• Just Like The Old Days

Posted by on August 20th, 2012 · Comments (8)

So, my son and I were at the Yankees game last night.

Early in the game, between innings, they were showing random people in the stands, up on the big screen.  And, one of them was a guy with his wife.

The dude was wearing a yellow shirt, if I recall correctly, and had on a pair of granny glasses.

OK, what’s the big deal?

He was sleeping. His wife was awake but he was sitting there, early in a Yankees-Red Sox game, in what appeared to be great seats because of the high backs and padding, with his chin slightly tucked in and his eyes shut.

The split-second I saw the image, I said to my son “Oh, my, that guy is asleep!”

Then, right away, the crowd started to cheer and I quickly realized who the man was…it was Joe Torre.

Once the crowd got loud, he opened his eyes and sort of smiled.

I guess some habits are hard to give up…sleeping during the game….really?

Comments on Just Like The Old Days

1. Garcia
      August 20th, 2012 | 7:07 am

hahaha!! That’s great, Steve.

I love me some Joe Torre. And who doesn’t love a good nap during the game?

2. Garcia
      August 20th, 2012 | 7:48 am

And the Yankees record in their last ten games is …? (Drum roll please!)

Yankee fans should be concerned. Panic! Panic! Panic!

3. 77yankees
      August 20th, 2012 | 11:14 am

I recall Torre sleeping………think it was during four straight games in October 2004.

4. redbug
      August 20th, 2012 | 6:25 pm

I also recall the Yanks never missed the playoffs during Joe’s tenure. Plus, listen to the respect given to him by his players = O’Neill, Cone, Jeter, etc.

August 20th, 2012 | 7:13 pm

77yankees wrote:

He managed gms 4 & 5 normally. You often hear about bunting in gm 6, but there really wasn’t any accomplished bunters in the lineup. Gm 7 was a shitshow, and given Brown’s prior postseason experience, it makes sense that he got the start in gm 7 over Vazquez.

August 20th, 2012 | 7:14 pm

@ 77yankees:
      I know you’re being glib, just sayin’ :P

7. 77yankees
      August 20th, 2012 | 8:53 pm

redbug wrote:

Granted, but you can’t write the history of Torre’s Yankee managerial tenure w/o mentioning Jeff Weaver in extra innings, 2004 (more on that below), the three straight LDS exits that followed, the overworking of the bullpen and the clubhouse disconnect not helped by the split of Torre’s faves & non-faves in later seasons.

And there’s a pretty good CF in LA who didn’t seem to mesh with Torre and whose play suffered until Mattingly took over last year.

Raf wrote:

Remember in Game 5 though they didn’t try to run against Wakefield in extra innings when he had an unfamiliar Varitek catching him (Varitek had 3 PB in one inning that game). In extras they had Sheffield and Cairo on base who had wheels, and they also could have used Kenny Lofton to pinch-run, but he wasn’t one of Joe’s favorites.

Also in Game 6 he didn’t play Lofton who was one of the best bunters of his era, plus he had Cairo and Jeter who could handle the bat as well.

It didn’t help that the whole lineup went into a slump at the same time those last 4 games, but for someone who dropped A-Rod to the 8th spot in the LDS two years later, Torre seemed short of ideas to try to break the skid.

August 20th, 2012 | 10:47 pm

77yankees wrote:

12th: Cairo was on 2nd (1 out)when Jeter and Rodriguez flew out
      13th: Sheffield made it to 1b on a passed ball, forced out by Matsui (neither were threats to steal), Posada walked, runners on 1st & 2nd with 2 out. Still no threats to steal. Passed ball, runners on 2nd & 3rd. Sierra strikes out swinging to end the threat. Maybe you pinch hit Sierra for Lofton, but probably not with the power that Sierra represents. I don’t see Lofton PR’ing for Posada, Matsui or Sheffield.

True that Wakefield had 3 passed balls that inning, it just so happens that the slowest baserunners in Yankees history were on base when it happened… lol

14th: 1-2-3 inning for Wakefield.

Slump or no, they should’ve won games 4 & 5 but the bullpen couldn’t hold a lead. I’m not going to lie, I was pumped to see Mo in game 4 coming into the 8th inning, I thought Torre was going for the kill. And I liked their chances with Mo coming out for the 9th against the bottom of the Red Sox order. And even after blowing game 4, I figured with Moose, Lieber and Brown (what was the odds that he’d throw 2 clunkers in a row), the Yanks were in a pretty good position.

Of course, I didn’t learn from the year prior when after the Weaver game, figuring that the Yanks’ chances were pretty good with Wells, Pettitte and Moose going.

Or from 2001 with the Yanks up 3-2 and Pettitte and Clemens coming up…

*sigh*