• Derek Jeter’s Last 44 Games

Posted by on July 17th, 2012 · Comments (20)

In his last 44 games, Jeter’s BA/OBA/SLG line is .266/.316/.333 (in 208 PA).

But, the Yankees are in first place and have the best record in baseball. So, Jeter’s stats don’t matter – just like Russell Martin’s batting average and Alex Rodriguez’ slugging percentage.

Comments on Derek Jeter’s Last 44 Games

1. 77yankees
      July 17th, 2012 | 1:03 pm

Correct.

2. MJ Recanati
      July 17th, 2012 | 1:17 pm

Not sure what your point is here. The Yanks have the best record in baseball, they’re showing themselves to be a good and resilient team (albeit with the RISP flaw which they just can’t shake) and there’s really not much to complain about.

If this post is your passive-aggressive way of pointing out things about the team that you hate…well, mission accomplished. Rodriguez, Martin and Jeter are all underperforming. But we already knew that.

3. July 17th, 2012 | 1:35 pm

Ah, yes, the good news – the Yankees score a lot and have the best record in baseball.

But, their SS and lead-off hitter doesn’t get on base. Their 3B and “big bat” doesn’t hit for power. Their CF is a two-outcome hitter: whiff or HR. Their RF and 1B are infamous for choking in the post-season. Their catcher is an auto-out. And, their LF platoon is like 100 years old in combined age.

But, it’s all OK. They’re in first place. We can ignore all that other stuff.

Really?

July 17th, 2012 | 1:42 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Yes, all that despite

Steve L. wrote:

So the question is how did they manage to be the best team in baseball despite their flaws?

5. 77yankees
      July 17th, 2012 | 1:49 pm

You can go through every team in 1st place with a microscope and find flaws & questions.

6. July 17th, 2012 | 1:52 pm

Raf wrote:

If I had to target one thing, I would say “pitching” – esp. #18 and #65 (and #46 when he was in there).

7. Garcia
      July 17th, 2012 | 2:24 pm

Sometimes I read shit here and I feel like my head is about to explode.

8. Corey
      July 17th, 2012 | 2:26 pm

Been talking about this for weeks now.

9. Corey
      July 17th, 2012 | 2:30 pm

Steve L. wrote:

esp. #18 and #65 (and #46 when he was in there).

Who’d have thought that Hughes would pitch as well as he has in his last 12 or so starts? Not me.

10. #15
      July 17th, 2012 | 3:29 pm

If you are watching the games and not focused on stat sheets, you’d probably agree with me that Jeter isn’t hurting us. Considering the whole package, there are still not too many other guys I’d like to have as my SS. Sure I’d like to see his OBP around .360+, and another 5-10 SB because it would mean a few more RBI’s for Grandy, Tex and Cano when they tee off. A-Rod’s production is a conspicuous hole in the 3 spot. Right now he’s a substandard 3 hole hitter, and the rest of the Yankees are either standard or above standard for their respective spots in the batting order (Martin aside). Cano is offering A-Rod tremendous protection.Tex is now, finally, doing the same for Robbie. Swish? Not so much, but perhaps on par with 6 hole hitters. My view is Girardi is giving A-Rod every opportunity to see good pitches and start producing. Dropping him to the 5 spot will only make it harder for A-Rod to get going. Has Joe held out too long? Maybe. But with the team having the best record in baseball and being on the verge of running away with the division, this is probably a good time to show patience. A-Rod is hearing the boos… I throw some out there myself over the weekend and knows the fans are ahead of the curve compared to the team’s management. Your #3 hitter needs to be a guy other teams fear or pitch around. Not someone you walk a guy to get to.

Couple of other observations from my annual pilgramage…. Grandy is generating incredible power out of his frame. Saw all three games on the right field side. The balls are exploding off his bat. Everything Robbie hits is on the barrel, you will not get him out with a pitch in the zone.. Tex’s glove is worth 5 or more games a year for us. I so do not miss Giambi at 1st base. So much for early concerns about Grandy going back on balls. Swisher is dead meat when he’s 0-2 or 1-2, if the pitcher can locate a curveball or slider. I wouldn’t ever throw him a fastball in the strike zone. Martin is lost at the plate, he’s spinning like a top, over swinging and not chosing good pitches to swing at. Catcher may be one of the bigger questions for us going into the off season. The Qualls experiment should come to a quick end.

11. July 17th, 2012 | 3:37 pm

Garcia wrote:

Sometimes I read shit here and I feel like my head is about to explode.

Then, my work here is done. :-)

12. MJ Recanati
      July 17th, 2012 | 3:46 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Then, my work here is done.

I always believed that and now I’m completely convinced. You write provocative stuff just to garner a response and spur discussion.

13. clintfsu813
      July 17th, 2012 | 3:59 pm

@ #15:
      Martin has looked better as of late, thankfully.

Qualls wont be around long. Count it.

14. July 17th, 2012 | 4:15 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      The straw that stirs…
      Nah, never mind :-)

15. MJ Recanati
      July 17th, 2012 | 4:33 pm

clintfsu813 wrote:

Qualls wont be around long. Count it.

He’s just holding a spot warm for Joba/Aardsma.

July 17th, 2012 | 8:54 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      Or Pettitte

17. KPOcala
      July 18th, 2012 | 1:49 am

Jeter’s OPS is still higher than “A-Gone”. Remember him? The product of Theo’s deepest machinations? The player who could/would hit 50 doubles, 50 homers a year? Yes, and a player with some questions about his shoulder. Wonder if he boldly ran away from Boston after gutting the farm? Or was his ass kicked between his shoulder blades by Lucchino?

If that had been Cashman’s deal………..

18. MJ Recanati
      July 18th, 2012 | 11:50 am

@ KPOcala:
      Adrian Gonzalez was worth 6.6 fWAR last year, tied for 11th best in baseball overall and third-best among all first basemen. Hard to see how last year’s trade for him can be viewed as anything but a good trade.

Moreover, of the three prospects they gave up, only one was of any consequence (Anthony Rizzo). The other two (Casey Kelly/Reymond Fuentes) are struggling. Kelly still has upside but Fuentes is really just a reserve outfielder that may or may not even make it out of the minors.

If this had been Cashman’s deal, I would’ve been thrilled.

19. clintfsu813
      July 18th, 2012 | 11:53 am

@ MJ Recanati:
      I also think that A-GON would look much better on the Yanks than Boston. As in, he’d be on a first place team instead of a .500 team with in-house turmoil.

20. MJ Recanati
      July 18th, 2012 | 11:56 am

clintfsu813 wrote:

A-Gon is used to being on .500 teams (or worse). I imagine he thought his experience in Boston would’ve been better but I guess all those zeroes at the end of his paycheck make him forget about last place and the unpleasantness of Boston as opposed to lovely San Diego.