• Cubs Cleaning House

Posted by on May 31st, 2012 · Comments (12)

Via Bob Nightengale

The Cubs are letting teams know that nearly everyone but starter Jeff Samardzija is available, two high-ranking team officials told USA TODAY Sports on condition of anonymity because of competitive reasons.

Matt Garza and Ryan Dempster are veterans starters who can fill out the top of a rotation for a contender. Shortstop Starlin Castro already is a star at 22 but can be obtained for two impact prospects. First baseman Bryan LaHair, a surprise bright spot with 10 home runs, can be cleared to make room for top prospect Anthony Rizzo.

And the Cubs gladly will chip in cash for a team to take left fielder Alfonso Soriano and the more than $45 million left on his contract.

With so many teams contending, Theo could have some fun with this white flag sale…

Comments on Cubs Cleaning House

1. sicilianlou
      May 31st, 2012 | 5:28 pm

Before I begin, I thought the Cubs were looking to extend Gaza longer?. I could be wrong.. Also, I read an aritcle in Feb of this year where Theo and Cashman were at the same dinner function which they were discussing doing business between each other now that Theo is out of Boston… . I would love to have Gaza on the Yankees. You can sandwich him between CC and Pettitte. I think Gaza could win 10-13 games in the Yankee rotation if not more.

I wouldn’t mind packaging a deal that sends HUGHES to the CUBS.. but I am not really sure I trust Cashman to make any trades with Theo. I fear he would accidently sign the papers that send Cano over to the Cubs instead of HUGHES…

2. Corey Italiano
      May 31st, 2012 | 5:57 pm

Sucks to be Samardzija

3. Corey Italiano
      May 31st, 2012 | 5:59 pm

@ sicilianlou:
      Don’t forget that Jed Hoyer is the GM.

4. sicilianlou
      May 31st, 2012 | 6:49 pm

@ Corey Italiano:

Yes.. I still think Theo as a GM.. force of habit, but thanks for correcting me!…

Any thoughts about the Cubs doing business with the Yankees?.. I would love to see this while the Redsox sit back and watch their former empolyee make the yankees a better team.. what are your thoughts?

5. Corey Italiano
      May 31st, 2012 | 7:02 pm

sicilianlou wrote:

Any thoughts about the Cubs doing business with the Yankees?

The only players I’d have interest in are Starlin Castro and Matt Garza. I doubt they’d trade Castro despite attitude concerns. The Cubs would be foolish to get rid of Garza for cheap with all of the extra contenders the 2 new wild cards bring. The price will be sky high.

6. sicilianlou
      May 31st, 2012 | 7:11 pm

Garza@ Corey Italiano:
      The only players I’d have interest in are Starlin Castro and Matt Gaza..

I like Gaza.. Castro the jury is still out IMO.. Not sure if he fits well with the Yankees and from what I read about this kid, General Joe will not be happy baby sitting this kid… As for the price. your right, it would be high, but, Gaza isnt a short term deal. Still young and has plenty of years in front of him.. What is the cost?.. could be plenty but as long as Phill Hughes is part of it, I would be all for it..

7. Corey Italiano
      May 31st, 2012 | 7:33 pm

@ sicilianlou:
      One thing Epstein is bringing to the table is that he knows the Yankees roster up and down. I’d be weary of dealing with that for a few seasons.

8. Corey Italiano
      May 31st, 2012 | 7:37 pm

@ sicilianlou:
      As for Castro, he’s a young kid who still hasn’t filled out physically. He hits for average, has pop and speed. Sometimes he loses concentration in the field and does dumb things, but we all let it pass with Swisher so what’s the big deal. He’s been gotten better in each of his 3 years and he’s still just 22. He’ll be a star.

9. MJ Recanati
      May 31st, 2012 | 8:16 pm

@ Corey Italiano:
      @ sicilianlou:
      The price to get Castro would be exorbitant and likely not worth it, given that there’s no natural place to play him.

May 31st, 2012 | 9:41 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Exactly.

11. sicilianlou
      June 2nd, 2012 | 10:50 am

Funny how Castro is no longer part of the fire sale so says Theo.. I was spekaing a buddy of mine on the North Side of Chicago and most think that Castro is available but, teams will have to ask for him and come with a tresure chest of goodies.. I agree no fit in NY, but Gaza I think is what the Yankees should be going after. Also, my buddy in chicago is in Real Estate, Dempsters home in Chicago was sold on May 25th.. He moved his family to California in the down town section…Hmm, you think a deal is already done on him?.

June 2nd, 2012 | 1:13 pm

sicilianlou wrote:

It’s possible. The Dodgers are in on him, aren’t they?