• Got Testosterone?

Posted by on August 15th, 2012 · Comments (21)

Well, I guess those were not just Tic Tac’s that the Melk-man was playing around with…

Via ESPN -

San Francisco Giants outfielder Melky Cabrera has been suspended for 50 games without pay after testing positive for testosterone.

The commissioner’s office said Wednesday the suspension is effective immediately. Major League Baseball said Cabrera tested positive for the banned performance-enhancing substance, which violates MLB’s joint drug prevention and treatment program.

“My positive test was the result of my use of a substance I should not have used,” Cabrera said in a statement released by the players’ union. “I accept my suspension under the Joint Drug Program and I will try to move on with my life. I am deeply sorry for my mistake and I apologize to my teammates, to the San Francisco Giants organization and to the fans for letting them down.”

The MVP of the All-Star Game last month in Kansas City, Cabrera is batting .346 with 11 home runs and 60 RBIs in his first season with San Francisco. He was initially in the lineup for the series finale against the Washington Nationals, playing left field and batting third.

“We were extremely disappointed to learn of the suspension of Melky Cabrera for violating Major League Baseball’s Joint Drug Prevention & Treatment Program,” the Giants said shortly before game time. “We fully support Major League Baseball’s policy and its efforts to eliminate performance enhancing drugs from our game. Per the protocol outline by Major League Baseball’s collective bargaining agreement, the Giants will not comment further on this matter.”

The 28-year-old Cabrera , who became a marketing phenomenon with nicknames like “Got Melk?”, Melk Man and Melky Way, produced a 51-hit month in May. Cabrera batted .429 in May with three homers, five triples, seven doubles and 17 RBIs. He hit safely in 25 of 29 games. The 51 hits matched Randy Winn for most hits in a month since the club came to San Francisco in 1958.

Comments on Got Testosterone?

1. 77yankees
      August 15th, 2012 | 3:39 pm

For all the challenging we give you here, Steve – we have to give you the props when you hit the nail on the head.

Now about those Powerball numbers tonight…… :-)

2. FakeGeneMichaels
      August 15th, 2012 | 3:51 pm

Good Job Steve!. here’s a thought.. I wonder how long before we see the headlines on ESPN ‘A-Rods disciple Melky Cabrera suspended for Testoserone use”?..

3. August 15th, 2012 | 4:04 pm

@ 77yankees:
      My next prediction: Garcia or MJ will say that the only reason why I was right on this one was because I keep throwing things out there, and moving my goalposts, with the hope that eventually something will come true to make me look good. :-)

4. August 15th, 2012 | 4:05 pm

@ FakeGeneMichaels:
      FWIW, people are already tweeting about it, wondering what A-Rod knew when he reportedly begged the Yankees to reacquire Melky.

5. MJ Recanati
      August 15th, 2012 | 4:27 pm

@ Steve L.:
      This has nothing to do with goalpost-moving and, frankly, if you hadn’t called me out for a story that I have no opinion on, I wouldn’t have said a word.

Since you opened the door, however, here you go:

There is nothing more insufferable than a braggart that self-references for the singular purpose of trying to appear prescient. Spare me.

6. August 15th, 2012 | 4:30 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

There is nothing more insufferable

I can think of a few things.

7. Evan3457
      August 15th, 2012 | 4:31 pm

Why wasn’t this picked up last year, when Melky had a very good year for the Royals?

8. August 15th, 2012 | 4:34 pm

@ Evan3457:Timing. With these tests, it’s all about the timing of the tests and the cycle that the user is in, I suspect. Only true way to make sure that everyone is 100% clean is to test them every week.

9. Evan3457
      August 15th, 2012 | 4:38 pm

What I mean is, the major difference between last year and this is his BABIP is 40 points higher; there’s been no change in his underlying stats. A few more line drives and grounders, fewer flyballs.

So was he using last year, or not?

Oh, and Manny Machado also trained with A-Rod last year.

10. G.I. Joey
      August 15th, 2012 | 5:08 pm

At least he owned up to it.

11. Garcia
      August 15th, 2012 | 5:09 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Pfff! :-)

12. August 15th, 2012 | 5:18 pm

G.I. Joey wrote:

At least he owned up to it.

Did he have much of a choice? FWIW, there was a report about him being busted a couple of weeks ago, IIRC, and he denied it then.

13. FakeGeneMichaels
      August 15th, 2012 | 6:11 pm

What a day! First Melky gets busted for PEDS and the NOT SO IN THE FUTURE pitcher of the Yankees throws a PERFECT GAME!. Congrats to King Felix.. When are you a FA???

August 16th, 2012 | 7:13 am

Steve L. wrote:

G.I. Joey wrote:
      At least he owned up to it.

Did he have much of a choice?

Sure, ask Ryan Braun :P

15. #15
      August 16th, 2012 | 8:01 am

Sad. The happiest person in the room is Nick Swisher. This will silence the Get Melky Back crowd.

The penalty ought to include the removal of all of his personal stats YTD from his career totals.

16. MJ Recanati
      August 16th, 2012 | 9:39 am

Raf wrote:

Sure, ask Ryan Braun

LOL, true!

17. MJ Recanati
      August 16th, 2012 | 9:40 am

#15 wrote:

What would that accomplish? It’s not like erasing them would change his career in any measurable way. Moreover, it’s not like you can point to an exact date when he started using PED’s (and the use of PED’s as they relate to on-field results is non-linear).

18. 77yankees
      August 16th, 2012 | 10:22 am

#15 wrote:

This will silence the Get Melky Back crowd.

Wouldn’t be surprised if the Yankees at least kicked the tires on Melky as a FA this winter. He went from a $100 million dollar FA to a probable one year, cheap $2 million deal.

19. MJ Recanati
      August 16th, 2012 | 11:55 am

77yankees wrote:

I don’t know that he’ll far that far down the salary scale but I do agree that every team that might’ve been previously priced out will nevertheless have interst in kicking the tires now.

August 16th, 2012 | 10:25 pm

MJ Recanati wrote:

Yep, no team’s going to sign him to a large deal only to potentially have him get suspended.

Timing’s pretty bad for the Giants.

21. KPOcala
      September 25th, 2012 | 3:15 am

@ Steve L.:I’ll second that.