• Yankees Skid Coming?

Posted by on August 22nd, 2012 · Comments (6)

The Yankees have now lost 4 of their last 6 games.  Is this the start of a bad streak for them?

I doubt it – with them playing the Indians and Blue Jays after they finish out with the White Sox.

That should help New York get on the right track before they have to face the O’s and the Rays in some tough games – ten in a row.

But, if the Yankees don’t win at least four of those games against Cleveland and Toronto, then the heat is on come August 31st.

Comments on Yankees Skid Coming?

1. LMJ229
      August 22nd, 2012 | 9:25 am

I’d like to see more of Eric Chavez in the line-up and wouldn’t mind seeing Phelps replace Nova in the rotation. But the bottom line is the Yankees need to get healthy.

2. PocketAces
      August 22nd, 2012 | 11:21 am

Off topic (sorry):

Derek Jeter is exactly 1000 hits from Pete Rose’s all time record.

1. Percent chance he is the all time hit king at the end of his career
      2. Percent chance of 3500 hits?
      3. Percent chance of 3750 hits?
      4. Percent chance of 4000 hits?

Personally, I think:

1. 10%
      2. 100%
      3. 60%
      4. 40%

Obviously, this is just a rube’s opinion. However, I think Jeter is intellectual with regards to his career. He will try and extend it until there is nothing left in the tank because he knows, when it is over………..it is over. He is keeping himself in shape and swinging the bat really well this year.

Will the Yankee’s cut this short and not resign him at some point? I don’t know if they can do that at this point. Jeter obviously won’t play for another team for 1-2 years at the end of his career as others have, but I think the Yankees are almost at a point where they will have to sign him until it is painfully obvious Jeter has nothing left to give.

From a business sense they have to do what is best in the long run…..from a Public Relations/fan base (local and nation wide)they may be stuck.

I am from North Dakota, dad loved they Yankees with Maris and Mantle. Therefore I love the Yankees (started with Reggie and continues today). As I said, I am a rube, but I wanna see him go as far as he can. Which makes it a good thing, I don’t run the team!!

3. MJ Recanati
      August 22nd, 2012 | 12:07 pm

LMJ229 wrote:

I’d caution against playing Chavez every day, given his fragility. Also, if you look at his career splits vs. LHP, it’s not pretty. He’s best as a platoon player, facing RHP.

As for Phelps/Nova, when Sabathia comes back, it should be Garcia sent back to the bullpen. If Pettitte comes back, then Nova should be sent out of the rotation. Assuming the full health of our top three starters (Sabathia-Kuroda-Pettitte), Hughes should get the fourth spot in the rotation for the playoffs.

4. LMJ229
      August 22nd, 2012 | 5:51 pm

@ PocketAces:
      I’m thinking Jeter would have to accept a huge pay cut for the Yankees to bring him back beyond 2013 due to the salary cap and considering Jeter’s ego I’m not sure he would accept that. Maybe the Yankees can promise him some sort of personal services contract after he retires to sweeten the deal if they do want him back at that point in time.

5. Evan3457
      August 23rd, 2012 | 12:46 am

Assuming Jeter stays on the same pace for the rest of the year, he’ll wind up with 222 hits for the Season, and his career total at the end of the season will be 3310. Then, by the Favorite Toy:

3500: 97% (residual 3% comes from the possibility of him suffering a career ending injury before he can get to 3500.)

3772 (Pass Aaron for 3rd all-time): 28%

4000: 2%

4190: (Pass Cobb for 2nd all-time): 0%

Pass Rose: 0%

Remember, a major element in Rose’s success in passing Cobb was that he had a sympathetic manager who insisted on writing his name in the lineup long after he ceased to be any kind of a productive player, and, in fact, was a sever drag on his team.

August 23rd, 2012 | 7:40 am