• The Sing Happy Birthday To Derek Jeter Project

Posted by on June 26th, 2012 · Comments (31)

How cool would it be if the Yankee Stadium crowd sang “Happy Birthday” to Derek Jeter before his first At Bat this evening?

Spread the word.

Or, spread this word – either way will work.

Comments on The Sing Happy Birthday To Derek Jeter Project

1. clintfsu813
      June 26th, 2012 | 10:06 am

It’d be really cool. Would it set some kind of precedent though? Would the fans in turn need to sing to Arod, Cano, Pettitte, Rivera…etc. if their Birthdays were between April and November?

2. Garcia
      June 26th, 2012 | 10:17 am

@ clintfsu813:
      Why not? Seems cool, embarrassing, and humbling all at the same time.

I get uncomfortable when someone sets me up like that when I’m eating at a restaurant on my birthday. I can’t imagine what it would be like having 40K+ people doing that in unison. I would certainly laugh my ass off.

3. June 26th, 2012 | 10:19 am

@ clintfsu813: When they’re the Captain, we can sing on their birthday too. :-)

4. clintfsu813
      June 26th, 2012 | 10:20 am

@ Garcia:
      Oh I definitely think it’d be cool to do tonight to Jeter. I was just thinking out loud about would the fans then be compelled to do it more. Would everyone be ok with the fans doing a birthday song 5-10 times a year?

5. clintfsu813
      June 26th, 2012 | 10:21 am

@ Steve L.:
      I hear ya. Jeter would be the type to not want the extra attention though. Mind you I am definitely for this, just thinking out loud.

6. June 26th, 2012 | 10:22 am

Garcia wrote:

I can’t imagine what it would be like having 40K+ people doing that in unison.

It would be huge. That’s why I am hoping that it happens. It would become a Yankee Stadium moment – right up there with the fans chanting Paul O’Neill during the 2001 World Series…

7. June 26th, 2012 | 10:23 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

@ Steve L.:
      I hear ya. Jeter would be the type to not want the extra attention though.

More the reason to do it – since it’s something that he would never ask for…it’s the perfect birthday present :-)

8. clintfsu813
      June 26th, 2012 | 10:25 am

@ Steve L.:
      And if you were the leader of the charge? Man, the ego boost that would engulf this blog…

9. June 26th, 2012 | 10:27 am

@ clintfsu813:
      LOL. I just want to see it happen. I don’t care who gets the credit.
      Besides, I am nobody and I like it that way :-)

10. Garcia
      June 26th, 2012 | 10:27 am

@ Steve L.:
      Yeah I was at that game, that was awesome.

I wonder if people will be able to stay on key. I doubt it actually. The video-board should offer an assist here, but I doubt that will happen. If they can do it like when they sing ‘take me out to the ballgame’ then that would make for a much better production.

11. June 26th, 2012 | 10:28 am

But, I will say this – this will die on the vine unless people start RT’ing it and get the word out!

12. June 26th, 2012 | 10:30 am

Garcia wrote:

I thought about that. But, I thought it would be more sincere to have this be organic.

Hey, if the fans can do Reg-gie Reg-gie chants, and, Hip-Hip-Jorge!, then they should be able to handle one singing of Happy Birthday on the spot…

13. clintfsu813
      June 26th, 2012 | 10:39 am

So, I’m guessing you would need the Yanks FO to get involved here. Gonna need somebody to orchestrate when to do it.

14. June 26th, 2012 | 10:52 am

Maybe not. The F.O. doesn’t do roll call and that happens every night at the Stadium.

You just need a group of five very loud people, or more, to kick this off tonight.

15. clintfsu813
      June 26th, 2012 | 10:59 am

That’s true. Maybe you wanna drop a tweet to Bald Vinny then. He could get the whole Bleacher Section going. That would probably get it going stadium wide.

June 26th, 2012 | 12:57 pm

Steve L. wrote:

That’s the first thing I thought of when I saw this entry.

17. MJ Recanati
      June 26th, 2012 | 1:08 pm

Raf wrote:

That’s the first thing I thought of when I saw this entry.

Except wasn’t that spontaneous? If people sing “Happy Birthday” to Jeter tonight, it would’ve been planned via Twitter, blogs, etc.

18. June 26th, 2012 | 1:38 pm

Is there a difference if one person sitting in the Stadium gets the idea and starts it off versus one person with a blog getting the idea and then asking others at the Stadium to start it off?

Both started with an idea in a fan’s head.

19. Garcia
      June 26th, 2012 | 2:21 pm

@ Steve L.:

I think that’s his point.

20. MJ Recanati
      June 26th, 2012 | 2:41 pm

Garcia wrote:

I think MJ means how instant it all happens, if you have an epiphany at your seat, inside Yankee stadium, then it’s all way more organic. This is all premeditated. I think that’s his point.

Exactly. Sorry if I didn’t express it well enough but Garcia got what I meant.

21. June 26th, 2012 | 3:10 pm

You guys don’t think that the person (or party) who started the Paul O’Neill chant in 2001 thought about it way in advance of attending the game that night?

22. MJ Recanati
      June 26th, 2012 | 3:28 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Nope. Moreover, even if he or she did, there was no efficient means by which to communicate that thought in the same way that Twitter, Facebook, or a blog can communicate that thought today.

Something that’s been seen by countless people on Twitter AND discussed for the past five hours on this blog is very clearly not a spontaneous act.

Mind you, I’m not judging one to be better than the other, merely pointing out the difference.

23. June 26th, 2012 | 3:48 pm

I don’t think the O’Neill chant was spontaneous. I truly believe that the people who started it thought for days, if not weeks, in advance, about the fact that was probably his last game and they wanted to salute him in some manner. And, when they started to chant his name, it took off at the Stadium.

It’s not that hard to do. I was started a Reg-gie, Reg-gie chant at the old Stadium. I was the first one to say it…and within a minute the entire Stadium was chanting it.

All it takes is a loud voice and having the timing to pick the right spot to get it going…

24. MJ Recanati
      June 26th, 2012 | 3:58 pm

Steve L. wrote:

They couldn’t have known for weeks that Game 5 was his last game at home because there was no way of knowing that the Yankees would even survive the 2001 ALDS vs. the A’s, let alone win Games 3 or 4 of the WS that year.

Anyway, who gives a crap whether the O’Neill chant was spontaneous or not. Clearly the Jeter one isn’t. Nothing wrong with that.

25. Garcia
      June 26th, 2012 | 4:15 pm

I once tried to start a “FU Felix Heredia” chant, and within a minute I was being escorted out of Yankee stadium. Not all random chants are created equal, booming voice or not.

26. MJ Recanati
      June 26th, 2012 | 4:16 pm

Garcia wrote:

HAHAHAHAHA, that’s hilarious!

Felix Heredia…jeez…that takes us back a few years. That guy stunk something awful.

27. Corey
      June 26th, 2012 | 6:08 pm

If’ll help him get a hit, why not. He sure needs them. Where are the posts about how Jeter’s start is a mirage and he might be toast?

Jeter in his last 9 G, 44 PA: .195/.250/.268/.518
      Jeter in his last 21 G, 99PA: .220/.276/.308/.583
      Jeter in his last 45 G, 209 PA: .245/.303/.297/.600 (may 5-)

June 26th, 2012 | 7:36 pm

I think I heard a happy birthday chant, but that’s about it.

29. June 26th, 2012 | 10:55 pm

Yup. I heard it too.
      Instead of “Der-rick, Gee-ter” it was “Haaa-pee, Birth-day.”
      Pretty cool try.

30. Evan3457
      June 26th, 2012 | 11:04 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Yup. I heard it too.
      Instead of “Der-rick, Gee-ter” it was “Haaa-pee, Birth-day.”
      Pretty cool try.

Yeah, I went to the game tonight, and that’s what the Creatures did.
      Lots of Happy Birthday Derek signs in the crowd; at least a dozen.

June 27th, 2012 | 12:36 am

Better than nothing, I suppose :)