• Yankees Trade For Ichiro Suzuki

Posted by on July 23rd, 2012 · Comments (19)

Per Jack Curry -

The Yankees have acquired Ichiro Suzuki for RHPs DJ Mitchell and Danny Fahrquar, a source said. Yanks also get undisclosed cash in deal.

Too bad it’s not 2009. Let’s see if the Yankees issue him # 51.

Comments on Yankees Trade For Ichiro Suzuki

1. clintfsu813
      July 23rd, 2012 | 7:33 pm

No way he gets 51

2. 77yankees
      July 23rd, 2012 | 8:26 pm

Look, maybe the change to a winning atmosphere added to the impending free agent motivation will do the trick. Remember Kerry Wood couldn’t get anyone out until he got here in 2010, then was lights out for 2 months.

3. #15
      July 23rd, 2012 | 9:06 pm

I’ll take a stand. Good trade. Low cost. Maybe Swish is hurt a bit worse than we thought???? My bet is he’ll perform better than he has YTD. The guy was languishing on a terrible team for a long, long time, he’s needed a change of scenary, and he has a youthful enough body to turn it around offensively. He’s not going to hit .320 but a pennant race could revive the guy. We get someone that can take an extra base here and there, steal one here and there, and can still play defense at a well above average level. He can also reach the porch in right field. He also knows it’s probably his only chance at an MLB ring and I suspect that means there will be no lack of effort.

With Gardner gone, this was a decent move. Dave Justice level? Probably not; those are very rare. But, the Yankees are better with Ichiro.

Now, it means A-Rod will get less time at DH, as Jones and Raul/Chavy will flipflop at DH a lot of nights.

4. July 23rd, 2012 | 9:25 pm

I don’t see a downside. Actually I read some speculation concerning Ichiro and the Yanks late last week. The trade looks low risk, Seattle isn’t getting much in return.

5. LMJ229
      July 23rd, 2012 | 9:53 pm

Joseph Maloney wrote:

Agreed. Cashman and Levine deserve their props on this one. I think this is a great trade. Fills a need, we didn’t give up much, and Ichiro is a FA next year so we are not committed to him long term.

6. Evan3457
      July 23rd, 2012 | 10:06 pm

Mitchell is a nice young arm. Nobody better whine two years from now if he becomes a successful #4-5 starter for the M’s. Not saying he will, but don’t whine if it happens.

Fahrquar was one of the much-derided “dumpster-dive” waiver claims that people mock Cashman for. Well, he just turned into half of a possibly important piece of the puzzle.

As for Ichiro, logically I don’t expect much as he’s over a year and a half away from being a useful hitter. However:

1) He does bring a few things that the Yanks don’t have, and
      2) It is unlikely, but as I read his psychology, a trade to a good team may well revive him, at least for two months.

Too bad it’s not 2009.

1) They won it all in 2009 without Ichiro.
      2) It would’ve cost them a helluva lot more than Mitchell and Fahrquar in 2009.

7. Corey
      July 23rd, 2012 | 11:01 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

I can see it. I thought Mitchell had ok stuff.

July 24th, 2012 | 7:52 am

So much for the Yanks not trading with the M’s since the Cliff Lee non-trade, eh?

9. July 24th, 2012 | 8:47 am

I wonder, if Ichie plays lights-out from here through the post-season, would the Yankees let Swisher walk and then off Ichiro a two-year deal with a vesting on a third year? Then again, if Gardner is coming back, then you don’t need two speed guys in the same outfield – esp. on the corners.

10. Evan3457
      July 24th, 2012 | 11:16 am

Steve L. wrote:

Just sign Melky to replace Swisher. Melky is right in the middle of his prime.

11. July 24th, 2012 | 12:19 pm

BTW, am I the only one who finds it joke when someone likes to say that “Jack Curry broke the story on the Yankees trade for Ichiro” or “Jack Curry broke the story of Pettitte ending his retirement”?

I mean, com’on, the Yankees feed these to Jack – since he’s on their payroll.

I like Curry. He does a good job. But, let’s not make it like he’s doing some great investigative reporting with these things.

12. MJ Recanati
      July 24th, 2012 | 12:33 pm

@ Steve L.:
      Isn’t that the case for everyone? At this point, all teams/franchises control their news very tightly and only disseminate information through their preferred outlets.

13. July 24th, 2012 | 12:38 pm

That’s fine. Then, call it a “press release” and don’t refer to it as “breaking the story” – which is what they did on YES, yesterday, claiming that “Jack Curry broke the story…”

14. MJ Recanati
      July 24th, 2012 | 1:27 pm

@ Steve L.:
      But doesn’t Heyman get credit for “breaking stories” with Boras clients? Seems not all that different.

15. July 24th, 2012 | 1:28 pm

Good point from my friend Phil:

it is funny that probably three of the biggest 4 players ever to wear a marniers uniform were/are yankees

A-Rod, Big Unit and Ichie.

16. July 24th, 2012 | 1:30 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

@ Steve L.:

That’s networking and using that network to get a lead on a story.

It would be the same as Curry only if Heyman was on the Boras payroll (like Jack in on the Yankees/YES payroll).

17. Evan3457
      July 24th, 2012 | 1:37 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Good point from my friend Phil:
      A-Rod, Big Unit and Ichie.

Ken Griffey and Edgar Martinez say it’s 3 of 5.

18. PocketAces
      July 24th, 2012 | 3:35 pm

I loved E. Martinez, but he is still #5.

Therefore, still 3 of 4.

Just my opinion………….

July 24th, 2012 | 7:18 pm

PocketAces wrote:

I loved E. Martinez, but he is still #5.
      Therefore, still 3 of 4.