• Happy Father’s Day

Posted by on June 17th, 2012 · Comments (8)

Just as baseball and apple pie are staples of America, statistics and fathers are the hemoglobin of baseball. So, since today is Father’s Day (really, it is, Hallmark says so!), I want to wish all the fathers out there a Happy Father’s Day!

Comments on Happy Father’s Day

1. Garcia
      June 17th, 2012 | 11:04 am

“Happy Father’s Day, Steve.”

- Brian Cashman

2. Scout
      June 17th, 2012 | 8:29 pm

I’ve never been able to watch that scene in Field of Dreams without tearing up…

June 17th, 2012 | 8:42 pm

Happy Father’s Day!

Spent the day in Cooperstown yesterday for the HOF Classic. Ex Yankees in attendance;

Phil Niekro
      Dennis Rassmussen
      Brian Fisher
      Jesse Barfield
      Brian Boehringer
      CJ Nitkowski

Retirement has been kind to Barfield, he had a big ol belly. Not that I was expecting him to be launching lasers from the OF, but he was throwing like an old man :)

Blyleven & Niekro pitched a couple of innings, Russ Ortiz was playing 2b. Dante Bichette was there, he pitched an inning too. Tony Perez and Ozzie Smith got some field time. Eddie Murray was signing autographs. Howard Johnson was slim and trim. Delmon Young, holy cow he lost a lot of weight (diabetes related, I suppose). I didn’t recognize him at first.

4. June 18th, 2012 | 8:56 am

@ Scout:
      Me too.

@ Raf:
      Nice – must have been fun! And, I think you mean Dmitri – who tried to make a comeback this year. Was it very crowded in Cooperstown this weekend?

June 18th, 2012 | 2:54 pm

@ Steve L.:
      Yes, it was Dimitri. Thanks :)

There was a decent sized crowd, but it wasn’t as big as induction weekend. The game didn’t sell out. It was pretty hot out. All in all, it was a pretty good time.

6. June 18th, 2012 | 3:46 pm

Nice. You just drive up for the day, or, stay over?

June 18th, 2012 | 5:44 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Nice. You just drive up for the day, or, stay over?

We drove up Friday night, there was supposed to be a bunch of events that were supposed to happen leading up to the game. One of my teammates is a HoF member and told me about an autograph session. as well as a parade.

We never made the autograph session, the parade was kinda cool. Would’ve been better had the players all not been holed up on the trolley. I mean, c’mon, can’t walk from the HoF to Doubleday field? :P

We stayed at the Aalsmeer, $80 a night (it was still the offseason). Decent facility, nothing spectacular. I’d stay there again.

Milled around the HoF a bit, took in the game, and left after getting a bite to eat (and watching the rest of the Yankees game). Met up with some college buddies there, which was also fun.

8. June 18th, 2012 | 5:48 pm

Sounds like fun! It’s been two years since I have been there. I hope to get up there again by 2015.