• Feels A Lot Like 2006 In Yankeeland Today

Posted by on August 20th, 2012 · Comments (12)

The Yankees now have three pitchers with at least 12 wins:   Hiroki Kuroda, Phil Hughes and CC Sabathia.

The last time the Yankees had 3+ pitchers with 12+ wins prior to September 1st was 2006 when Chien-Ming Wang, Randy Johnson and Mike Mussina did it.

The Yankees record this morning is 72-49.

After 121 games in 2006, their record was 73-48.

Let’s just hope that the ALDS in 2012 isn’t like the one that the Yankees had in 2006.

Comments on Feels A Lot Like 2006 In Yankeeland Today

1. Garcia
      August 20th, 2012 | 2:03 pm

It’s weird, for me it feels a lot like 2012…not 2006. I don’t really get this correlation. Different people, different team, yet in your not subtle way you are trying to relate both teams and essentially say this year’s team will suffer the same fate.

2. August 20th, 2012 | 2:31 pm

Actually, I saw a dude at the game last night wearing a “Johnson 41″ jersey and heard the comment about the 12+ win guys on the radio after the game, driving home.

And, then I saw that their records in 2006 and 2012 were about the same.

Then, I remembered how sucky the 2006 ALDS was…and hoped that this year doesn’t suck as much.

That’s it.

But, please, feel free to read into it all you want and try and put words in my mouth

3. Evan3457
      August 20th, 2012 | 4:07 pm

Steve L. wrote:

The Yankees now have three pitchers with at least 12 wins: Hiroki Kuroda, Phil Hughes and CC Sabathia.

Yes, because the 2006 Yankees had Andy Pettitte in cold storage as the #3. Oh, wait, Jaret Wright was the #4.

I don’t know if this team is better than 2006. On paper, the 2006 offense was better. Except that the OPS+ are exactly equal at 112.

But this team has a better bench, a much better #4,5,6,7 starter, and in spite of the absence of Mariano, this bullpen is deeper and stronger. Admittedly, these advantages don’t play out often in the post-season, but then, the superior lineup (on paper) didn’t play out vs. the Tigers.

Can Soriano close in the post-season like Mo? We’re going to find out, I think.

August 20th, 2012 | 7:10 pm

Hopefully, there will be no one taking an epidural before game 3. 2006 was weird in that the Yanks were trying to shoehorn the return of Matsui & Sheffield into the lineup.

I still think Sheffield should’ve given 1b more of a chance.

5. MJ Recanati
      August 21st, 2012 | 8:45 am

Raf wrote:

I still think Sheffield should’ve given 1b more of a chance.

Sheffield wasn’t exactly the embodiment of an open-minded guy. I loved him in 2004 but by 2006 all of the things that people in San Diego, Milwaukee, Florida and LA said about him were showing up in New York too. Sheffield was a prick.

6. August 21st, 2012 | 9:24 am

Yeah, but he was the Yankees MVP in 2004.

Do we sour on MVPs once they fall on harder times and/or make bad decisions?

In that case, we should hate A-Rod, right?

7. MJ Recanati
      August 21st, 2012 | 9:39 am

Steve L. wrote:

Do we sour on MVPs once they fall on harder times and/or make bad decisions? In that case, we should hate A-Rod, right?

You already do so what the fuck is the point of your post?

8. August 21st, 2012 | 10:00 am

Asking why it’s OK to say former team MVP Sheff is a prick because he went south, when we’re not allowed to do that with A-Rod, in your opinion.

9. MJ Recanati
      August 21st, 2012 | 10:28 am

Steve L. wrote:

I never said Sheffield was a prick because he went south. I said Sheffield is a prick because his personality and attitude sucked. I don’t hold a player’s decline against them since everyone declines. I hold it against a player when they behave like their shit doesn’t stink.

10. August 21st, 2012 | 10:43 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

I hold it against a player when they behave like their shit doesn’t stink.

Then you should watch A-Rod go through his pre-game routine all by himself rather than do it with the rest of his teammates – because he wants center stage. Talk about thinking his shit doesn’t stink…

11. MJ Recanati
      August 21st, 2012 | 11:42 am

Steve L. wrote:

Nope, that’s not it. But you’re entitled to your opinion so I frankly don’t give a single shit about this conversation.

August 21st, 2012 | 12:54 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Or you could note that he gave up a HOF career as a shortstop so he could play second banana to Jeter.