• “Pineda” Really Is Spanish For “Pavano”

Posted by on August 20th, 2012 · Comments (10)

Via the Post -

Injured Yankees pitcher Michael Pineda was busted for DUI in Tampa, Fla., on a busy road early this morning after a cop spotted his speeding, “weaving” Nissan SUV driving without its headlights on, cops said.

The burly Pineda, 23, “had a fixed gaze and his eyes were bloodshot, watery and glassy,” a Tampa police officer wrote after pulling the 23-year-old hurler over at 2:35 a.m. on North Dale Mabry Highway.

“I could smell a distinct odor of an alcoholic beverage coming from his breath, and his speech was slurred,” the cop wrote about Pineda, who was an All-Star in his rookie season last year with the Seattle Mariners.

The Domnican Republic native’s blood-alcohol level was found to be .128 and .125 in two separate readings, according to police records. He was charged with driving under the influence of alcohol, and released on a $500 bond from jail shortly before noon today.

Yankees General Manager Brian Cashman told The Post “no comment” when asked about Pineda’s arrest.

Poor Brian Cashman has such terrible luck with pitching acquisitions, doesn’t he?

Comments on “Pineda” Really Is Spanish For “Pavano”

1. Corey
      August 20th, 2012 | 3:11 pm

FWIW, Miguel Cabrera has more DUIs than I can count and I’d take him on my team everyday.

2. 77yankees
      August 20th, 2012 | 3:19 pm

SMH

3. Evan3457
      August 20th, 2012 | 3:53 pm

Kuroda says “hi”. And don’t pretend everyone was in love with that deal when it was made. Or even in May.

4. MJ Recanati
      August 20th, 2012 | 3:55 pm

Corey wrote:

Yep. Problem is, Cabrera is a stud so people look the other way at his transgressions. Pineda isn’t a stud so he can’t afford to be so cavalier.

5. August 20th, 2012 | 4:09 pm

Evan3457 wrote:

I see your Kuroda and raise you one Igawa and two Vazquez’s.

6. August 20th, 2012 | 4:11 pm

77yankees wrote:

SMH

Like a polariod picture.

7. August 20th, 2012 | 4:12 pm

Pineda is damn lucky he didn’t pull a Leyritz.

8. MJ Recanati
      August 20th, 2012 | 4:28 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Pineda is damn lucky he didn’t pull a Leyritz.

Or a Donte Stallworth (of the NFL).

Really, it just makes no sense how these guys just refuse to call a cab. Or, better yet, if you know you’re going to go out and have a few drinks, why not just pay for a limo for you and all your buddies (and the “Annies” you’ll pick up along the way)?

August 20th, 2012 | 6:04 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Evan3457 wrote:
      I see your Kuroda and raise you one Igawa and two Vazquez’s.

I see that and raise you two Duques and a Mussina. :p

August 20th, 2012 | 6:05 pm

Pineda’s an idiot. Never ceases to amaze me, DUI’s is probably one of the easiest fines to avoid, yet people keep getting them.