• The Melky May

Posted by on June 1st, 2012 · Comments (16)

Can you believe that Melky Cabrera had 51 hits in the month of May this season?  Yes, fifty-one.  In a month.

But, I bet that Mike Francesa still thinks that the Melkman is “not a Yankees outfielder.”

Comments on The Melky May

1. MJ Recanati
      June 1st, 2012 | 4:29 pm

It’s insane to think that Melky Cabrera — the guy with fourth outfielder skills on the Yankees — was traded to Atlanta where he was so horrible that they outright cut him and then the light went on in his head and he harnessed his talents (and even improved notably in areas where he hadn’t been good previously).

I’m happy for Melky; I always liked him. Hopefully he turns this two-year stretch of great productivity into a lifetime of security for himself.

2. June 1st, 2012 | 5:38 pm

I know this is evil. But, I am waiting for the day where it comes out that A-Rod hooked up Cano and Melky with one of his special doctors.

I am not saying that it’s true. I’m just saying that it would not shock me if it happened…

3. redbug
      June 1st, 2012 | 5:51 pm

Steve, you’d win that bet. I heard Mike Francesa say the exact thing the other day.

I always liked Melky. It started the night he took the HR away from Manny w/ Johnny Damon leading the cheer).

June 1st, 2012 | 6:19 pm

Steve L. wrote:

He isn’t… He’s a Giants outfielder :P

:D

June 1st, 2012 | 6:29 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

At least he had his “lightbulb” moment where he decided to dedicate himself to his craft.

Seems Jerome Williams went through the same thing.
      Pitching for the Uni-President Lions, Williams didn’t have much choice. At 22, he had let himself balloon to 270 pounds. That wasn’t going to cut it overseas. The team was under pressure to use its native players if the foreigners struggled. Williams looked around and saw how hard his Taiwanese teammates were working. His goal was to sign a contract to pitch in Japan and earn a little money before the dream ended, so he found his motivation.

“That’s all they do is throw, run and work out,” Williams said. “I had to get on that routine, because I want my arm to be strong every time I’m out there.”

A funny thing happened. All that throwing and working out helped Williams reconnect with his fastball. He wasn’t reaching the mid-90s as he had as a rookie with the San Francisco Giants, but he could touch 91 and 92 mph, a crucial 3-4 mph above what he could reach in his meanderings through the bush leagues.

Williams, 30, went 17-2 last year between independent ball, Triple-A and Anaheim.

Pitchers in Taiwan threw 200 pitches between starts. In the majors, most pitchers throw 30 to 40. Williams has split the difference, throwing anywhere from 80 to 100 pitches.

“I was always labeled a lazy worker, just riding my talent,” Williams said. “Once I figured it out over there, I was like, ‘Whoa, I should have done this a long time ago.’ “

As do I.

June 1st, 2012 | 6:29 pm
    7. June 1st, 2012 | 7:43 pm

Most people forget how young Melky was when he first came up. He did his maturing in the major leagues and there were some growing pains. The upside on Melky was always more than Gardner. Melky should be playing left field for the Yanks, just another name on the Cashman blunder list.

June 1st, 2012 | 9:02 pm

Joseph Maloney wrote:

The upside on Melky was always more than Gardner.

Maybe, maybe not, but the Yanks had Melky for 4 years and he didn’t show improvement. It took him hitting bottom in Atlanta and shaping up in KC for him to finally tap his potential. There are many players who were just as talented, that just didn’t pan out for any number of reasons.

9. June 2nd, 2012 | 1:22 pm

@ Raf:
      Raf, not everyone is destined to be a superstar. On occasion, the Yankees have fallen into the trap of wanting an allstar level player at every position. Melky was a solid day in day out player for the Yanks. Take 2008 out of the equation, batting at the bottom of the order he had very fine seasons in 2007 and 2009. Believe me, you will never get that type of production out of Gardner. How old was he in 2009, 24. A GM with an eye for talent has to be able to see what could be. Melky had issues, but he was still young, still maturing and he had reached the majors by 20. He did his maturing in the majors, most players do it in the minors.

June 2nd, 2012 | 1:59 pm

Brett
      08: 1.2
      09: 2.1
      10: 7.0
      11: 3.7
      12: 0.2

The Yankees already have gotten that type of production out of Gardner

11. June 3rd, 2012 | 10:06 pm

Melky is a better player. Melky is younger, has more power, and will be more durable. Gardner is already all he is ever going to be. Melky had a breakout year last season, and is building on it this season.

12. MJ Recanati
      June 4th, 2012 | 9:37 am

Joseph Maloney wrote:

So you’re saying the Yankees picked Gardner over Cabrera because they thought Gardner would be a superstar? Not likely. Gardner never profiled as anything more than a player with 3rd OF ceiling, not a perennial All-Star.

13. June 4th, 2012 | 9:54 am

If asked, I would say that the Yankees got rid of Melky to send a message to Cano.

June 4th, 2012 | 8:10 pm

@ Joseph Maloney:
      Melky is also 2 years removed from his wakeup call after his season in Atlanta. Up to this point, Gardner hasn’t needed that wakeup call. There are plenty of talented players that washed out. No reason why Melky would’ve gotten the benefit of the doubt, especially when posting numbers that were a shade over replacement level.

Gardner outpaced Cabrera in WAR from 08-10. He has posted a 7 WAR season. Cabrera has not. Even with the offense he has provided thus far, he is only at 2.8, which Gardner has exceeded twice.

15. 77yankees
      August 15th, 2012 | 2:56 pm

Steve L. wrote:

We bow to you Steve……Melky suspended 50 games for testosterone.

16. August 15th, 2012 | 3:26 pm

So, is this now a good time to discuss Cano’s back acne?