• Should The Yankees Trade Robinson Cano After This Season?

Posted by on August 21st, 2012 · Comments (28)

Robinson Cano will be a free agent after the 2013 season. And, his agent is Scott Boras. So, you know that he will be testing the market.

At his age then, which will be 31-years old, he’s probably looking to get a six to seven-year deal in the range of $120 million dollars.

He may not get it – but, knowing Boras, they will be asking for it. And, in the end, he’s going to get a nice offer from somebody (as long as he doesn’t screw up between now and that time when he’s on the market).

I know that Cano is one of the Yankees main offensive weapons at this time and should be next year as well. And, I know that he’s a Gold Glove caliber player in the field. But, doesn’t it make sense to shop him after this off-season and see what you can get for him?

And, then, in 2013, you can see if Corban Joseph or David Adams could take his spot in the field?

Granted, they will not be able to take Cano’s spot in the line-up. And, the Yankees will need offensive help in 2013 given the way that A-Rod, Teixeira and Granderson are trending. And, Nick Swisher may be gone and Derek Jeter will be a year older. So, maybe you take the last year of Cano, hope that he’s gang-busters, and then go with Joseph or Adams in 2014?

But, what if some team out there offered you a young, stud, major league ready outfielder (because they had a surplus) and something else useful for Cano? Should you take it? Remember, Swisher may be gone after this year and Granderson the year after that one.

Mason Williams and Tyler Austin are not right around the corner. If the Yankees have to fill their outfield from within, you’re looking at Melky Mesa, Ronnier Mustelier, Zoilo Almonte, or Abe Almonte. And, no, I don’t think the Yankees are going to try and sign Michael Bourn, Josh Hamilton or Shane Victorino after this season.

Again, it would have to be a super offer; but, maybe it makes sense for the Yankees to trade Cano after this season rather than let him walk away after 2013?

Comments on Should The Yankees Trade Robinson Cano After This Season?

1. Corey
      August 21st, 2012 | 5:30 pm

It’s a double edged sword..

On the one hand, I don’t want to see the Yanks resign Cano or Granderson after next year. The Yankees should take a break from signing players until they are past their old timers day prime. So in order to maximize the value they get for them, they should be traded

On the other hand, the Yanks will probably be bad if you trade these two. They are the soul of the offense, as it currently stands. And we all know the Yanks have too much money to lose if they are bad for even a year.

If it was my team? I trade them.

2. Corey
      August 21st, 2012 | 5:31 pm

=========
      Boras will ask for 10 and end up “settling” for 7.

3. Corey
      August 21st, 2012 | 5:32 pm

————————–
      Those guys can hit. If they weren’t huge injury risks, I’d have no problem with this.

4. Scout
      August 21st, 2012 | 5:38 pm

A smart GM should always listen to offers. But with only one year remaining of team control, Cano will not have much trade value, certainly not enough to return an established outfielder of consequence.

Attractive though the idea may be of letting players like Cano and Granderson walk and allowing another team to overpay for their decline years, the Yankees are built in a win-now mode. The window for players like Jeter, A-Rod, and Texeira is closing. I highly doubt the organization would be prepared to flush 2013 down the drain. So it is much more likely that the Yankees go “all in” to win next year, before the self-imposed salary limit kicks in. Adams and Joseph will either wait another year or, for at least one of them, serve as trade bait.

5. KPOcala
      August 21st, 2012 | 6:33 pm

If the Yanks can sign Cano for 5-6 years, moving him to third, A-Rod to DH, then they should do it. Same for Granderson, moving him to left field, moving Gardner to CF, and trading for a quality outfielder (Upton?). The Yankees have too many players with a short window, as noted above, to just let these guys walk. Unless some guys really force their way out of the farm system, the Yankees could be looking at years of drought. More than a few of you guys remember the dust bowl years vividly. On the plus side, we’d all have more time for productivity ;)

6. 77yankees
      August 21st, 2012 | 6:33 pm

I’d love to get Carlos Gonzalez, but the Rockies, I’d suspect, are only doing that deal for quantitive young talent.

7. K-V-C
      August 21st, 2012 | 7:15 pm

I’d certainly try to trade Cano, and if you can’t, then let him walk. I am so sick and tired of hearing how great his swing is and how he will one day win a batting title. He swings at too many balls and jogs to first to much to ever win a batting title.

I would also let Granderson go IF the Yanks could get Swisher to sign a reasonable contract. If you don’t sign Swish I think your stuck keeping Granderson. Absence is sure making people fond of Gardner.

8. Corey
      August 21st, 2012 | 9:53 pm

Scout wrote:

You can get at least 2 impact prospects for Cano plus a lottery ticket or two. Don’t underestimate the value of a in their prime 5 tool second baseman.

9. LMJ229
      August 21st, 2012 | 11:10 pm

My guess is that the Yankees will keep and attempt to resign both Cano and Granderson. In order to make it work cap-wise they will likely replace Jeter with Nunez, Hughes/Petitte/Kuroda with Phelps and Pineda, and Swisher with one of a million low cost options. Hopefully Gardner will be in left. That should give the Yanks a decent mix of high and low cost players that will work within the salary cap.

10. Scout
      August 22nd, 2012 | 7:04 am

Corey wrote:

I agree Cano can net prospects, but when was the last time the Yankees traded a star in his prime for prospects? That just is not the organization’s M.O. And the reason is simple — this team is built to win now, to take advantage of the window provided by aging-but-still-productive players. Cashman will seek to bring home a championship in 2013, not build for 2015, because by then Jeter, Sabbathia, ARod, and Texeira may no longer be significant contributors.

11. August 22nd, 2012 | 7:08 am

Scout wrote:

Good question. It may be when the sent Rickey Henderson back to the A’s. And, that was a long time ago.

12. MJ Recanati
      August 22nd, 2012 | 12:01 pm

Corey wrote:

Not in this case. Think of what you’re implying: a team would be willing to part with high-ceiling prospects for one year of Cano and no certainty beyond that. For a team without the financial capacity to sign Cano — say a team like the Mariners — why would they trade impact prospects for a one-year rental? If Cano were to be traded to a team with the financial capacity to retain Cano — say Texas, Anaheim or Los Angeles — the Yankees would be making their direct competition better at their own expense. That wouldn’t make sense.

Cano has a degree of trade value because he’s an in-his-prime second baseman and a plus offensive player but I don’t think the Yankees match up well to trade him. For that reason, they should just make him a qualifying offer, have him reject it, and then let him walk in exchange for a supplemental pick in the 2014 draft.

13. KPOcala
      August 22nd, 2012 | 12:59 pm

I can’t understand the logic in this thread. Trading Cano for nothing, letting Granderson follow? What is this, Pittsburgh? The Yanks have to have a product on the field that is entertaining and dangerous. If Cano & Granderson were up-coming free agents everyone would be talking about getting their hands on them. Unless, and this is a huge “if”, the minors spit three or four stars out next season, the Yanks must keep those guys. Or, hello 1980′s…..

August 22nd, 2012 | 5:48 pm

Steve L. wrote:

Yeah, I can’t think of anything else… And the Yanks were rebuilding. IIRC, they were pretty close on a contract when Rickey was traded.

15. LMJ229
      August 22nd, 2012 | 6:16 pm

KPOcala wrote:

Agreed. To those of you who support the idea of trading Cano and Granderson, please tell me this: who replaces them? It’s not like we have stud prospects waiting in the wings.

16. Corey
      August 22nd, 2012 | 6:45 pm

@ MJ Recanati:
      Well if we both agree that resigning Cano is a bad idea, then wouldn’t we want our rivals to do it? Especially seeing how it would handicap them a lot more than it would us? I would trade them (cano and granderson) to whoever. The better the team, the higher the ransom. Teams try it with us, why not give them a taste of their own medicine? If we could get a Tex-like return, doesn’t that make you better than if you had retained Tex (if you were the Braves). (Substitute Cano or Grandy in for Tex in this metaphor)

Also, I obviously know the Yankees would never do this. I’ve been here long enough where I shouldn’t have to write that everytime.

17. Corey
      August 22nd, 2012 | 6:56 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

They have options :

For 2b: try out David Adams and Corbin Joseph for a half year and then reevaluate if you need a trade.

For OF: Move Gardner to Center Field, resign Swisher for RF, Try out Almonte in LF for a half year like 2b or make a trade in the offseason.

Personally I try out Adams/Co-jo at second, try to trade for Justin Upton (with current prospects or prospects that you get from Cano or Grandy, or anything they want) and resign Swisher and move Gardner to CF.

Don’t know if it’s possible, but that would be my plan A.

18. Corey
      August 22nd, 2012 | 6:57 pm

One thing I want to point out:

Just because you are trading Cano, doesn’t mean the end result will be prospects. You could easily use those prospects to trade for an established player (like Upton).

19. FakeGeneMichaels
      August 22nd, 2012 | 11:38 pm

For what its worth. I seen plenty of Joseph Corbin in the minors to say the kid can flash the glove. he has some pop and will hit for decent average. He will not hit HR’s like Cano.. Corbin is not built like that. Reminds me of Brett Gardner only he plays second base. I never thought of trading Cano honestly.. I always felt he be around like Jeter, but the new CBA is making it hard on the Yankees to keep all their players..Home team discount?. Whats it worth to them to contend each year or end up on some second tier team that they might not see the playoffs again in their career?.. I have to think this plays in some BB players mind.. If the money is the reason for Cano to walk, then it makes sense to get what you can and pray its a quality player in return.. do we trust cashman to make a good deal?.. well, I will let the experts decide on that…

20. Corey
      August 23rd, 2012 | 7:46 am

FakeGeneMichaels wrote:

He will not hit HR’s like Cano..

Don’t think anyone thought Cano would hit HR’s like Cano.

21. KPOcala
      August 23rd, 2012 | 11:09 am

@ Corey: Justin Upton seems to be on a similar arc as his brother. Great talent, but the number are lacking. I’m on board with Bill James, who believes that you don’t trade players unless you know that you can replace them with better ones. Regardless, if baseball keeps up with this cap solution (collusion), well, I was a football fan for decades. I won’t put up with following a team only to get to watch teams blown up every few years….

22. MJ Recanati
      August 23rd, 2012 | 11:17 am

Corey wrote:

That’s precisely what I’m saying though: we’re not going to find very many trading counterparties for Cano so this wouldn’t work.

Corey wrote:

Teixeira was traded from Texas to Atlanta with 18 months of control left. Cano would have only 12 months of control left. Just look at the difference in packages between what Atlanta gave up and what the Angels gave up to acquire Teixeira from Atlanta the following season. You’re not going to get much for Cano at this point, based on his impending free agency and the fact that very few teams will want to keep him long term.

23. MJ Recanati
      August 23rd, 2012 | 11:19 am

FakeGeneMichaels wrote:

There are plenty of teams taht contend each year. Cano wouldn’t be sacrificing much if he picked the Dodgers, Rangers, Angels, etc. over the Yankees.

24. MJ Recanati
      August 23rd, 2012 | 11:25 am

KPOcala wrote:

Why do you say the numbers are lacking? Upton turns 25 on Sunday and has put up a career .276/.357/.473 line with a 115 OPS+.

Doesn’t seem lacking to me.

25. FakeGeneMichaels
      August 23rd, 2012 | 11:58 am

MJ Recanati wrote:

MJ you have a point, but have you seen the recent SURGE in the Angels Dodgers and Texas payroll? perhaps a team like the Braves would have interest now that Chipper is retiring.Cano would put them over the cap.. I guess anything is possible.. Before we get into this, have you read the article about Cashman not fully understanding the new CBA?. and it wasn’t until this pass November 2011 that he realized the pickle jar the Yankees are in because of this?.. I have to find you the link and send it. The short is he didnt understand that he doesn’t get compensation for a player who is signed away in FA like the old agreement. He has to make an offer and the draft pick is in a lottery award. But i thought the point of this thread was to decide on a trade or to sign him.. And really when you think about it, how many teams can really afford to take on a 100mm+ salary that Cano is going to demand? Unless some small or mid size market team is going to go all out and spend big in 2013 and build around a guy like Cano,(which I dont see why they would) but most teams are going to go with their farm system and keep the cost down. that is the purpose of this new CBA or as I like to see it as HOW TO SCREW THE YANKEES.. The new CBA has a ceiling but the floor cap is still very gray on the amount they have to spend.. Which really pisses me off. we can dissect this all day, the best solution would be in my estimate is for a guy like Cano to give the Yankees a home discount and play out his career contending for a WS win for the next 5 to 6 years.. but then again, Boras is his agent, so, that will not work I am sure. At some point, a player has two choices, take the money and run with the option of not ever seeing the playoffs again or simply stay put, get the best $$ you can but contend with a winning team each year.. I am hoping for the latter with Cano.. But if its not in the cards, I wish him all the best in the world and it was nice while it lasted…

26. FakeGeneMichaels
      August 23rd, 2012 | 12:26 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

Let you in on some inside information I know.. the Yankees will offer Kuroda a new contract two years at 12.5 to 13mm with a third year option. Pettitte will return only if he wants to and at the same price. Phelps is in the Yankee future plan, although it’s still not clear on what they will do with Hughes but, the Yankees are going to wait it out and first address Cano, Swisher and Graddy.. Hughes is not a consideration from what I was told. IMO I cant wait for him to be gone so no big loss if he goes.. Nova has two options, either he get straighten out or he will be packaged in a deal and shipped out. Perhaps this shoulder injury is a blessing in disguise because from what I am told, he is will have to pitch in the minors before getting another start in this rotation. Eduardo Nunez is not in the Yankee future anymore. At all cost, the Yankees want to move him and fast. A trade? not sure but as it was explain to me, not much value for a speedy guy who simply can not field his position but I would think someone would use him off the bench.

27. Corey
      August 23rd, 2012 | 1:15 pm

KPOcala wrote:

Up until this year, Upton has had superstar numbers. Early in the year, Upton hurt his hand really bad and the D-backs were contemplating putting him on the dl and he refused to. He played hurt and, personally, I don’t think his hand has ever healed and that’s why his numbers are as they are. I’ve been following Upton extremely closely for 2 years (he’s been on my fantasy team) and I would bet the farm that he’ll go back to having MVP type years in the future.

28. KPOcala
      August 23rd, 2012 | 10:38 pm

@ Corey:
      Corey, with all due respect. On the plus side Justin is only 24 with two seasons with two very good seasons offensively, and has a reputation for sterling defense. His other seasons were slightly above average, injuries, youth, being pitched to differently, as being the likely causes. And he plays in a weak sister division, so hard to say. I looked his career over on baseball-ref, he may become great, but right now he isn’t a true “super-star”. I’m not trying to tear him down, but of all his “comps”, none made it to the HOF (no shame in being the next Ruben Sierra), but I’ve lived through enough careers to not get too geeked over him. In summary, I’d like him on the team for the right price….