• The Traffic Mess Leaving Saturday’s Mets-Yankees Game

Posted by on June 10th, 2012 · Comments (13)

On Saturday, I took my 10-year old daughter to Yankee Stadium.  The Yankees won.  The Mets lost.  It was a good game.

I live about 50 miles away from Yankee Stadium and the only practical way for me to get there is by car.

Heading to the game today, we left our house at 3:45 PM.  Yes, I know it was a 7:15 PM start for the game.  However, we wanted to get there early enough where we were not rushing – and we wanted to see the pre-game parachutes that were scheduled for 6:15 PM (per the Yankees – meanwhile, they really started at 6:30 PM).

My route to Yankee Stadium is pretty simple.  I take the Garden State Parkway to the Turnpike. And, then I take Route 46 into the “G.W.B.”  Once over the Bridge, I immediately get off and take local streets to the Stadium (and, I don’t mess with the Major Deegan or anything else).

Going in today, as I said, we left at 3:45 PM and zipped into the Stadium.  At 5 PM, I was locking my car and we were heading into my fav Yankee Stadium deli to get sandwiches to bring into the game. That’s reasonable – an hour fifteen, door to door, for the 50 miles.

Coming home, it was a different story.

Of course, we waited until the final out of the game to leave our seats. And, after that, my daughter made a quick stop at the restroom before we left the Stadium. But, we were back at our car, in the parking garage, at 10:25 PM.

And, that’s where it got ugly. It took us one hour and five minutes to get from our spot in the garage to the George Washington Bridge. Yes, it took us 75 minutes to drive all the way in to the game. But, it took us 65 minutes, coming home, just to get away from the Stadium and out of the Bronx.

Once we got on the Bridge, because it was then 11:30 PM, we flew from there and I got home at 12:30 AM on Sunday morning. In total, coming home, door to door, it took two hours and five minutes to cover the 50 miles – and most of that drag was due to the mess in the Bronx, on the streets, after the game, around Yankee Stadium.

Now, I get it. This is not my first rodeo. I’ve been here before – big games against the Red Sox, post-season games, etc. – and, I know there’s heavy and slow traffic after the game…especially if it’s a big crowd and a close score. (And, for the record, there were over 48,000 there on Saturday and the final score was just 4-2.)

There have been times in the past where it’s taken me just as long, if not longer, than it did to get away from Yankee Stadium and out of the Bronx. However, just because it’s happened in the past, it doesn’t take the annoyance factor out of it happening again now. And, just because it’s been this way, it’s no excuse for the Yankees and cops, not to do a better job at keeping things flowing, as best as possible, when these big game crowds empty out of the Stadium.

Or, is that asking too much?

Comments on The Traffic Mess Leaving Saturday’s Mets-Yankees Game

1. clintfsu813
      June 10th, 2012 | 7:02 am

Took me two hours to JUST get out of a parking garage after a Magic/Lakers game in Orlando in ’10

June 10th, 2012 | 7:58 am

Steve, do you take side streets back home, or do you hop on the Deegan? The sooner the CBX project is done, the better.

It blows because the only other options (TZ & Lincoln Tunnel) are too far out the way, and in the case of the Lincoln, traffic is just as bad.

3. June 10th, 2012 | 8:00 am

@ clintfsu813:
      That must have been fun.

True story. I went to this game with my wife and parents:

We had free parking in the lot that was right next to the (then old Yankee) Stadium. And, it took us an hour to get out of the garage.

I nevr parked in that one, ever, again.

4. June 10th, 2012 | 8:06 am

@ Raf:
      I take the local streets. River Ave and then I cut over at some point, depending on traffic, to get to Ed Grant Highway – which is not a highway, it’s just a street with lights. And, I get on to the GWB from there. With no traffic, it should be like a 15 minute trip. I have not been on the Deegan since 2000. Makes no sense to ever use it, if you ask me, coming off or going to, the GWB.

5. Corey
      June 10th, 2012 | 9:08 am

At least Hughes got you a win right? Didn’t expect that.

6. June 10th, 2012 | 9:16 am

@ Corey:
      He still throws too many pitches. And, there were some balls that were hit hard right at Raul. Also, the Mets suck. Their 1B is hitting a buck sixty. Their #5 hitter, Murphy, has zero homers. And, their SS, Quintwhatever, doesn’t belong in AAA much less the majors. That’s like one third of their line-up.

June 10th, 2012 | 9:19 am

@ Steve L.:
      I take the other side (University Ave) from the other direction when I don’t want to deal with the CBX after visiting my parents.

You ever cut through Manhattan? Macombs Dam Bridge to the Harlem River Drive, or take it across to Riverside Drive? I guess it’s 6 on one hand 1/2 a dozen on the other; doesn’t matter where you go, you’re going to be stuck.

June 10th, 2012 | 9:24 am

I’m slowly but surely adjusting to NJ. I’m out by Morristown and that drive isn’t fun to do in the small hours.

9. June 10th, 2012 | 10:07 am

@ Raf:
      That’s the way I go in – taking University Ave off the GWB. I did the Manhattan way once – and the GWB/University way is much, much, better – at least for me – going in.

10. June 10th, 2012 | 10:08 am

Steve L. wrote:

@ Corey:

Also, again, still, with the long balls. If there were guys on for those, it would have been ugly.

11. Garcia
      June 10th, 2012 | 10:55 am

@ Steve L.:
      I usually park on Woodycrest/Ogden, the walk is about a 10 minute walk to-and-from, then I take off on Ogden then thru Sedgewick, come out on Fordham road. From there you can cross into Manhattan, go thru 207th st, make a left onto Seamen (you’ll pass thru Seamen and Cummings, I love that), then jump on West Side Highway and to the GWB. I have never had any traffic going that route. It’s all local and not the usual route most people take.

Re. Hughes: At some point you have to give him credit, he got the win, and he keeps pitching better. What else can you ask of him? He’s not an ace, he’s probably not a solid #3, but he’s a perfect #4 or #5 — right now he is at least.

In his last 8 starts he’s allowed 2 runs 3 times, 1 run 2 times, and one of the following in the other games: 3 runs, 7 runs, and 4 runs. The Yanks are 5 – 3 in those games. I think at some point you have to accept him for what he is, and not the promise we were told 4 years ago he had in that right arm of his. And I’m ok with that.

12. June 10th, 2012 | 11:54 am

@ Garcia:
      I have a friend at work that worked on a client called Eaton and then later on a client called Cummings. In our time keeping system, at that time, all clients had three letter codes. So, for a time, when he was working on both, he used to charge his time to EAT CUM. True story.

Thanks for the tip on the alternate route.

I still think Hughes, lately, is the product of who he’s facing, where, and some at’em balls. But, maybe I am wrong?

Again, I still see too many pitches thrown, and too many homeruns. (That shot by Wright was a bomb. And, com’on, giving one up to Quintwhatever? Really? BTW, I really thought A-Rod crushed that ball – and it ended up on the track for an out. That’s still a bad sign.) In any event, if Hughes can give them 5 to 6 innings a start and keep his ERA around four and change, yes, that’s OK for a #5 starter. But, it’s far from “Wonder Phil!”

13. Garcia
      June 10th, 2012 | 1:16 pm

Steve L. wrote:

haha, that’s great.

Oh…wait…that’s the same charge code for the baseball groupies. ;-)