• Pitchers Using Pine Tar

Posted by on June 20th, 2012 · Comments (7)

Via the Tampa Tribune -

For the second time in less than four weeks, Tampa Bay Rays manager Joe Maddon called out an opposing manager for an act he thought crossed the line of sportsmanship.

Maddon took aim at Washington Nationals manager Davey Johnson after Johnson asked the umpires to check Joel Peralta’s glove and hat for a foreign substance during the eighth inning of Tuesday’s 5-4 Rays victory at Nationals Park.

The umpires did and found what home plate umpire and crew chief Tim Tschida called “a significant amount of pine tar” inside Peralta’s glove.

Peralta, who spent part of the 2010 season with the Nationals, was ejected from the game will face a suspension that could be as long as 10 games.

Maddon was angry over the incident after the game. He didn’t deny that Peralta had pine tar on his glove but implied that using pine tar is a common practice among pitchers.

“I promise you one thing – you’re going to see brand new gloves throughout the major leagues starting (Wednesday) with pitchers on every particular major league ball club, and furthermore, if you want a reaction to the entire event, I would go talk to the National players and see what they think,” Maddon said, indicating Washington players, particularly pitchers, would be upset that their possible secret to success was uncovered thanks to their boss.

Maddon didn’t stop there.

As he did when he called out Boston manager Bobby Valentine for ordering Franklin Morales to hit Luke Scott with a pitch during the ninth inning of a game May 25 in Boston, Maddon took aim at Johnson.

“It’s kind of a common practice that people have done this for years,” Maddon said. “To point one guy out because he had pitched here a couple of years it’s probably common knowledge based on that.

“So I thought it was a real cowardly – and I’ve used that word twice this year – it was kind of a (wimpy) move to go out there and do that under those circumstances. I like the word (wimpy) right there.”

O.K., so, sunscreen combined with rosin is allowed. But, not pine tar?

I know, I know…and I get it. We cannot allow pitchers to apply something to baseballs in any manner. But, it just seems strange to not allow one thing when there are other things, with the same effect, that don’t get flagged.

Comments on Pitchers Using Pine Tar

1. MJ Recanati
      June 20th, 2012 | 10:31 am

Joe Maddon is getting more and more whiny.

2. clintfsu813
      June 20th, 2012 | 11:46 am

Get that guy a bib and a pacifier

3. June 20th, 2012 | 12:29 pm

I suspect that Maddon is like any excellent baseball manager.

Anyone else see the HBO Inside Sports feature on him a while back? He doesn’t seem like a bad guy.

4. MJ Recanati
      June 20th, 2012 | 1:06 pm

Steve L. wrote:

I suspect that Maddon is like any excellent baseball manager.You love him when he is managing your team and hate him when he is managing one of your rivals.

Jim Leyland’s a good manager and I don’t hate him. I only hate the pompous asses that think they’re touched by the finger of God, imparting wisdom every time they open their mouths, and thinking it’s all about them.

5. June 20th, 2012 | 1:13 pm

I don’t think that Leyland has ever done a job like the one Maddon did with Tampa.

Leyland is like Torre. He’s good when he has the horses.

6. MJ Recanati
      June 20th, 2012 | 1:28 pm

@ Steve L.:
      No manager has ever done a thing without the horses. Maddon is no different than anyone else. The proof is simply in the fact that he lost 101 and 96 games, respectively, in the 2006 and 2007 seasons in Tampa. When they got better players — it’s a miracle! — they stopped losing that many games.

There’s nothing that Maddon has done that makes him any less conventional than anyone else in the game. Other than wearing hipster glasses, of course.

7. G.I. Joey
      June 20th, 2012 | 5:17 pm

Mr. Magoo is a clown bro.