• The 2012 Subway Series – Round One

Posted by on June 8th, 2012 · Comments (16)

Who’s better right now, the Yankees or the Mets?

I don’t think either team will sweep this weekend series.  But, it’s going to be a close call on which team wins two of the three games.  It may come down to Saturday’s game.  (I’ll be there – and, yes, of course, I pulled the Hughes game.  Ugh.  But, maybe he’ll surprise me?)

What do you think?  Which team is better now?  Who has performed better this season to date?  And, what’s your prediction for this weekend series?

Comments on The 2012 Subway Series – Round One

1. MJ Recanati
      June 8th, 2012 | 8:39 am

It’s amazing what passes for “analysis” on ESPN these days. Andrew Marchand, dude, seriously, you’re awful at your craft.

Yanks win Friday and Sunday and take the series.

2. sicilianlou
      June 8th, 2012 | 9:25 am

I agree Steve, I dont think a sweep by either team.. But I dont like our chances of 2 out of three… Mets have an advantage on Friday with Johan pitching.. We havent faced him in nearly two years and Kuroda the Mets are familiar with him.. Don’t see how Hughes beats them on Saturday. It will be exciting to watch, but I will admit, I am more nervous than a Long Tail Cat in a room full of rocking chairs this weekend…

3. June 8th, 2012 | 9:44 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      Duda over Swisher get to you?

4. June 8th, 2012 | 9:48 am

@ sicilianlou:
      I’m hoping that this is an emotional charged series. It would be good for baseball and great for both teams if something sparked in this series and set off some fireworks.

Now, watch, this will be a hugs and kisses, pat on the rump, tip of the cap, mutual respect display for three days in a row. Bore-ring!

I want to see brushbacks, hard slides, maybe some ejections – leading to some blood boiling until the next time they met this season.

Play hardball and not softball.

5. MJ Recanati
      June 8th, 2012 | 9:57 am

Steve L. wrote:

Duda over Swisher get to you?

Nope, the fact that Collins was picked over Girardi because he’s more entertaining. That’s analysis? That’s how you decide between two managers to figure out who the better manager is?

sicilianlou wrote:

Don’t see how Hughes beats them on Saturday.

Agreed. I don’t like him as a home-park pitcher (although his second best start of the year (vs. KC in early May) was at home). That’s why I picked the Yanks to win tonight and Sunday.

6. June 8th, 2012 | 10:05 am

Which game is Pineda pitching?

Just kidding….

7. MJ Recanati
      June 8th, 2012 | 10:54 am

@ Steve L.:
      I don’t get it. Usually non sequiturs don’t work well as jokes.

8. June 8th, 2012 | 11:36 am

Just a reminder that we’re lucky to have Pettitte.

9. MJ Recanati
      June 8th, 2012 | 11:46 am

Steve L. wrote:

Just a reminder that we’re lucky to have Pettitte.

I’ll second that. I’ve been to two of Andy’s home starts — May 18 vs. the Reds; June 5 vs. the Rays — and both have been gems.

10. June 8th, 2012 | 1:13 pm

I just hope that he stays healthy – because, without question, the dude can still pitch.

And, it’s nice to have a quick answer when asked “Who’s your favorite Yankee on the team now?”

11. Garcia
      June 8th, 2012 | 1:29 pm

Steve L. wrote:

“Who’s your favorite Yankee on the team now?”

I love Pettitte, and consider him one of my favorites, but to act like he’s the only likable player on the Yankees is kind of silly. IMHO. Players like Jeter, Grandy, CC, Robertson, Cano, are all quite likable and very easy to root for.

Even Swish. You have something against him and I don’t really understand why. I guess him smiling and having fun doesn’t jive with your ‘hardball’ view of baseball.

I was at the Children’s Hospital of Boston (CHB) and I heard Swish’s name as one of the Yankees that gets asked for a lot by various sick children (Yankee fans), I hear he’s one to never say “no” when the Yanks are visiting Boston and him making an appearance at the CHB.

12. June 8th, 2012 | 1:44 pm

Never said he was the only one on the team that could be liked. Just said he was my fav. Doesn’t mean I don’t like Jeter, Mo, Gardner, Robertson, and some others. Just means that Andy is my fav.

13. Garcia
      June 8th, 2012 | 1:52 pm

Steve L. wrote:

I really don’t understand why Grandy and CC aren’t on your list. Those two are great teammates, they are great off the field, and are key players helping the Yanks win games.

All I know is that I’m glad Grandy and CC are on my team, they are some of the easiest players to root for.

14. MJ Recanati
      June 8th, 2012 | 2:32 pm

Garcia wrote:

Ditto. Love me some CC and Grandy!

15. June 8th, 2012 | 2:38 pm

I’d like CC more if he took better care of his body and if he didn’t have that opt out clause in his contract…which he then used for leverage to sweeten his deal. Yes, it was a SMART business decision by him and his agent. But, that stuff just rubs me the wrong way.

Granderson? My dislike for him is TOTALLY not rational. He’s a solid citizen. He comes to play everyday. He hustles. He’s intelligent. He’s an ambassador for the game.

Yet, when I see the way he chews gum and the gait of his jog/run, it just bothers me. There’s something arrogant about it.

Yeah, I know – disliking a stand-up and professional ballplayer because of the way he runs and chews gum? Hey, I’m being honest. I said it didn’t make any sense.

Oh, and I think he’s about as good defensively in CF as Jeter is at SS. But, it’s not his fault that Girardi plays him out there. I suspect that he would be more than willing to move to LF, if asked.

June 8th, 2012 | 7:41 pm

Steve L. wrote:

For better or worse, it hasn’t been that way for some 10 years…