• Yankee Stadium Bleacher Creatures Roll Call Celebrity Guests

Posted by on August 13th, 2012 · Comments (12)

Is it just me, or, did the Bleacher Creatures sell out once they started allowing the Yankees to feed them “celebrity guests” to help lead their roll call before games?

It seems like it’s just a matter of time until Bald Vinny starts the roll call with “And, now, we present the French’s Classic Yellow Mustard Yankee Stadium Roll Call!”

Comments on Yankee Stadium Bleacher Creatures Roll Call Celebrity Guests

1. August 13th, 2012 | 8:55 am

I consider Vinny a friend. He knows/remembers my name in a sea of hundreds of fans, goes out of his way to say hey to my friends and I if we’re in the bleachers, and IMHO, a genuine fun guy who likes to have fun with what he’s given.

However, I’m just not a fan of the celebrity guests. Last game I was in the bleachers, Tara (yea, that Tara with the piercing voice) was the guest. Security gets racked up significantly and the roll call becomes more about the celebrities instead of the celebrities on the field. If you want the full experience, sit with us non-celebs for a few innings, instead of doing the roll call and then running back up to your suites or Legend seats.

I know some have done that (Cone, Nelson, Cashman did it in disguise, I believe, sensing a pattern here?), but still. Just rubs me off the wrong way and continues to emphasize the point that the Yankees will cater exclusively to everyone but the average Yankee fan like you and me.

I understand why it’s done now: the roll call is one of the few memorable things about Yankee lore beyond the players at the new Stadium, it builds a nice working relationship between the rich and the Yankees, and frankly, it’s a lot of fun. But let us fans who don’t have the cash to pay for those half-empty Legends seats have something to exclusively call our own and let the celebrities have their buffets and cushioned-bottom seats.

/soapbox

2. 77yankees
      August 13th, 2012 | 9:46 am

I find it comical that for years the Yankees tried to “sanitize” and “cleanse” the bleachers by banning alcohol and jacking up the ticket prices – even going back to the old Stadium.

And now the Yankees are trying to promote the bleachers experience as cool, hip, and happening.

3. August 13th, 2012 | 11:09 am

It’s a shame when something that was organic and cool becomes commercial and self-serving.

4. G.I. Joey
      August 13th, 2012 | 12:30 pm

You could make the argument that the Bleachers Creatures sold out once Bald Vinny started selling Bleacher Creatures apparel. Mind you he does it to support his family and I’m sure it offsets the cost of his season tickets, but he is definitely engaged in a commercial practice that is self-serving. I’m not saying anything is wrong with that, but let’s not pretend the organization are the only people making money off of the Bleacher Creatures.

5. August 13th, 2012 | 12:36 pm

No question, the increased attention has put Vinny on the map outside of the bleachers themselves.

6. G.I. Joey
      August 13th, 2012 | 12:40 pm

Also, the big screen usually shows what celebrities are in attendance. If they choose to sit with the Bleacher Creatures at the suggestion of the team or on their own volition who really cares at this point? You’re kidding yourself if you think there are any truly sacred practices being carried on at the new stadium. Also don’t kid yourself in thinking Bald Vinny doesn’t love yucking it up with celebrities. If you follow the guy on twitter, you know he loves every minute of it.

7. October 10th, 2012 | 10:02 pm

Vinny jumps the shark in Game 3 of the 2012 ALDS:

October 10th, 2012 | 10:30 pm

Good for Vinny.

9. 77yankees
      October 10th, 2012 | 10:32 pm

Wait, where’s the celebrity?

10. October 10th, 2012 | 10:34 pm

Three wannabe’s in that one shot.

11. 77yankees
      October 10th, 2012 | 10:39 pm

Wonder Woman Marakovits is there as Kay’s security detail.

12. October 10th, 2012 | 10:44 pm

Marakovits? I thought that was Richard Kind in a blonde wig!