• Kids @ The Ballpark

Posted by on July 17th, 2012 · Comments (21)

My daughter is 10-years old and my son is 8-years old.

We’ve been taking them to baseball games since they were very young.

And, we have some games still on our schedule for this year.

As a family, we’re making a trip down to Camden Yards (for the first time). We also have a Somerset Patriots game next month.  And, my son has two Yankees games coming up – along with a Trenton Thunder game (TBD). My daughter has another Yankees game coming too. (I only have two seats for the Yankees. So, the kids have to take turns going with me.)

I just did a tally of the games that they’ve seen, so far, in person – not including the games that they have coming up. Here it is:

Team Daughter Son
    Somerset Patriots 11 11
    Staten Island Yankees 4 4
    Sussex Skyhawks 1 1
    Trenton Thunder 2 2
    New Jersey Jackals 2 2
    Lakewood BlueClaws 20 20
    New York Yankees 8 8
    Newark Bears 1 1
    New York Mets 0 1
    Total 49 50

On average, they’re doing about 5 or 6 games a season.

I suspect that my son will start to take a larger lead in this race.  He loves playing baseball and watching it is his second passion.  We even go to the local Little League to watch the tournament games.  (We’re like the only ones there sometimes who doesn’t have a family member or friend playing in the game.)  If it were up to him, we would go see a game in-person every week.

My daughter used to be into it.  At one point, I had her keeping track of the game using a scorecard.  She was good at it. There was a time where she would root at the games and insist on not leaving our seats until the final out was made.  But, now that she’s ten, she’s losing interest in it.  As such, I think it’s going to be my son and I going to games – and then my wife and daughter will do something else.

She still likes to go if it’s a fireworks night or if there’s some nice give-away.  But, she’s not really interested in watching the game for a full nine innings – whereas my son is locked into what’s happening on the field.

We did all go to Yankees Stadium, as a family of four, the day that Derek Jeter got his 3,000th hit.  (I bought those at StubHub.)  That’s a game that we’ll never forget.

I have a ticket stub saved from every game that they’ve ever attended – even if it’s a printout of one that I bought on-line.  I would like to keep doing that until they start going to games on their own without me.

Now, that will be a happy and sad day for me.  It will be nice that they will want to attend a game – even if I am not there.  But, it will also somewhat sting a little as well (being left out).  But, I have some time before that will start to happen.

I didn’t attend my first pro-game until I was 10 1/2 years old.  (Don’t blame my parents – I wasn’t interested until that time.)

How about you?  When did you start going to baseball games?  And, if you have kids, when did they start going?

Comments on Kids @ The Ballpark

1. 77yankees
      July 17th, 2012 | 12:55 pm

Went to my first game at age 5 – August 27, 1977. Yanks lost to Texas 8-2. Toby Harrah & Bump Wills hit back to back inside the park home runs off Ken Clay. It was only the 2nd (and last) time in MLB history it had happened. So at my first game I witnessed something rarer than a perfect game, unassisted triple play, etc.

Probably been to 75 MLB games since then – all at Yankee Stadium, until last night when I went to Coors Field to a Rockies game while here on vacation. Seeing Coors makes you realize even more where they dropped the ball in the new Stadium.

2. July 17th, 2012 | 1:07 pm

77yankees wrote:

Details, please! :-)

3. 77yankees
      July 17th, 2012 | 1:35 pm

We got a deal for 4 seats, 4 hot dogs & sodas, a parking pass & program all for $54. The seats were in the upper reserved section on the 3rd base side of home plate.

Even though we were 10 rows from the top of the stadium in the upper deck, I’d say we were closer to the field than the first row of the upper deck at the new Yankee Stadium. We had a clear view of the entire field – something you wouldn’t have at the same location at new YS.

To me the seats were more comfortable at Coors with more leg room. The prices at the concession stands were cheaper but not significantly.

They play a lot of the usual between innings scoreboard games, but it was nice not to hear the annoying P.C. Richard whistle or the YMCA overplayed gig. They actually had a couple of between innings games where they let fans on the field. One where a guy had to run from LF & change second base & cross the 1st base line in 20 seconds. The guy did & won a Rockies jersey. Another they had someone catching fly balls in the OF shot from a hand cannon. My brother asked me if they do anything like that in the new Stadium, and I replied, “Are you kidding? Let the peasants on the field? They shoot pigeons who go on the field in the new Stadium.”

4. 77yankees
      July 17th, 2012 | 1:42 pm

Additionally there are no “moat” seats & there doesn’t appear to be any obstructed view seats. It’s a pleasant place to watch a game. You don’t hear the invective you hear in the Bronx & everyone seemed to manage their liquor & behavior well but I’ve been told it’s different for Bronco games out there.

5. July 17th, 2012 | 1:46 pm

@ 77yankees:
      OMG. How much would that cost at Yankee Stadium? Something like $300? Amazing.

You know, I just went to Citi Field for the first time on July 8th. I sat in the upper upper deck behind HP. And, now that you mention it, the seats there seemed wider than the seats that I have in the Main Section of Yankee Stadium. And, I am not a fat guy. (I’m 5′ 10″ and weigh 175 pounds.)

The only major league parks that I have been to are the three Yankee Stadiums, Shea Stadium and Citi Field. So, I can’t compare all that much.

I am going to Camden later in the year. I’ve never heard anyone say anything bad about it. And, most rave about it. That said, it will be interesting to compare that against Yankee Stadium, once I have that under my belt.

July 17th, 2012 | 2:17 pm

The Yankees get away with it, because they’re the Yankees. They can be a bit pretentious at times, which gets on my nerves. You would think that they’d be a fan friendly organization, but there it is. And this isn’t some recent phenomenon, either.

To be fair, the Yankees run ticket specials, I just haven’t been able to take advantage of them for any number of reasons.

20 games @ Lakewood, Steve? I guess you live close by… lol

I have a feeling you’ll enjoy Camden Yards, Steve. It really is a nice place to watch the game. Generally, O’s fans are a lot more pleasant towards opposing teams than Yankees or Red Sox fans, but that’s based on a limited observation.

7. Corey
      July 17th, 2012 | 2:38 pm

I don’t remember what my first game was (I believe it was a Met game) but I remember seeing the Blue Jays and White Sox during 1992-1993.

My first real vivid memory of a baseball game was the first ever mlb game featuring the Colorado Rockies. The Mets hosted them, here’s the box score : http://www.baseball-reference.com/games/standings.cgi?date=1993-04-05.

It’s a pretty cool memory and I’m glad I kept the stub.

8. Corey
      July 17th, 2012 | 2:39 pm
    9. Corey
      July 17th, 2012 | 2:44 pm

Raf wrote:

True except toward New Yorkers and Bostonians. They get pretty pissed about fans coming down and taking over Camden. Found this out by not wearing any Yankee related gear when I went.

10. clintfsu813
      July 17th, 2012 | 2:55 pm

Growing up in North FL I didnt have many chances to see MLB games. My first game was in 1992 for Dodgers/Braves in Fulton County Stadium. I didnt see another MLB game until Rays/Yanks in 2001. Since then I’ve been to 11 different parks.

Coors was very cool, especially with the view of the Mountains in the background. Everything 77Yankees stated was pretty accurate. Now, I’m not gonna sit here and compare Coors to YS3. The Yanks are different than everybody. They dont have to discount their food or tickets. People are going to show up. They also dont have to do silly gimmicks for the kids. People will still show up. That doesnt mean I wouldnt like them to..I just dont expect it.

11. July 17th, 2012 | 3:40 pm

Raf wrote:

20 games @ Lakewood, Steve? I guess you live close by…

Yup, they’re just about 45 minutes south of me. Plus, they really do things right there.

12. July 17th, 2012 | 3:41 pm

Anyone here go to Citi? Thoughts? Like it better than Yankee Stadium?

13. clintfsu813
      July 17th, 2012 | 3:56 pm

@ Steve L.:
      Was just there. I did like it. Beautiful park. Not more than YS3. (This may be a personal bias though.)

Yanks do a better job of showing off their past. Granted, they have a longer one than the Mets.

I did like that the Mets allowed us to walk down front so I could meet Wade and Nova after they warmed up.

14. July 17th, 2012 | 4:14 pm

Yeah, I thought that Citi was friendly and cozy. A ballpark, not a Stadium. And, it had some character. That said, no question, they could have played up the Mets history more. But, that’s on the owner who thinks he owns the Brooklyn Dodgers.

15. Corey
      July 17th, 2012 | 4:26 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Anyone here go to Citi? Thoughts? Like it better than Yankee Stadium?

With the black walls, i thought Citi Field was a better looking park. Now that they changed the color it loses something with me…maybe it’s just that it reminds me of the Mets. Anyway all and all it’s about the same.

July 17th, 2012 | 6:10 pm

Steve L. wrote:

There isn’t much to build around. Relatively speaking, Flushing Meadows is in the middle of nowhere (bordered by an El, an expressway, a parking lot and some chop shops), and given that Shea was a multipurpose park, there wasn’t any styling cues to draw from. From what others have told me, there really wasn’t anything memorable about the Polo Grounds other than the shape of the playing field.

Mets history pretty much boils down to 1969, 1986, Tom Seaver and Gil Hodges.

17. redbug
      July 17th, 2012 | 6:32 pm

My uncle took me to my 1st game. It was sometime in the early 60′s. We sat behind home plate. Elston Howard won the game w/ a HR.

My uncle use to stay w/ us for a few weeks ea summer. He listened to or watched every game on TV. He was born in the late 1890′s and remembered players from Ruth on. He got me hooked.

I use to travel on biz and made a point of going to games. I have to say the best place to see a game is Fenway. No matter where I sat, I felt like I was close to the field. I always wore my Yankees cap and never was hassled. I also liked Kauffman Stadium. Wrigley did nothing for me.

18. July 17th, 2012 | 6:33 pm

@ Raf: When my son and I got to Citi, he saw the banners for 1969, 1973, 1986 and 2000 and he asked me “Is that it?” I reminded him that the Mets had only been around for 50 years and not 109 years like the Yankees.

19. July 17th, 2012 | 6:37 pm

redbug wrote:

I am surprised to hear this…

I’ve been told that the seats in Fenway are way too small – and that you spend the whole game with your knees under your chin and the knees of the person behind you in your back (if you are in the bleachers).

I also heard the Wrigley made some people cry, the first time they were there, because it made them so happy.

But, that’s just what I heard – and I have never been to either.

July 17th, 2012 | 7:20 pm

The seats in Fenway are small, but there are more space in certain areas of the park. I sat near the Pesky Pole as well as along the 3rd base line (field level) with minimal discomfort. They were plastic seats, though there are some old wooden seats in some sections. I imagine those aren’t as comfortable.

Same went for Wrigley, I was pleasantly surprised that I had more room than expected.

As for the fan experience, I wore my Yankee cap in Fenway, and didn’t have a problem. Maybe it was because I was 6’2, 255… Or maybe it was because it was 1997 :D.

I’ve gone with friends for the Futures at Fenway doubleheader and there hasn’t been any incident.

Oh, BTW
      We take full responsibility for the Red Sox collapse of 2011. We should be making the run again this year 8)

21. clintfsu813
      July 18th, 2012 | 9:35 am

I didnt have any issues at the Joba game in Fenway in ’08. I was sitting in a nice section though. 2nd deck, First base side, University Club.
      Was just at Turner. They made a great comeback vs the shitty Mets bullpen. Place was electric when Kimbrel came in. I told my Father in Law…this is what we’ve been feeling since ’97 with Mo.