• Ichiro’s Last 599 PA On The Road

Posted by on July 24th, 2012 · Comments (22)

Here is the total on these:

PA AB H 2B 3B HR RBI BB SO BA OBP SLG
    599 565 163 19 5 4 35 28 43 .288 .319 .361
    Provided by Baseball-Reference.com: View Play Index Tool Used
    Generated 7/24/2012.

This should be the baseline expectation, in terms of production rate, that the Yankees should have for their newly acquired outfielder.

Hey, it’s an upgrade on DeWayne Wise…

Comments on Ichiro’s Last 599 PA On The Road

1. Evan3457
      July 24th, 2012 | 1:40 pm

I think that even if Ichiro is not revived, per se, by a move from permanent non-contention to a move into the pennant race and the post-season, Yankee Stadium will help him in two ways, one well-known, and the other not as well-known:

1) If he chooses to, he can pull a few extra homers into the porch. A 5-HR hitter might become, in effect, a 10-HR hitter.

2) The space in left and left-center will give him a few extra singles, or if they play him in, doubles and triples in the gap, and doubles down the line.

2. July 24th, 2012 | 2:17 pm

His 2009-2012 Yankee Stadium numbers are VERY good – albeit a small sample size.

3. Garcia
      July 24th, 2012 | 2:53 pm

I’ll take that baseline expectation. When you factor in his defense and base running ability, then he will help them in saving runs and creating run scoring opportunities.

So Steve, did Cashman make a good trade here?

4. July 24th, 2012 | 3:46 pm

Ask me again in October.

5. Garcia
      July 24th, 2012 | 4:20 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Ask me again in October.

Dude, take a stand. Why do you only want to wait when you can assign blame versus taking a position now? It just comes across as very convenient for you.

6. MJ Recanati
      July 24th, 2012 | 4:21 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Ask me again in October.

So moves are only good if the Yankees win the World Series?

Talk about an absurdly high and unrealistic measuring stick…

7. redbug
      July 24th, 2012 | 6:32 pm

Why not move Swisher to left? Ichiro is the better defender.

8. July 24th, 2012 | 7:13 pm

@ Garcia:

I’ll reply, no Cashman did not do a good job. I think he had virtually nothing to do with the deal at all. The possibility of getting Ichiro has been floating around since late last week. The story out of Seattle was Ichiro approached the Mariners about a week or two ago and requested a trade. Now I’m not sure I believe that, Seattle may have told Ichiro’s people that no new contract would be offered. We know what came up next, a discussion about the benefit to both Ichiro and the Mariners of moving on in separate directions. Randy Levine (not Cashman) was contacted by Mariner President Chuck Armstrong and the deal was worked out from there. Nintendo wanted no screw ups that could lead to bad pr surrounding the departure of Ichiro, moving him to the Yankees made sense for obvious reasons. What we have here is a “gentlemen’s agreement”, we’ll see what else takes place between the clubs in the future.

9. July 24th, 2012 | 7:26 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

So moves are only good if the Yankees win the World Series?Talk about an absurdly high and unrealistic measuring stick…

It must be painful to be so all-knowing and yet often wrong. But, that’s what happens when you assume and put words into people’s mouth.

Duh. I meant, let’s see what he does for the Yankees between now and season end.

10. July 24th, 2012 | 7:27 pm

Joseph Maloney wrote:

Good post.

July 24th, 2012 | 8:28 pm

Joseph Maloney wrote:

Now there’s a “gentleman’s agreement?” After Washburn, Lee and Pineda?

Not quite sure I believe that, certainly not after people crowing about the Lee and Pineda deals (or non deals in the Lee case). Besides, with Gardner going under the knife, and Swisher getting hurt, this trade is awful convenient. At least it gets Ibañez out of the field, hopefully.

12. Garcia
      July 24th, 2012 | 11:01 pm

Joseph Maloney wrote:

I’ll reply, no Cashman did not do a good job.

So if Cashman had nothing to do with it, then how was it a bad job by him? You say he didn’t have his hand in this, it was all Levine, so isn’t it just that Cashman was watching from the sidelines. Not a good job, not a bad job, just no job by Cashman — which IS what Mr. Lombardi would ultimately want.

13. Evan3457
      July 25th, 2012 | 1:26 am

A-Rod hit by pitch on wrist; broken wrist, out 6-8 weeks.

Steve should be quite pleased.

14. KPOcala
      July 25th, 2012 | 2:04 am

Just curious. How are some of you guys getting the “Levine pulled the trigger” story? I don’t live in New York, I’ve heard a “whisper” about Levine, but no confirmation. Is this speculation or fact?

Regarding A-Rod,this could turn out to be a wrecking ball for the season. He’s not the A-Rod of 5 years ago, but he’s not cannon fodder either. Anyone see the Yanks coming up with a big deal for Hanley Ramirez, or will it be a platoon with Chavez? I’m not a fan of Ramirez, (assuming that a good third baseman cannot be had, reasonably ) but Chavez playing too much scares the hell out of me. And he could take over next year and allow A-Rod to just hit. Anyway, just speculating…

15. KPOcala
      July 25th, 2012 | 2:25 am

Forget what I wrote above about going for Hanley Ramirez. Maybe this pushes Cashman into picking up a top of the rotation starter instead. It would mitigate A-Rod’s loss, A-Rod comes back, and said pitcher helps to win a WS. The Yanks need to do something now, because it’s no stretch to say that the Yanks current window is shutting fast, at least for a couple of years.

16. Evan3457
      July 25th, 2012 | 2:33 am

KPOcala wrote:

Platoon Chavez/Nix, and bring up an infielder, for now, I imagine.

July 25th, 2012 | 6:29 am

KPOcala wrote:

Regarding A-Rod,this could turn out to be a wrecking ball for the season.

A bit dramatic, no?

18. MJ Recanati
      July 25th, 2012 | 7:54 am

Steve L. wrote:

It must be painful to be so all-knowing and yet often wrong.

I’m often wrong? OK, maybe. But I guess that’s what happens when I don’t move yardsticks around so that I can always be right…right?

19. KPOcala
      July 25th, 2012 | 1:37 pm

@ Raf: OK, Raf, a bit dramatic. But the lineup shortens, and more brittle bodies get exposed. And if a losing streak start to get going, confidence wains, and……I still think it’s time to get a steely-eyed, top of the rotation pitcher. Josh Johnson can be had (don’t know about his “steely-eyes” though)…..

20. MJ Recanati
      July 25th, 2012 | 2:44 pm

@ KPOcala:
      Given Detroit’s overpay for two months of Anibal Sanchez, Josh Johnson having an extra year of control would be cost-prohibitive from a prospects point of view. I’d rather not trade two B+ or better prospects for a season and change of a guy that has a hard time staying healthy.

July 25th, 2012 | 5:52 pm

KPOcala wrote:

But the lineup shortens, and more brittle bodies get exposed.

Or a temporary stop-gap emerges, like what happened with LF.

22. MJ Recanati
      July 25th, 2012 | 6:01 pm

Raf wrote:

Or a temporary stop-gap emerges, like what happened with LF.

I know the Phillies don’t see themselves as sellers but Placido Polanco would be a nice target. He’s got an optional $5.5M contract next year ($1M buyout) and could play a little 2B or 3B for us.