• Breaking News: Kei Igawa Not Invited To Yankees Old-Timer’s Game

Posted by on June 25th, 2012 · Comments (6)

Then again, neither was Roger Clemens.

Comments on Breaking News: Kei Igawa Not Invited To Yankees Old-Timer’s Game

1. MJ Recanati
      June 25th, 2012 | 4:04 pm

Eventually Roger will be invited back.

I’m happy to see Tanyon Sturtze on the invite list. He sucked but I’ll never forget how he handled himself during that July 2004 brawl with the Red Sox. He was a beast and I’ve always liked him ever since.

Don’t really see why Cecil Fielder was invited. He bitched and moaned about being on the team so I don’t see why they want to honor a reluctant ex-Yankee. Screw that guy.

June 25th, 2012 | 5:29 pm

Igawa’s pitching for the Kintetsu Buffaloes, I don’t think he’d be able to make it even if he wanted :D

MJ Recanati wrote:

I don’t know about that, it was more about leverage than anything else. He and Hayes didn’t opt out even though they had the option to do so. Even after Stanley was reacquired, Fielder still got the majority of AB’s, IIRC.

3. clintfsu813
      June 25th, 2012 | 5:45 pm

Always love that the widows get invited. Aaron Small too. No Chacon tho?

4. redbug
      June 25th, 2012 | 6:08 pm

@ clintfsu813:

I agree w/ you…great to see the widows, Aaron Small. I assume Shawn Chacon wasn’t invited because of the fight w/ the Astros’ GM (effectively ending his career). But w/o Small and Chacon, the Yanks wouldn’t have made the PS in ’05. Chacon was 7-3 in the regular season, and won his only PS game giving up only 2 runs vs the Angels. He should be invited to the Old Timers Game.

5. MJ Recanati
      June 25th, 2012 | 9:25 pm

Raf wrote:

I don’t remember the specifics but I do recall that Fielder remained on the Yanks for the ’97 season but always grumbled about playing time and wanting out.

6. June 25th, 2012 | 11:39 pm

The worst invite is Blomberg. He made no effort whatsoever when he was with the Yankees. He ran the bases like a drunk, he was the worst fielder I ever saw. Never once put in any extra effort to improve. In 1974, Lou Piniella would report to Shea 3 hours earlier than he had to so Bill Virdon could work with him on his outfield skills. Blomberg was offered the same opportunity but he refused (he stood on the agreement between baseball and the players association concerning required reporting time). Bill White was asked by the Yanks after the 71 season to work with Ron prior to the start of the 1972 season on his defensive skills. In an early season game in 72, Blomberg stood glued to his position as a ball bounced a few feet to his right, Bill White comment to Frank Messer on the fiasco, “there is no way Blomberg can play first with the attitude he has”. I’ll tell one other story, the Yankees had a lead in the 9th, early July (believe it was 73), runner on 1st no one out for Baltimore, ball is bunted to Blomberg who misplayed it, the Yankees went on to lose the game. After the game Earl Weaver (Baltimore manager) was asked about the play, he indicated seeing Blomberg playing a position was like having an extra man on his team. There were articles at the time about how disliked he was among other Yankee players.