• Gone Watching

Posted by on August 16th, 2012 · Comments (13)

No posts from yours truly this afternoon. Have fun without me.

Comments on Gone Watching

1. August 16th, 2012 | 10:33 pm

What do these three have in common?

Pitcher Tanner Scheppers, a first round draft pick from 2009, Pitcher Yu Darvish, considered by many to be the best pitcher in Japanese professional baseball prior to his arrival in Major League Baseball in 2012, and shortstop Elvis Andrus, who was on the A.L. All-Star team in 2010 and 2012.

Besides all being members of the Texas Rangers.

August 17th, 2012 | 12:54 am

They are three people who have never been in my kitchen?

3. August 17th, 2012 | 7:01 am

While that is true, Mr. Clavin. That’s not what we are looking for..

August 17th, 2012 | 7:17 am

They were all born in the 80′s?

They stayed at the same hotel?

You have their autographs?

5. August 17th, 2012 | 7:40 am

You somewhat got it.

Someone set me up with Legends Seats tickets yesterday. And, we were out there before the game and these three came over and signed a baseball for my son.

6. Evan3457
      August 17th, 2012 | 11:04 am

Steve L. wrote:

You somewhat got it.

How was it, sitting in Legends?
      Or are you going to write a post about it shortly?

7. August 17th, 2012 | 11:44 am

It was interesting to sit there.

Not sure that I will do a post on it? But, I will share some information here.

It was great to sit THAT CLOSE at a Yankees game. It’s probably been something like 17 years since I sat THAT CLOSE at a Yankees game.

But, it didn’t knock my off my socks – probably because I sit that close when I see the BlueClaws, Thunder, and other minor league teams.

Were the seats comfortable? Yes, they were VERY COMFORTABLE – although the guy sitting next to me kept sitting on the edge of his seat, rather than sitting back, and kept blocking my view, of the plate, unless I then sat forward too, which I did not want to do…because then I would have been blocking my son’s view. (Then again, this can happen anywhere in the Stadium.)

The food thing is crazy. It’s SO MUCH food, non-stop, to the 7th inning. I have no idea how someone could eat that much food. There were a million things that we did not eat..because you can only eat so much.

The service? They tend to you, hand and foot, like you are a king. At one point, they came around with sun block for everyone – and it was the high end stuff that I would pass on, in the store, because it’s too expensive. And, later, they came around with individually wrapped frozen wipes to use, to try and cool off.

My son had to use the bathroom in the 4th inning. And, I was SHOCKED at how many peoople were inside, eating, at the bar, etc. It was PACKED. Granted, it was hot. And, they have TVs all over the place – including in the mirrors in the bathroom. But, come on? I told my son: I can do out to eat anywhere in NY or NJ and watch the game on a big screen TV. If you’re here, and sit THAT CLOSE, and have them bring anything food and drink that you want, to your seat without you having to leave, why would you ever want to sit in here during the game? I don’t get that, at all.

My son, who is eight, LOVED IT. When he walked into the dining area, he said to me “I’m in Yankees Heaven.” And, he loved the fact that he could get autogaphs down by the field. But, then again, he does that all the time in Lakewood and recently in Trenton. So, then again, that’s sort of normal for him, overall. But, a first (and last time?) at Yankee Stadium.

If you ever go, get there as soon as the Stadium opens and be prepared to pampered and have your ass kissed more than you probably ever have in your life. It was really surreal and crazy.

I wonder what people think, those who get to do it very often?

My son, now, of course, always wants to sit in those seats. I told him that, to buy those two seats, for a full season, for JUST ONE SEASON, would be more money than what we paid for our house 13 years ago. When he got that perspective, he was floored.

Who buys those seats for a season? Really?

But, if you can get treated with them, or have a chance to get them at a huge discount, you should go for it. I cannot imagine anyone having a bad time in those seats.

8. Evan3457
      August 17th, 2012 | 4:24 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Like I’ve said before Steve, first home game after I retire.

9. August 17th, 2012 | 5:05 pm

@ Evan3457:
      Not a bad plan.

August 17th, 2012 | 5:28 pm

Steve L. wrote:

How many people were there that their priority was watching the game?

11. August 17th, 2012 | 7:03 pm

Why else would you go to the south Bronx? :-)

August 18th, 2012 | 8:12 am

Steve L. wrote:

Why else would you go to the south Bronx?

It seems that nowadays people want to do everything except watch the game :)

Kinda reminds me of luxury boxes/skyboxes where you’re trying to impress a client, or it’s a sponsored corporate outing or something along those lines.

13. August 18th, 2012 | 8:57 am

Pretty much. I would say that 99% of the people I know who sat in Legends either got the seats through work or someone set them up with them.