• The Yankees Love June & Inter-League Games

Posted by on June 18th, 2012 · Comments (8)
    • The New York Yankees are 13-2 (so far) this month and that includes going 9-0 in their inter-league games (to date) this June.
    • Last year, in June, the Yankees went 18-8 and that included going 9-4 against the National League.
    • In June of 2010, the Yankees went 16-10 and that included going 10-5 against the National League.
    • In June of 2009, the Yankees went 15-11 and that included going 9-6 against the National League.
    • In June of 2008, the Yankees went 16-12 and that included going 10-5 against the National League.

Anyone else seeing a pattern here?

Comments on The Yankees Love June & Inter-League Games

1. Scout
      June 18th, 2012 | 9:00 am

Yes: the Yankees do better with the non-major-league portion of their schedule.

2. clintfsu813
      June 18th, 2012 | 9:07 am

No way the Yanks just swept a first place team in their house. That’s just not what they do….

3. June 18th, 2012 | 10:15 am

I don’t know.
      Are the Yankees cleaning up with the NL every June? Yes.
      Is it because the NL is weak? I dunno.
      Maybe, sometimes, yes, the NL teams have not always been the toughest foes. But, that’s not across the board, in the NL teams the Yankees are facing.

Maybe it’s scouting? Maybe – and I am just thinking out loud and not claiming this to be true – just maybe the NL teams don’t know the Yankees as well as the AL teams know them and that favors the Yankees pitchers and hitters?

MAYBE that’s an element of it. But, I would not swear to it.

PERHAPS, and this is just another wild off the cuff suggestion, the N.L. allows to the Yankees to get into their head (like the Twins do) and that’s a part of it? I dunno…

But, it can’t all be the result of the N.L. being the weaker league. Can it?

4. Evan3457
      June 18th, 2012 | 10:25 am

The NL is weaker, but that didn’t help the Jays against the Nats, the Red Sox against the Nats, or the Rays against the Mets.

If the Yanks’ pattern holds, they’ll be going 1-5 vs. the Braves and Mets this week. I don’t think that’ll happen, but both teams will be gunning for revenge for being swept recently. 2-4 is not outlandish, especially considering the Yanks face Dickey on Saturday.

5. clintfsu813
      June 18th, 2012 | 1:17 pm

I just don’t see them doing that poor against the Braves this week. Especially not tonight. CC is due for a strong outing, and no way sorry ass Minor owns us a second time within a week.
      We’ll see about the Mets. I feel like our offense is kinda due for a couple of 8-10 run games.
      FYI, I’ll be at CITI on Friday. It’ll be my first time seeing Andy in person. So stoked!

6. #15
      June 18th, 2012 | 2:32 pm

This has been a great run against teams that, otherwise, have been playing very well, including against AL East competition. I think somewhere along the line I might have read, on this site, that there was some thought we had a tough stretch on the horizon a few weeks ago. Take back that 9th inning homer off of Wade against LAAAAA in late May and this run really looks amazing.

We’ve gotten way more out of our bench than could have been hoped for, and our front 5 may have had one of the best runs in the past 20+ years for Yankee starters. Maybe that’s something that can be checked via stats…. “Best cumulative performance by Yankee starters over 21 or 28 days.”

There is probably something to the scouting thing… in both directions. Seems like the opposition knows how to pitch A-Rod. Damn he looks lost most of the time.

7. MJ Recanati
      June 18th, 2012 | 3:14 pm

Steve L. wrote:

If true, wouldn’t it run both ways?

8. June 18th, 2012 | 3:44 pm

Yeah, I know. That’s why it’s probably not it…