• Paul O’Neill On Nick Swisher’s Homerun Act

Posted by on June 26th, 2012 · Comments (29)

The question: Should teams be bothered by Nick Swisher’s excitement level when he homers off them?

And, here and here is Paul O’Neill’s answer:

“I can see how it can bother some people. But people who play with him understand it’s just him – But from the other side of the dugout, I can see how it can bother people.”

Amen, Paulie. Amen.

Let the bush league players act like that…’cause it’s just not the Yankees way.

Comments on Paul O’Neill On Nick Swisher’s Homerun Act

1. clintfsu813
      June 26th, 2012 | 4:54 pm

And here’s how much I’m sure the Yankees give a crap about how the other players feel…………….

Keep it up Nick. It’s refreshing to watch a guy clearly have fun playing the game of baseball.

2. June 26th, 2012 | 4:56 pm

@ clintfsu813:
      Derek Jeter has fun playing the game without showing up the other team.

3. clintfsu813
      June 26th, 2012 | 5:00 pm

Jeter may enjoy playing the right way, but do we know he has as much “fun” as Nick does? I’m not sure anyone does.

4. MJ Recanati
      June 26th, 2012 | 5:04 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Let the bush league players act like that…’cause it’s just not the Yankees way.

Baloney. Reggie Jackson anyone? Joba Chamberlain? Roger Clemens?

The notion that the Yankees have this buttoned-up, “we honor the game” code is narrative. Every single team has some players that play the game with outward enthusiasm or brashness and some players that play without ever showing their emotion.

Part of why people hate Yankees fans is that some among us think our shit doesn’t stink, that we do things “better” than the rest.

5. MJ Recanati
      June 26th, 2012 | 5:07 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Derek Jeter has fun playing the game without showing up the other team.

clintfsu813 wrote:

Jeter may enjoy playing the right way,

And who said that Jeter’s is the “right” way? Saying it over and over again doesn’t make it true since “right” is subjective.

6. MJ Recanati
      June 26th, 2012 | 5:16 pm

FYI – I agree that I can see why Swisher’s smiling as he runs the bases could serve to irritate the opposition.

But since O’Neill never made any judgments, my disagreement lies in the assumption that Swisher’s is the “wrong” way and that anything to the contrary would represent the “right” way.

7. Corey
      June 26th, 2012 | 5:23 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Agreed.

8. Garcia
      June 26th, 2012 | 5:38 pm

I remember being surprised at how much Red Sox fans hated O’Neill’s antics, his constant fighting with the umpires, with himself, or with the gatorade cooler. Yet you love O’Neill.

So here’s the thing that I don’t get, Swish smiles while rounding the bases, and that’s somehow a bad thing. Really? Or is it the shit eating grin on his face that gets people all riled up? I mean…that’s his grin, he doesn’t just do it when he hits a homerun, he does it all the time, so maybe that’s just his grin — is that reason enough to condemn him?

He’s not one to stand in the batter’s box and watch his homeruns sail over the wall, thereby showing up the opposing pitcher. So I don’t understand his homerun act, but then again…maybe I’m just blind to his antics cause he plays for the Yankees.

I see him having fun inside the dugout, not dancing at 3rd, or anywhere else on the field. I didn’t like Joba’s antics. Never was a big fan of a player like Mondesi, or Sheffield. So I guess I’m confused at all the Swish hate.

But whateva…he doesn’t shit small gold coins, so not everyone is supposed to like him.

June 26th, 2012 | 5:45 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

No, no it isn’t. I can’t remember Paul O’Neill ever showing emotion, throwing temper tantrums a spoiled toddler would be proud of, or beatingupaurinalinfrustration.

Steve L. wrote:

Derek Jeter has fun playing the game without showing up the other team.

Mocking Nomar during the all-star game doesn’t count? All in good fun, right?

Besides
      Paul O’Neill tweeted:

But people who play with him understand it’s just him …

So eff everyone else. Just like we accepted Sweet Lou’s & O’Neill’s temper tantrums, Billy Martin’s drunken psycho rages, David Wells’ joie de vivre, Rickey’s snatch catch, Pascual Perez’s antics, so on and so forth.

June 26th, 2012 | 5:46 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

No, no it isn’t. I mean, I can’t remember Paul O’Neill ever showing emotion, throwing temper tantrums a spoiled toddler would be proud of, or takingabattoaurinalinfrustration. :P

Steve L. wrote:

Derek Jeter has fun playing the game without showing up the other team.

Mocking Nomar during the all-star game doesn’t count? All in good fun, right?

Besides

Paul O’Neill tweeted:

But people who play with him understand it’s just him …

June 26th, 2012 | 5:51 pm

duplicate comment… weird

12. redbug
      June 26th, 2012 | 6:18 pm

@ MJ Recanati:Baloney. Reggie Jackson anyone? Joba Chamberlain? Roger Clemens?

I couldn’t stand their acts. There’s no need to show-up the opposition.

Swisher, though, is somewhat different in my mind. As Garcia said, “He’s not one to stand in the batter’s box and watch his homeruns sail over the wall, thereby showing up the opposing pitcher.” Reggie, Soriano did that. Soriano did that when it turned out not to be a HR and missed a double a couple of times. Torre should’ve taken him off the field.

Swisher just seems like a happy goofball to me. I think he’s not showing the pitcher up. Rather, he’s showing his joy in playing the game (and making millions doing it).

That said, current players voted him as one of the most disliked players in the game. His smiling is being written about. If he cared, and he probably should, he’d knock it off.

13. clintfsu813
      June 26th, 2012 | 6:26 pm

@redbug
      No..no he shouldn’t.

June 26th, 2012 | 6:48 pm
    15. Corey
      June 26th, 2012 | 6:59 pm

Raf wrote:

Prince Fielder

I loved that.

June 26th, 2012 | 7:01 pm

Carlos Guillen’s “FU” to Jared Weaver was epic…

I enjoy when people bitch about showboating and emotions. Shows that their head is anywhere but in the game. Makes them that much easier to beat.

17. clintfsu813
      June 26th, 2012 | 8:27 pm

Weaver was kind of a bitch there.

18. June 26th, 2012 | 10:51 pm

True story.

I had a phone call with someone from the Yankees today. They called me. The wanted some input because I have been a full season ticket holder since 2001.

Anyway, I think they do a great job, overall, sans the prices. The Stadium is cleaner, the staff is nicer, etc. And, I told him that stuff. But, since he asked, I also told him that the Yankees could still learn some things from other teams…if they want to try and be even better yet…more fan friendly.

For example, some times during the year, on Sundays, I think, the Mets let kids run the bases after the game. Now, I have seen this in the minors, and I can tell you that kids love doing this – my own included.

The Yankees have never done this – but, this year, they tried something new. They picked like 3 games and told full season ticket holders “Pick one of these three games. Only one game per full season ticket holder. Your pick will go into a lotto for that game. If you get picked, you can have one kid run the bases. That’s it. And, only a few will be selected.”

So, it’s a million to one shot, sort of…

I used this as an example of things they could do better. I told him that, if the Mets let any kid in the park run the bases that day, how hard can it be? Why make it like trying to get an audience with the Pope to have your kid run the bases at Yankee Stadium?

Their answer: “We are the Yankees, after all. We’re not some minor league operation. You will never see a hot dog race at Yankee Stadium.”

I really had to bite my tongue to keep myself from replying with “Oh, does that mean Swisher and Soriano won’t be squaring off in a 100-yard dash?”

19. JeremyM
      June 27th, 2012 | 12:05 am

I think you gave them good feedback Steve, and it’s kind of sad they just swatted it away like that. Why ask if they don’t want your input? At the least they could bring it forward to whomever else is working on this project for their opinion on it. Frankly, I don’t see a difference between the lottery and letting all kids run the bases in terms of “minor league operations” so I don’t understand their response to you.

It reminds me of where I work, where they ask for suggestions and never take them. Ever. But they spend big bucks on these elaborate surveys to show they are listening….

June 27th, 2012 | 12:29 am

Thanks Steve for pointing out how ridiculous the Yankees organization can be sometimes…

21. MJ Recanati
      June 27th, 2012 | 9:18 am

JeremyM wrote:

My employer does that too. It’s pointless but what’s even more frustrating is that they make their annual surveys compulsory. Why force me to do something that you’re not interested in?

22. G.I. Joey
      June 27th, 2012 | 10:09 am

Steve L. wrote:

@ clintfsu813:
      Derek Jeter has fun playing the game without showing up the other team.

Does he really have that much fun at this point? Besides him always chopping it up with opposing players at 2nd base, there is almost no indication this guy is having fun.

23. June 27th, 2012 | 10:18 am

@ G.I. Joey:
      If he wasn’t having fun, he wouldn’t be out there.

24. clintfsu813
      June 27th, 2012 | 11:31 am

@ G.I. Joey:
      I agree with Steve. Jeter may not show it as much as Swish, but he wouldn’t do it if he wasn’t having fun.

25. MJ Recanati
      June 27th, 2012 | 12:19 pm

Steve L. wrote:

If he wasn’t having fun, he wouldn’t be out there.

You may be right but you can’t presume to know that. One individual’s motivations to keep on playing after so many years may be different from another’s.

26. clintfsu813
      June 27th, 2012 | 2:00 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      At this point its either gotta be for fun or competitive spirit or both. Cant be about the money any longer, lol.

27. G.I. Joey
      June 27th, 2012 | 2:20 pm

@ clintfsu813:
      Well if it wasn’t about the money to some degree his agent shouldn’t have been so insulted by Cashman’s initial offer when they were negotiating his latest contract. I suppose the dollar amount at this point only serves the ego and not the wallet.

28. G.I. Joey
      June 27th, 2012 | 2:23 pm

Ultimately MJ is correct that we can’t know his motivations. Although now that I think about it, if he truly wants to become an owner as he has stated, he is going to need all loot he can get.

29. MJ Recanati