• Yankees & Red Sox Since 2003

Posted by on July 7th, 2012 · Comments (16)

Via Boston.com this morning -

Since the start of the 2003 season, the Red Sox and Yankees have played precisely 168 times in the regular season, the series deadlocked at exactly 84-84. Add in the playoffs and the numbers change to 91-91 – seven postseason wins each – and further examination reveals even greater parity.

Each team defeated the other in an American League Championship Series. Each team went to two World Series. The Red Sox have won two titles while the Yankees have won one, and most any conversation about American League contenders included both.

Missing here is the Yankees choke of 2004 and the Red Sox choke of 2011.

Which was worse, in your opinion?

I know the Yankees had to win just one game in four tries in 2004. But, the Red Sox went 6-18 to close out 2011 and did not win consecutive games at any point in the month of September…blowing a 9 game lead on a post-season berth. And, they blew their last game of the season in the 9th inning.

So, which was worse?

Comments on Yankees & Red Sox Since 2003

1. July 7th, 2012 | 11:29 am

2004 was worse.

2. Garcia
      July 7th, 2012 | 2:32 pm

Why does it even matter which is worse, both sucked for their respective fanbases. I’m so over 2004, it was a great comeback for the Red Sox, they ended their championship drought, and no longer have to hear the “1918″ change. 1997 hurt a lot, I was bothered by that one for “a minute” (a long time) I remember.

3. Garcia
      July 7th, 2012 | 3:48 pm

err, not ‘change’ but ‘chant’.

4. Greg H.
      July 7th, 2012 | 4:45 pm

Oh, man, 2011 was way worse.

I know, 2004 hurt real bad. But it was one series against a very good team in the ALCS. I remember being mildly amazed that the Yanks were up 3-0 after the first three games. At least our opponent wound up winning the World Series.

2011, on the other hand was the consummate choke-job, complete with letting every group of guys with uniforms walk all over them for a whole month after holding a huge division lead. Cap that off with an unbearably humiliating defeat at the hands of the lowly O’s and the mighty Robert Andino – off Papelbon. Add in the chicken and beer nightmare and the sacking of Francona and Epstein, and 2011 was simply epic. That was the most fun I remember watching baseball in a very long time. No team can suffer like the Stink Sox.

July 7th, 2012 | 5:09 pm

Greg H. wrote:

Don’t forget that this was after the the Red Sox was crowned the 2011 World Champs before throwing a single pitch.

Remember the panic, and how the Yankees were in such trouble, relying on Bartolo Colon and Freddy Garcia?

lulz

6. Evan3457
      July 7th, 2012 | 11:00 pm

Greg H. wrote:

I remember thinking the same thing; the Sox were the better team much of the 2nd half of the season.

7. redbug
      July 8th, 2012 | 7:19 am

2004 w/o doubt.

8. #15
      July 8th, 2012 | 8:41 am

Simply based on the length of time over which the drama unfolded, I’d have to say 2011 will leave more emotional scars.

9. LMJ229
      July 8th, 2012 | 10:53 am

#15 wrote:

I’d have to agree with this. Those 4 games we suffered through in 2004 were brutal and stayed with me for a long time. But they were just 4 games over the span of a week. The Sox fans had to suffer through 24 games over the last month. Watching their lead slip away every day for an entire month. That is brutal. Plus all the turmoil that followed that season. I have to admit I thoroughly enjoyed it.

10. LMJ229
      July 8th, 2012 | 10:57 am

Evan3457 wrote:

Greg H. wrote:

I was pretty much delirious when the Yanks went up 3-0. I still kinda can’t believe we blew it.

July 8th, 2012 | 11:02 am

LMJ229 wrote:

I still kinda can’t believe we blew it.

3-0 with Duque, Moose, Lieber & Brown in the pipeline, neither can I. Insult to injury was leads in games 4 & 5, especially game 4 with the greatest closer in history on the mound facing the bottom of the order.

12. LMJ229
      July 8th, 2012 | 11:27 am

@ Raf:
      Once we lost games 4&5 though, I knew we would lose the series.

July 8th, 2012 | 12:01 pm

@ LMJ229:
      Game 6 was a push, I figured that even though Schilling wasn’t going to get hammered like he did in game 1 & that the Yanks would eke something out. Of course they didn’t, and finally the umpires conferred when Rodriguez tried to slap the ball away. Even though they got the call right, I was surprised to see the umpires confer the way they did. Same with the Bellhorn HR.

Never seen the umpires get together like that. Same in 2005, when Cano was called out for running out of the lane (though we had seen it happen in 1995 (vs the M’s) and 1998 (vs the Indians).

I had the same line of thought for Game 7, that Brown wouldn’t have pitched as bad as he did in game 3.

14. 77yankees
      July 8th, 2012 | 12:06 pm

@ LMJ229:

Not me. When Tony Clark came up in Game 6, bottom of the 9th w/2 on & 2 out, I thought, “Here we go – they’re going to break their hearts again – a home run was coming for sure.”

I don’t think Torre named the Game 7 starter until the following afternoon. I was hoping it would be El Duque, but it wasn’t, and we all know what happened.

15. agsf
      July 9th, 2012 | 6:24 pm

“I’d have to say 2011 will leave more emotional scars.”

This has to be a case where one team’s fans can’t speak for another’s. That’s the only way a statement like this can exist.

16. MJ Recanati