person who owns the seat comes, I’d move.

2. May 18th, 2012 | 9:49 am

Corey Italiano wrote:

I agree, 100%.

But, it’s a tricky thing. If you move to a section that is completely empty, which makes sense, then you stick out like a sore thumb and that’s a flag for security to come after you. FWIW, even in the old Yankee Stadium, if you moved to a section that was empty, say, in the upper-upper deck, they would come and get you – probably because they thought you were doing drugs or having sex if you wanted to be that isolated and alone.

On the other side, with the new Yankee Stadium, and people constantly leaving their seats to go to bars, shops, the museum, etc., it’s a pain (to all parties) when you move into their seat (thinking it’s empty) and then you have to move again when they come back. It’s also annoying to the people sitting in the section as you all figure out who should stay and go, etc.

Basically, there should be a common sense rule. Don’t move until after the six inning. And, only move if it’s a blowout game. If you apply that, the odds of you taking someone else’s seat are remote. And, when it’s done like this, teams should leave the fans alone and let them move.

3. MJ Recanati
      May 18th, 2012 | 12:12 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Agree wholeheartedly.

May 18th, 2012 | 12:33 pm

Corey Italiano wrote:

Who cares if he moved up?

A security guard, a supervisor and a uniformed police officer, apparently ;)

Was this guy itching for a fight? I can dig moving around, I’ve done it a few times myself. But if I were asked to move, I moved. It never got to the point where I was threatened with an arrest.

5. May 18th, 2012 | 12:52 pm

Cop mentality. Probably figures that the law doesn’t apply to him.

6. MJ Recanati
      May 18th, 2012 | 4:49 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Cop mentality. Probably figures that the law doesn’t apply to him.

Yep. Cops piss me off.