• The Rapada-Robertson Girardi Gaffe

Posted by on June 29th, 2012 · Comments (16)

This is getting messy.

It stinks to lose a game when you have a 2-run lead and only need three outs to go – especially after your starter gives you a solid effort in a low scoring game.  But, for some reason, this one seems to sting even more than usual.  Why is  that?

Comments on The Rapada-Robertson Girardi Gaffe

1. Evan3457
      June 29th, 2012 | 8:06 am

Because they very likely win it if Rapada, a major league pitcher, takes a fairly routine grounder back to the box, and makes an accurate throw to second to start a 1-6-3 DP. That’s why.

2. June 29th, 2012 | 9:09 am

Yeah, I think that’s part of the sting factor here…that it was an error and then the big blast.

3. Evan3457
      June 29th, 2012 | 9:17 am

Actually, in thinking back on the loss last night…

Not to mention the Yanks customary struggles with RISP.

There’s a definite possibility things could get ugly by Sunday night.

4. MJ Recanati
      June 29th, 2012 | 9:40 am

Evan3457 wrote:

The White Sox were killing Nova all night long, 4 or 5 shots to deep center, where Granderson had to turn and go back and get the ball, multiple line drives caught, including the big double play liner to Cano that got Nova out of the jam in the 4th, and 1 or 2 hard hit grounders right at people. Not to mention the Yanks customary struggles with RISP.It’s still a brutal loss, but they probably should’ve been down about 6-3 before the 9th. Added to the fact that the entire AL East lost last night, and I’m a little less down about it.

I can vouch for that, as I was at the game. Nova turned in another one of his usual performances where he gives up monster line drives but somehow lives to tell the tale. Nova continues to amaze me with his ability to look the better pitcher than he really is. Great for the team, not very encouraging long term however.

Evan3457 wrote:

I’m more down about blowing the game with Warren due to go tonight, though. This could become a 2-game losing streak against the “weak” part of the White Sox rotation, with Peavy vs. Kuroda on Saturday, and Floyd vs. Hughes in the day and the heat on Sunday.There’s a definite possibility things could get ugly by Sunday night.

On paper it does seem to be shaping up as a series loss. That being said, the White Sox are an offensively inconsistent team and are very much prone to being too aggressive at the plate. I figure we find a way to get a split in the series.

5. June 29th, 2012 | 10:02 am

Even if the Yankees do go into a mini-slump, who in the AL East is going to beat them?

Toronto and Baltimore are probably not ready yet. Boston has a shitload of problems. Tampa Bay can’t hit for shit.

At this point, it seems like the Yankees would really have to screw the pooch not to finish first.

6. Evan3457
      June 29th, 2012 | 11:04 am

Boston is red-hot, and if they all get healthy at the same time, their rotation will be:

Lester-Beckett-Buchholz-Morales-Dubrount.

Combine that with their current offense, with Crawford and Ellsbury due back, and with Gonzalez not being capable of going the whole year as he has so far, and that scares the carp out of me.

You’re the resident Eeyore here, the Sox don’t worry you?

7. Evan3457
      June 29th, 2012 | 11:10 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

In that case, I wish Freddy was going against them and not Tampa. His assortment of junk is perfect for teams like that.

8. June 29th, 2012 | 11:16 am

Evan3457 wrote:

You’re the resident Eeyore here, the Sox don’t worry you?

I know the Sox have won 11 of 15. But, a lot of that was against the Cubs and Marlins (who are in a funk). And, the Yankees still have a 6.5 game lead on them.

9. LMJ229
      June 29th, 2012 | 11:39 am

Besides the reasons listed above I think last nights game stung a bit more due to the circumstances of the day before. With CC and Petitte going down a couple of wins could have been a big boost to the teams morale and given them the confidence that they could continue to win without them. Now if they go into a mini slump it could become a real problem. I know these guys are pros but they are also human so some level of doubt can slip in.

10. LMJ229
      June 29th, 2012 | 11:46 am

Also it’s disheartening to see Robertson not step up again. I really thought Robertson would be the heir apparent to Mariano but now I’m starting to doubt that. I know it’s a very small sampling but he has spit the bit 2 out of 3 times so far and if I remember correctly his lone save was adventurous.

11. MJ Recanati
      June 29th, 2012 | 1:44 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

No argument from me. Guess they don’t want to mess up the Kuroda/Hughes schedule.

12. MJ Recanati
      June 29th, 2012 | 1:48 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

People, please, stop with this nonsense. Rivera is a once-in-a-lifetime pitcher. There is no heir apparent to a singular talent like Rivera.

The person that replaces Rivera is simply the guy that fills his role. He can never be replaced. Robertson, like Soriano, Chamberlain, or anyone else is just a fungible relief pitcher that grows on trees. It doesn’t matter who the person is.

13. LMJ229
      June 29th, 2012 | 5:57 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      I’ve been a Yankees fan and a baseball fan for long enough to know that no one (NO ONE!) can replace Mariano. But someone has to assume his role and I had hoped – like the Yankees did – that Robertson would be that guy. I never suggested that Robertson would even come close to Mariano. Why do you always have to be so damn condescending?

14. redbug
      June 29th, 2012 | 5:58 pm

@ MJ Recanati:

100% agree. There will never be another Mo. Period.

15. LMJ229
      June 29th, 2012 | 6:01 pm

So it’s my turn to fall off the chair now :)

16. KPOcala
      June 29th, 2012 | 7:28 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Evan3457 wrote:
      Evan3457 wrote:

“lives to tell the tale”. Sounds like some Holy Grail there! I have a feeling that Nova is one of those guys on the cusp of ‘figuring it out’ and having very productive career. I’ve been wrong before, but pitchers in the HOF have been written off before they were Nova’s age, not to mention been annointed as HOF’ers who were forgotten before they were 30. What I love about baseball!